Page 1454 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 454954135414041444145214531454145514561464150415541954 ... LastLast
Results 29,061 to 29,080 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hoping fuse didn't have a 5th Monday again this week/today, the 5th Friday of the month...
    It was half a Friday and half a Monday.
    The first half was a good Friday and then I made the mistake of recognizing that and cursed myself. 🤣

New Anthem The Amen Break
    Citra Mosaic Double Dry Hopped DIPA

Muddy grapefruit juice in colour (“hazy”).

Orange, grapefruit, lime nose. Yum.

Rich, full mouthfeel, tongue coating.

Orange, grapefruit and lime flavours mimic the nose.

Yup, New Anthem brews good beer.

Again, many thanks to richardjackson199 and thebeergoddess.

Skol! 🍻

Another Galaxy hop-featured beer, this time a pale ale:

Galaxy Pale Strider (draft)-Walking Man Brewing

This brewery was less than a 2 mile drive from our night's lodging and we walked in with limited expectations and were pleasantly surprised by the food and their malted beverages. So, you guessed it: drink local!

Beer #1 on my four beer flight. As the name implies/suggests, it's a single hop pale ale and was a light yellow-amber with no head. The expected tropical fruit blast from the Australian hops never materialized and my olfactory lobe was greeted faintly with stone fruits and hints of the tropics. Tastes were subdued, too, and consisted of fruit punch, some pineapple and guava with a touch of pine at the end. IBUs were 35 and the ABV rolled in at 5%, both pretty standard for the style. Mrs. dd and I shared a smoked salmon garden salad and a chicken, feta, hummus, cucumber and red onion Naan wrap and I thought both matched nicely with the first beer. Mrs. dd, of course, said, "It tastes and smells like beer."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I have a couple good stories about home brewing... 😎

It was half a Friday and half a Monday.
    The first half was a good Friday and then I made the mistake of recognizing that and cursed myself. 🤣
    At least you didn't curse me...

(that I heard anyway )

Skol! 🍻
    Hoping Nrrrrvous is reading this as he spends a long weekend "local" to New Anthem.

Galaxy Painting gone. Given RJ199 and fuse's "lowered expectations" (quoting RJ199 from a text), this was a rather enjoyable IPA. Review to follow and the BLT with which it was paired was far better than any poptart talk.

Homebrew story number one

For my first brew, I wanted to brew an Anchor Steam clone.

Read a lot of Papazian and other books.
    Headed to Atlantic Brewing Company off Capital.

Picked up a prepackaged kit- 5 gallon plastic bucket, lid, bottle capper and a bunch of 22oz bombers in addition to the malt syrup and hop pellets.

Whole apartment smells like malt during the boil.

I was as detailed as I could be on sanitation.

I brewed what I thought was a respectable Anchor Steam clone at (one time costs aside) a quarter of what Anchor Steam cost.

Satisfying, indeed.

I kept 6 bottles back as I was curious how it would do over time.

The final two bottles yielded a surprise.
    California Common / Steam beer uses lager yeast at ale temperatures.

After a year in the fridge, the final two beers has lagered, and transformed into a respectable approximation of a macro lager. Instead of amber and malty, it turned clear gold and hoppy.

Perhaps my best science experiment.

Homebrew story number one

For my first brew, I wanted to brew an Anchor Steam clone.

Read a lot of Papazian and other books.
    Headed to Atlantic Brewing Company off Capital.

Picked up a prepackaged kit- 5 gallon plastic bucket, lid, bottle capper and a bunch of 22oz bombers in addition to the malt syrup and hop pellets.

Whole apartment smells like malt during the boil.

I was as detailed as I could be on sanitation.

I brewed what I thought was a respectable Anchor Steam clone at (one time costs aside) a quarter of what Anchor Steam cost.

Satisfying, indeed.

I kept 6 bottles back as I was curious how it would do over time.

The final two bottles yielded a surprise.
    California Common / Steam beer uses lager yeast at ale temperatures.

After a year in the fridge, the final two beers has lagered, and transformed into a respectable approximation of a macro lager. Instead of amber and malty, it turned clear gold and hoppy.

Perhaps my best science experiment.
    Thanks for sharing!

Another Galaxy hops beer, this time with Chinook which is not one of my favorite varieties:

Blizzard of Hops-Troegs Independent Brewing

Bottle #3 from Saturday from August West. Thank you! Again.

A rather fascinating winter IPA with a cloudy, lemon-colored pour with a small off-white head. This stuff smells like freshly squeezed lemon juice and tastes like candied grapefruit, dried fruitcake pineapple (I like fruitcake ) but not the nasty green stuff (), with slivers of lemon and orange rinds and a hint of resin. The explanation lies in the hop and grain varieties (pilsner=lemon-y; wheat=orange-y). IBUs (claimed) at 80 but drinks more like 50 with the ABV at 6.4%. Quite a nice style/effort/seasonal offering. Ingredients:

Malt: Pilsner, Unmalted Wheat, White Wheat
    Hops: Centennial, Chinook, El Dorado
    Dry Hops: Chinook, Galaxy
    Yeast: Ale

Homebrew Story Number Two

Do you really learn more from failure?

For whatever reason after reading all these brewing books, I got it in my head I wanted to brew a strawberry ale.

The directions were super clear about boiling the strawberries, and for a specific period of time.

I got concerned as the strawberries started to lose their color and start disintegrating, so I cut the boil short.

I was living in Duke Manor apartments at the time, and while close to Duke, a safe neighborhood, it was not. I had my bike stolen off my front porch chained to a metal post while living there, and my car broken into and the rear speaker shelf ripped out.

I left the beer post brewing to sit in a closet.

About three am one morning, I jolt awake to a gunshot, and somehow fall back asleep. Then a second gunshot, and a third, sounding like they are coming from in the apartment.

I get out of bed, very unawake, and it dawns on me. I open the closet, and the neck of three bottles have sheared off and beer foam is just flowing like a middle school volcano science project.

I uncap all the rest, and down the drain they go.

I never lost another batch to bad sanitation practices after that.

Score: 1 good batch, second batch, bad.
    Some lessons you learn the hard way, although these days maybe it was just being ahead of my time with a spontanteous fermented beer. 🤣

Third and final homebrew story.

My early brewing stories are rooted in admiration for Anchor.

Anchor used to make a unique holiday beer, Our Special Ale, with a secret ingredient every year ( usually indicated by a different tree on the label each year).

One year the special ingredient was spruce.
    I really, really liked it and tried to replicate it.

Atlantic had spruce extract, and the directions were very clear. 1 teaspoon per gallon or the whole bottle for a 5 gallon batch. For perspective, the bottle was the size of a typical vanilla extract bottle.

I wait the two weeks for bottle conditioning.
    Super excited, I crack the first bottle open.

We lived in a 1700 square foot home at the time and the instant I pop the top, the whole house smells like Pine Sol. Not kidding or exaggerating.

I pour into the glass and the nose is overwhelming, like someone is drowning you in a spruce tree.

The first sip was like trying to drink a tree. While I have never actually tasted Pine Sol, this beer tasted exactly like I expect Pine Sol should.

Utterly undrinkable. Down the drain it goes.
    I try a couple more over a month, no difference so I decide to cellar them for a year until the next holiday season.

Open another - no difference a year later.
    Just a spruce bomb.

Reluctantly, I pour out all but six 22oz bombers.

Year two, no change.
    Year three, no change.
    Year four, all the rest go down the drain.

I’m convinced to this day that if I had used one teaspoon instead of the whole bottle, it might have come out perfectly.

Crooked Stave Omnipollo
    Bianca Raspberry & Vanilla Sherbet
    Wild Wild Brett

Wild Ale fermented in oak foeders with raspberries, vanilla and lactose.
    4.6% ABV

A gorgeous ruby red in the glass, no head.

Could be mistaken for a deep rose or light pinot noir visually.

The nose is funky and not fruity at all.
    Wet straw or hay.

Whoa, mouth puckering sour. Surprising.

After the sour is done punching you right in the face, the gentle sweetness of raspberry flows over your tongue. The finish is again tart and dry.

I’m not quite sure where the lactose and vanilla come in, at all.

A pretty nice dessert in a glass.

Skol! 🍻

Homebrew Story Number Two

Do you really learn more from failure?

For whatever reason after reading all these brewing books, I got it in my head I wanted to brew a strawberry ale.

The directions were super clear about boiling the strawberries, and for a specific period of time.

I got concerned as the strawberries started to lose their color and start disintegrating, so I cut the boil short.

I was living in Duke Manor apartments at the time, and while close to Duke, a safe neighborhood, it was not. I had my bike stolen off my front porch chained to a metal post while living there, and my car broken into and the rear speaker shelf ripped out.

I left the beer post brewing to sit in a closet.

About three am one morning, I jolt awake to a gunshot, and somehow fall back asleep. Then a second gunshot, and a third, sounding like they are coming from in the apartment.

I get out of bed, very unawake, and it dawns on me. I open the closet, and the neck of three bottles have sheared off and beer foam is just flowing like a middle school volcano science project.

I uncap all the rest, and down the drain they go.

I never lost another batch to bad sanitation practices after that.

Score: 1 good batch, second batch, bad.
    Some lessons you learn the hard way, although these days maybe it was just being ahead of my time with a spontanteous fermented beer. 🤣
    Definitely ahead of your time.

Another great story.

Third and final homebrew story.

My early brewing stories are rooted in admiration for Anchor.

Anchor used to make a unique holiday beer, Our Special Ale, with a secret ingredient every year ( usually indicated by a different tree on the label each year).

One year the special ingredient was spruce.
    I really, really liked it and tried to replicate it.

Atlantic had spruce extract, and the directions were very clear. 1 teaspoon per gallon or the whole bottle for a 5 gallon batch. For perspective, the bottle was the size of a typical vanilla extract bottle.

I wait the two weeks for bottle conditioning.
    Super excited, I crack the first bottle open.

We lived in a 1700 square foot home at the time and the instant I pop the top, the whole house smells like Pine Sol. Not kidding or exaggerating.

I pour into the glass and the nose is overwhelming, like someone is drowning you in a spruce tree.

The first sip was like trying to drink a tree. While I have never actually tasted Pine Sol, this beer tasted exactly like I expect Pine Sol should.

Utterly undrinkable. Down the drain it goes.
    I try a couple more over a month, no difference so I decide to cellar them for a year until the next holiday season.

Open another - no difference a year later.
    Just a spruce bomb.

Reluctantly, I pour out all but six 22oz bombers.

Year two, no change.
    Year three, no change.
    Year four, all the rest go down the drain.

I’m convinced to this day that if I had used one teaspoon instead of the whole bottle, it might have come out perfectly.
    You *know* it would have.

I guess I still wish I had done some home-brewing.

Nah, but I'd probably have an interesting story or three to tell.

Another Galaxy hops beer, this time a DIPA with a blend of hops:

Stardust to Stardust-North High Brewing Company

Traded some NC brews for some Ohio brews about 10 days ago and this was one of them.

"This Imperial IPA is inspired by some of the greatest music ever made and crafted with the best interstellar hops we could find."

Or:

"Brewed to celebrate the life of David Bowie, Stardust To Stardust is brewed with Galaxy, Apollo, and Comet hops." (And Bravo hops, too.)

The pour from a 12 ounce can was cloudy yellow with a modest, foamy head. Pineapple-y and grapefruit-y nose with the same tastes plus a bit of rind and resin. Mild light brown sugar sweetness. IBUs at 72 and the ABV is 8.8%. Round up some mildly spicy fare with a glass of this. Looking forward to trading a couple and sharing a couple and having another all to myself in a couple weeks.

Skol! 🍻
    Amen to that! Just cracked open the last one of these.

Cheers to a great Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to you and all who read here

New Grass Galaxy Painting
    Double Dry Hopped Galaxy IPA
    7% ABV

Transient head that started out pretty thick.

Cracking the can filled the air with citrusy hops.

Nose is pineapple and grapefruit.

Pretty hazy grapefruit juice appearance.

First sip hit me with a shocking “Keystone bitter beer face” reaction, off to find something snacky to cleanse the palate.

Even after, this beer still falls on the side of bruisingly bitter. There are definitely fruity notes on the front palate whose delicate and ephemeral notes really are overwhelmed by grapefruit pith and a bit of pine and resin.

This is definitely a beer where temperature is a factor, becoming more enjoyable as it warms up.

Another excellent find by richardjackson199 and beergoddess!

Skol! 🍻
    From last PM:

Galaxy Painting-Newgrass Brewing Company

Partial credit for local

Credit-recent trader from RJ199 and the beergoddess; thanks!!
    Style-IPA, but could looked a NEIPA
    Format-pint can; interesting label/artwork
    Glassware-yes
    Good looks-yes, pineapple grapefruit juice; modest, stayed for a while head
    Nose-fuse got it
    Mouthfeel-maybe not quite *that* bitter
    Tastes-grapefruit, pineapple, lots and lots of rind and pith; hints of guava and pine; agreed on the warming factor
    Bitterness-probably 60 to 65
    Booze-7% ABV
    Overall impression-probably liked this more than RJ199 and perhaps a bit less than or equal to fuse
    Ymm, Beer rating-mid/upper cat 2; paired well with a homemade BLT, fresh tomatoes and some kettle chips; I'd drink RJ199's last can if offered

From last PM:

Galaxy Painting-Newgrass Brewing Company

Partial credit for local

Credit-recent trader from RJ199 and the beergoddess; thanks!!
    Style-IPA, but could looked a NEIPA
    Format-pint can; interesting label/artwork
    Glassware-yes
    Good looks-yes, pineapple grapefruit juice; modest, stayed for a while head
    Nose-fuse got it
    Mouthfeel-maybe not quite *that* bitter
    Tastes-grapefruit, pineapple, lots and lots of rind and pith; hints of guava and pine; agreed on the warming factor
    Bitterness-probably 60 to 65
    Booze-7% ABV
    Overall impression-probably liked this more than RJ199 and perhaps a bit less than or equal to fuse
    Ymm, Beer rating-mid/upper cat 2; paired well with a homemade BLT, fresh tomatoes and some kettle chips; I'd drink RJ199's last can if offered
    No candy was harmed whilst consuming this IPA.

Last Galaxy hop featured beer. Promise. Maybe.

Galaxy High-Madtree Brewing Company

Canned
    01/16/2019
    10:19:47
    CORYDIDN'T

More local/non-local trading!

This is another 12 ounce can from their Limited Series, this time featuring Galaxy hops (plus a couple or three others).

Pour was pretty similar to the Citra High's light bronze-copper with a very slight haze. It's another IIPA and not a NEIPA. Tastes were a bit more pine/resin forward but not unpleasantly so with a fair amount of "oiliness" along with orange and grapefruit rinds and moderate tropical and citrusy juiciness. Honey isn't added but it is a bit sweet. IBUs are an astonishing 120 (118 below) but I'd have never guessed that with the well-balanced ABV of 9.5% (10.2 below). I think I preferred the Citra High a bit more but this is still a very high quality DIPA. Ingredients below:

"GALAXY HIGH
    Size: 5 gal
    Efficiency: 82.35%
    Attenuation: 92.0%
    Original Gravity: 1.084
    Terminal Gravity: 1.007
    Color: 9.36
    Alcohol: 10.21%
    Bitterness: 117.6
    INGREDIENTS:
    10.43 lb (71.9%) 2-Row Brewers Malt - added during mash
    2.23 lb (15.4%) Vienna Malt - added during mash
    0.5 lb (3.4%) 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L - added during mash
    0.25 lb (2.4%) 2-Row Carapils Malt - added during mash
    0.5 oz (5.7%) Galena (13.1%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
    0.57 oz (6.5%) Topaz (16.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
    0.58 oz (6.6%) Topaz (16.2%) - added during boil, boiled 30 m
    0.39 oz (4.4%) Topaz (16.2%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
    0.58 oz (6.6%) Galaxy (14.8%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
    1 lb (6.8%) Corn Sugar - added during boil, boiled 10 m
    0.77 oz (8.8%) Galaxy (14.8%) - added after boil, steeped 15 m
    0.77 oz (8.8%) Topaz (16.2%) - added after boil, steeped 15 m
    0.1 lb (17.6%) Galaxy (14.8%) - added dry to primary fermenter
    0.05 lb (8.8%) Topaz (16.2%) - added dry to primary fermenter
    0.1 lb (17.6%) Galaxy (14.8%) - added dry to primary fermenter
    0.05 lb (8.8%) Topaz (16.2%) - added dry to primary fermenter"
    This one with sort of a recipe for those reading with home brewing stories.