Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RIP Congressman John Lewis

He lived 80 of the most productive and meaningful years you will ever see. A true giant of American history and a symbol to which we all should aspire.

Here is what the "other side" is saying about him tonight...
    House Republican Whip Steve Scalise, R-La., released a statement saying "John Lewis was a legend who helped pave the way for so many of the victories achieved throughout the civil rights movement. As accomplished and revered as he was, he never stopped working to advance the cause of equality and justice for all, even in his final days as he was battling for his own life."

"I was proud to call John Lewis a friend, and he will be deeply missed. America is a more perfect union because of the blood, sweat, and tears sacrificed by the great John Lewis," the statement concluded.
    I was blessed to spend a bit of time with him little more than a year ago. I was given the job of producing 4 videos about his life that are now part of a museum display in the main atrium of the Atlanta Airport. In normal times, more people walk past my videos in a week than visit the Natural History Museum in New York in a year.

Anyway, spending that time with him was a blessing I will never be able to repay. The man was inspiring and humble. If he felt his age, he did not show it constantly talking about what mission and message he would move on to next, always focused on how his words and deeds could impact the next generation.

I barely knew him but I am shedding a tear tonight. Our nation, our world, is a much poorer place for his passing.

Thank you, John, for trying to make all of us a little bit better.

Jason “" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 07-18-2020 at 12:51 AM.

Such a sad and profound loss.

Well said, a very tough loss. I loved his stories about getting into "good trouble". An icon and hero for sure. He will be missed.

Our country has lost a great political leader but has lost an even better human being. He and and his very good friend, Dr. King are in a way better place today. God bless Congressman Lewis and his family.

Jason, Are the videos you produced available on line? I would really like to see them.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Jason, Are the videos you produced available on line? I would really like to see them.
    What sage said.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    He was one of the last of the congressional Old Guard, truly working across the aisle to get things done. I can't remember about who he was talking about, but in one of the committee hearings that he was leading, things were getting a bit acrimonious, and he told about how he is really good friends with one of the opposition house members. He talked about how he'd have dinner at his house, do things with this family.
    It was a rare moment, and unfortunately we seem to be losing more and more of those folks as they retire, or in Rep Lewis' case, pass away.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I was blessed to spend a bit of time with him little more than a year ago. I was given the job of producing 4 videos about his life that are now part of a museum display in the main atrium of the Atlanta Airport. In normal times, more people walk past my videos in a week than visit the Natural History Museum in New York in a year.
    Very cool story, Jason. I will look for them whenever air travel resumes for me. That is a LOT of exposure!

On John Lewis — he was a giant in Georgia and I am glad to see the national recognition for his contributions to the struggle for equality. I did not always agree with his politics, but there was absolutely no doubting his earned commitment to racial equality and what he called “good trouble.” He lived a life of leadership for a just cause and was willing to suffer physically for his beliefs. (Witness, the fractured skull he suffered in Selma on Bloody Sunday).

Well done, John. Rest In Peace.

Such a loss for our country. I watch very little tv but a few weeks ago I watched Good Trouble, the new movie about his life - I recommended it in the “movies during a pandemic” thread and continue to do so. What an incredible man - he made tremendous sacrifices to make America a better place. I was fortunate to briefly live in his district.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Sadly, they are not. Only way to see them is to visit the ATL airport.

To be clear this was not an extensive documentary project. These videos were designed to be easy to digest, the kind of thing where you are walking by and it catches your attention for 3 minutes. There were 3 videos that ran about 5 minutes each which were a combination of text and photos... one showing his path from childhood to being involved in civil rights (he used to preach to the chickens on his family farm, which is how he became a public speaker); one showing his role in the civil rights movement; and one showing his career as a public servant starting in the mid-1970s. Then, there was a video that was about 10 minutes that was a collection of some of the most inspiring stories and advice from a pair of commencement addresses he gave in 2018. Lastly, there was a video in the center of the whole thing that was a montage of booking photos from the many, many times he got arrested for getting into "good trouble."

Here is a photo of the exhibit being unveiled to Lewis. Lots of local media in attendance.

56523156_10156864662361539_5054620029954293760_n.jpg
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Sadly, they are not. Only way to see them is to visit the ATL airport.

To be clear this was not an extensive documentary project. These videos were designed to be easy to digest, the kind of thing where you are walking by and it catches your attention for 3 minutes. There were 3 videos that ran about 5 minutes each which were a combination of text and photos... one showing his path from childhood to being involved in civil rights (he used to preach to the chickens on his family farm, which is how he became a public speaker); one showing his role in the civil rights movement; and one showing his career as a public servant starting in the mid-1970s. Then, there was a video that was about 10 minutes that was a collection of some of the most inspiring stories and advice from a pair of commencement addresses he gave in 2018. Lastly, there was a video in the center of the whole thing that was a montage of booking photos from the many, many times he got arrested for getting into "good trouble."
    Found better pictures from the Atl Journal-Constitution story on the exhibit:

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The word "hero" is at risk of being overused these days, but not in the case of Mr. Lewis...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    He was one of the last of the congressional Old Guard, truly working across the aisle to get things done. I can't remember about who he was talking about, but in one of the committee hearings that he was leading, things were getting a bit acrimonious, and he told about how he is really good friends with one of the opposition house members. He talked about how he'd have dinner at his house, do things with this family.
    It was a rare moment, and unfortunately we seem to be losing more and more of those folks as they retire, or in Rep Lewis' case, pass away.
    El Diablo sent me a PM, and thankfully called me out for an error. I had my congressmen wrong, and was thinking of Elijah Cummings in his story of friendship.
    But, it also hardens my thoughts on how we are losing these people who can reach across the aisle to make things happen. While the story may not have been Lewis', he has been been paid tribute to many Republicans in true friendship. I fear that is something we are losing in Congress, and just as importantly, the country.

Sporks to E D for getting my memory correct.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    El Diablo sent me a PM, and thankfully called me out for an error. I had my congressmen wrong, and was thinking of Elijah Cummings in his story of friendship.
    But, it also hardens my thoughts on how we are losing these people who can reach across the aisle to make things happen. While the story may not have been Lewis', he has been been paid tribute to many Republicans in true friendship. I fear that is something we are losing in Congress, and just as importantly, the country.

Sporks to E D for getting my memory correct.
    You’re not the only one. Marco Rubio’s tweet to honor John Lewis:

2E728783-460E-4C20-B676-02BC5E058DA2.jpg

Wonderful words. But the photo is Rubio with Elijah Cummings.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Don’t you mean Ted Cruz?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Yeah, when it comes to lousy politicians, we Floridians get to say "hold my beer". Almost can't wait to hear how he squirms out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Yeah, when it comes to lousy politicians, we Floridians get to say "hold my beer". Almost can't wait to hear how he squirms out of this.
    To be fair, his twitter feed is probably run by staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Don’t you mean Ted Cruz?
    That made me chuckle, must spread sporkz . . . .

To be fair, his twitter feed is probably run by staff.

That made me chuckle, must spread sporkz . . . .
    Then somebody needs to get fired. And won't.

If I recall, they interviewed Cummings for Good Trouble before he died and he said that he is often mistaken for Lewis.

Thankfully, JL appears to have had a sense of humor about this.

And in an April Fool's Day press release last year, Lewis said he would grow a beard "in an attempt to avoid being repeatedly mistaken for Rep. Elijah Cummings."

"I guess being mistaken does have its advantages, though," Lewis joked. "Elijah’s younger than me, so I guess being mistaken for him is kind of a compliment. Maybe one day when I have a schedule conflict, I’ll see if he wouldn’t mind sitting in a hearing for me. You think anybody would notice?"
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/sen-marco...201755635.html