Page 570 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 704705205605685695705715725806206701070 ... LastLast
Results 11,381 to 11,400 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Somebody will need to be the bad guy who stops him. Trump is now on record trying regardless of the outcome.
    Some one will have to as it's a matter of money. I mean, GA and FL don't have the money to pay an extra $100 on top of their benefits. They can barely pay any benefits as is.

It’s been a long time since I believed this... IMO, Trump is going to make some voters very happy with the executive orders, he just signed, about the coronavirus.
    Can you elaborate a bit? And will he make "most voters happy" or just "some voters?" From an electoral standpoint, there is a big difference.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Somebody will need to be the bad guy who stops him. Trump is now on record trying regardless of the outcome.
    Yup, it will be interesting to see if he gets some headwind with the media out of it. It has been a while since he unabashedly won a news cycle but he certainly could on this one.

As for someone "being the bad guy who stops him," I could easily see Pelosi saying the following:

"The President has circumvented the normal way Washington does business. In doing so, he has broken our system of checks and balances and challenged the power of congress to determine how the nation spends money. The House already voted on a plan that goes even further in efforts to help the American people. In fact, by taking this action, the President allows Mitch McConnell, Lindsay Graham, Cory Gardner, Susan Collins, Joni Ernst, Tom Tillis, and Martha McSally to continue to do nothing for the American people. We were trying to negotiate a deal that would go far far far beyond what the President has done. It would put even more money in the pockets of struggling Americans. It would have funded a safe and secure election this fall. It would have helped struggling businesses. It would have provided badly needed relief to state and local governments. But the Republicans think they can blocks all those important programs and still look like the good guys because the President tried to do something he is not allowed to do. Shame on them for not really helping anyone."
    I hope folks don't see that as overly partisan. I was just trying to explain how the Democrats in congress could try to turn this back on the GOP while also refusing to allow the President to overstep the bounds of the Executive branch.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I have been informed that this tweet is trending... it did not age well: https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...207808?lang=en

@realDonaldTrump
    Jul 10, 2012
    Why is @BarackObama constantly issuing executive orders that are major power grabs of authority?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yup, it will be interesting to see if he gets some headwind with the media out of it. It has been a while since he unabashedly won a news cycle but he certainly could on this one.

As for someone "being the bad guy who stops him," I could easily see Pelosi saying the following:

I hope folks don't see that as overly partisan. I was just trying to explain how the Democrats in congress could try to turn this back on the GOP while also refusing to allow the President to overstep the bounds of the Executive branch.
    I agree with you but unfortunately, the average American does not have an attention span that extends beyond a tweet with lots of capital letters, punctuation marks and a negative adjective describing an opponent in a way that until 2016 would have disqualified the speaker from running for public office. Democrats need to learn that the rules of combat have changed and change plans accordingly. The Lincoln Project is doing this on their behalf but that won't be enough to win it for them in November.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Can you elaborate a bit? And will he make "most voters happy" or just "some voters?" From an electoral standpoint, there is a big difference.
    IMO, some swing voters, who definitely matter. Most Americans will not analyze this issue anywhere near as much as most DBR posters. On the surface, it appears Trump is trying to help his fellow Americans in their time of need. And, it’s not the rich and wealthy.

To be total honest, I don’t want to spend my Saturday night going one on many on this topic. No doubt, almost everyone posting on this thread truly dislikes Trump. I’m not a fan, but will admit when I think he makes a very good strategic move. I think Trump just did, and it’s been a long time since I believe he previously did.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I agree with you but unfortunately, the average American does not have an attention span that extends beyond a tweet with lots of capital letters, punctuation marks and a negative adjective describing an opponent in a way that until 2016 would have disqualified the speaker from running for public office. Democrats need to learn that the rules of combat have changed and change plans accordingly. The Lincoln Project is doing this on their behalf but that won't be enough to win it for them in November.
    Exactly, the game is always changing and you must adjust accordingly to win.

I wish they could go ahead and do the stimulus checks. There are lots of folks that can use that now. And many are elderly. All of them need to get it together and get a deal done.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    I wish they could go ahead and do the stimulus checks. There are lots of folks that can use that now. And many are elderly. All of them need to get it together and get a deal done.
    I agree and think there are a lot of important items that could be done in a stimulus deal (checks, unemployment benefits, helping state/local govts who have been devastated by lost tax revenues, helping ensure a safe voting process) but now that Trump went ahead and did it on his own in a partial way, I suspect the GOP in the senate won’t be interested in cutting a new deal.

The checks to families were mentioned but omitted from the four items he signed off on. Evidently they are coming, but better sooner than later. Both sides say they are going to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    The checks to families were mentioned but omitted from the four items he signed off on. Evidently they are coming, but better sooner than later. Both sides say they are going to do it.
    Having some logical difficulties. The President has no authority* to do much of what he signed executive orders for. He certainly has no authority to give checks to individuals. I suppose someone drew the line somewhere.

*Let's see. Stop payroll tax withholding. Isn't that essential to fund Social Security and doesn't public law requires that employers withhold and submit to SSA? There's more, but the dust will fly starting tomorrow.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Having some logical difficulties. The President has no authority* to do much of what he signed executive orders for. He certainly has no authority to give checks to individuals. I suppose someone drew the line somewhere.

*Let's see. Stop payroll tax withholding. Isn't that essential to fund Social Security and doesn't public law requires that employers withhold and submit to SSA? There's more, but the dust will fly starting tomorrow.
    Dust? Is that what comes out of mummies? I know much of congress is way past retirement age, but...

IMO, some swing voters, who definitely matter. Most Americans will not analyze this issue anywhere near as much as most DBR posters. On the surface, it appears Trump is trying to help his fellow Americans in their time of need. And, it’s not the rich and wealthy.

To be total honest, I don’t want to spend my Saturday night going one on many on this topic. No doubt, almost everyone posting on this thread truly dislikes Trump. I’m not a fan, but will admit when I think he makes a very good strategic move. I think Trump just did, and it’s been a long time since I believe he previously did.
    While I agree that most will not analyze the issue as much as those here at DBR, I think you underestimate the intelligence of the American electorate. Especially, given 3 1/2 years of evidence. They can simply contrast this action with his recent history. In other words, it isn't that complicated.

A major question is exactly how much unallocated money is available to him for augmenting unemployment? He can't legally use money that Congress hasn't authorized, though he can arguably move some around. Can't imagine it's anywhere near the trillion the WH said they were willing to spend in a new bill (which could have funded both unemployment AND more $1200 checks).

p.s. just saw an article in the WaPo which said money redirected from FEMA would fund enhanced unemployment benefits for about five weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    A major question is exactly how much unallocated money is available to him for augmenting unemployment? He can't legally use money that Congress hasn't authorized, though he can arguably move some around. Can't imagine it's anywhere near the trillion the WH said they were willing to spend in a new bill (which could have funded both unemployment AND more $1200 checks).

p.s. just saw an article in the WaPo which said money redirected from FEMA would fund enhanced unemployment benefits for about five weeks...
    In hurricane season? I see no downside here...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Beat me to it. In what is already one of the most active seasons ever.

And most of the states that tend to get hit by hurricanes are theoretically in play. Though as I understand it, there is typically a pretty long lag until FEMA money gets paid out, so he can always promise FEMA funds and then either figure out how to actually find the money after the election or make it the next guy's problem...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    And most of the states that tend to get hit by hurricanes are theoretically in play. Though as I understand it, there is typically a pretty long lag until FEMA money gets paid out, so he can always promise FEMA funds and then either figure out how to actually find the money after the election or make it the next guy's problem...
    A politician making empty promises?? Well I never...

Nor would the executive order(s) be sufficient to fund new $1200 stimulus checks...I somehow get the impression that Mnuchin and the Dems could reach a deal, I don't think Meadows will, we'll see...

it is with great reluctance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3jSsg1TlP4