Page 500 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 4004504904984995005015025105506001000 ... LastLast
Results 9,981 to 10,000 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Of Biden voters, 57% voting AGAINST Trump.
    IMO, this group will also be a large number of single issue voters.

Poll geek Nirvana:

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/lraqqdhd...nTabReport.pdf

On the issue of enthusiasm for/against a candidate:

Biden -- 21% enthusiastic for him, 34% upset with him.

Trump -- 28% enthusiastic for him, 47% upset with him.

Of Biden voters, 42% voting FOR Biden, 57% AGAINST Trump.

Of Trump voters, 74% voting FOR Trump, 19% AGAINST Biden.

Lots of good stuff in there, pretty thorough. Poll is B-rated by Nate.
    I would guess that the 57% voting against Trump is similar to how Trump benefited from anti HRC sentiments in 2016...bottom line, is doesn't matter what your motivation is, it's who you vote for.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This thread has now hit Page 500.

That is slightly ahead of the 2016 race, where we hit that marker in early August.
    I'm wondering which thread will have more posts on election day, this one or the coronavirus thread. That one is just over a 100 pages behind, but also many months younger than this one.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Poll geek Nirvana:

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/lraqqdhd...nTabReport.pdf

On the issue of enthusiasm for/against a candidate:

Biden -- 21% enthusiastic for him, 34% upset with him.

Trump -- 28% enthusiastic for him, 47% upset with him.

Of Biden voters, 42% voting FOR Biden, 57% AGAINST Trump.

Of Trump voters, 74% voting FOR Trump, 19% AGAINST Biden.

Lots of good stuff in there, pretty thorough. Poll is B-rated by Nate.
    You mean an election featuring an incumbent is all about the incumbent? Shocked... shocked, I say.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I wonder how they phrased that questioning.
    "Are you voting for Joe Biden?"
    "Yes"
    "Well are you voting FOOOORRRRR Biden, or against Trump?"
    "Um, both?"
    "You can't do that. Pick one."
    "Uhhh, then against Trump, maybe?"
    "Ok, so you think Biden sucks but Trump sucks more."
    "Wait...nooo, can we start over?"
    "Sure...so you are voting against Biden now?"
    "Click"
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

^ yeah, there's a lot of nuance to this. I could, for example, be both very pro Biden, yet motivated even more by Trump to vote for Biden.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I wonder how they phrased that questioning.
    "Are you voting for Joe Biden?"
    "Yes"
    "Well are you voting FOOOORRRRR Biden, or against Trump?"
    "Um, both?"
    "You can't do that. Pick one."
    "Uhhh, then against Trump, maybe?"
    "Ok, so you think Biden sucks but Trump sucks more."
    "Wait...nooo, can we start over?"
    "Sure...so you are voting against Biden now?"
    "Click"
    Why I love caller ID!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ yeah, there's a lot of nuance to this. I could, for example, be both very pro Biden, yet motivated even more by Trump to vote for Biden.
    Yup, and there is also an unconscious bias that happens when being asked a poll question that can skew the answers. A fair percentage of Biden supporters who pay attention to the news and polling may have seen the stories about a supposed "enthusiasm gap" regarding how excited voters are to vote for their preferred candidate. So, when they answer about their enthusiasm for Biden they play it up because they want to make his numbers seem stronger. It happens, not in huge numbers, but it does happen.

The thing the enthusiasm gap misses is the degree to which Trump has inflamed passions on the other side. If you ask a liberal Democrat how excited they are about Biden, they might say he is a "meh" candidate who is older than they would like and that he has a history of jogging to the middle that is somewhat troubling. But, if you then ask that voter on a scale from 1-10 how likely they are to vote, the Trump-hating liberal will say "11... no, make it 13. How much higher than 10 can I go?"

Enthusiasm usually means how excited you are to vote for your guy... this year is also means how excited you are to vote the other guy out of office.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Any hope for debates?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Any hope for debates?
    I have no doubt the debates will happen, the question is what the forum will be. Not a snowball's chance they will be per the usual public setting, but will they involve both candidates on stage at the same time with moderators, or will they be virtual?
    And if they are virtual, can you imagine the arm waving on both sides behind the cameras from each candidate's team?

"Noooo!!! Don't go there!!!!...crap, he went there. Are the flash cards too small, Bob? Those things are like 3 feet wide, how did he not read that talking point?! Next debate, let's just make one that says 'Shut up now' ".

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Any hope for debates?
    Debates in a TV studio like Nixon-Kennedy? Likely.

A virtual town hall? Yup.

Debates in front of a large live audience? Not with our current national (non)policy of dealing with COVID. I doubt we will have traditional conventions next month, and there is no indication that things will be better in the fall for debates. Frankly, things will likely be much worse by then if the White House really tries to force schools to “fully open” as Trump tweeted today.

Debates in a TV studio like Nixon-Kennedy? Likely.

A virtual town hall? Yup.

Debates in front of a large live audience? Not with our current national (non)policy of dealing with COVID. I doubt we will have traditional conventions next month, and there is no indication that things will be better in the fall for debates. Frankly, things will likely be much worse by then if the White House really tries to force schools to “fully open” as Trump tweeted today.
    I think debate moderation will be more important than ever, to keep topics on the rails, if that's even remotely possible. I'm not convinced we'll see said debates...

Strap in kiddies... in one hour the Supreme Court will rule on what may be the most politically charged pair of cases since Bush v Gore in 2000.

Do congress and/or the NY AG get access to Trump's tax returns?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Strap in kiddies... in one hour the Supreme Court will rule on what may be the most politically charged pair of cases since Bush v Gore in 2000.

Have there been any inclinations/predictions as to how they'll rule? I guess we'll find out soon enough. But no idea how the typical conservative/liberal ideology would vote the situations. Obviously, it's hard to divorce your opinion on it from your opinion of Trump.

If POTUS's Tweets within the last 30 minutes ("PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!" and "PROSECUTORIAL MISCONDUCT!") are any indication, he may not like the outcome.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    If POTUS's Tweets within the last 30 minutes ("PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!" and "PROSECUTORIAL MISCONDUCT!") are any indication, he may not like the outcome.
    Those appear to be reactions to him watching Fox News and Fox Business this morning and seeing stories about how his campaign was "spied upon" by the Obama Administration. I sorta doubt that the Supreme Court has leaked its ruling to the White House. That kinda thing just is not done.

Those appear to be reactions to him watching Fox News and Fox Business this morning and seeing stories about how his campaign was "spied upon" by the Obama Administration. I sorta doubt that the Supreme Court has leaked its ruling to the White House. That kinda thing just is not done.
    Right. And if he's tweeting in that fashion about that subject, imagine if the SCOTUS rulings go against him. "Buckle up" is right.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Does "moderate" Joe Biden need to do more to shore up his left flank? The NYTimes' polling expert Nate Cohen looked at how Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren supporters plan to vote in the upcoming election:

Sanders supporters: Biden 87, Trump 4, not sure 9
    Warren supporters: Biden 96, Trump 0, not sure 4

I suppose there may be a little bit of work to be done with some of the Bernie Bros, but it would largely appear that Biden has the left fully on board. I see results like this making it even harder for him to pick a progressive, like Warren, for his VP. I'm starting to feel Tammy Duckworth as more and more of an option for VP.

I am fairly confident that POTUS does not have any advance notice of the decisions.

I have not read the briefs or listened to the argument, so this is a personal guess and not a learned one:

* NY AG gets what he wants, in full or in very large part.

* Congress is murkier. I would not be surprised to see a lack of resolution -- either (1) send the case back to the trial court for further hearing; (2) something like the DACA decision where the court says that there is a lack of showing of some predicate requirement, and therefore sends Congress back to try again if it wants; or (3) a mixed bag of getting some and not getting some. But this is a much harder case IMO than the criminal investigation issue.

But you can go broke trying to guess what a court will do, even in a case you've argued. I wouldn't make book on any particular outcome.

SCOTUS issued the "McGirt" decision first. It is a case involving Indian tribal lands. The two Trump tax cases won't be released until 10:10 and 10:20am, I believe.