Page 117 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 2439
    With Caleb Love shooting up that high he really needs to look at the G-League offer. I really think it would make sense for him
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    With Caleb Love shooting up that high he really needs to look at the G-League offer. I really think it would make sense for him
    Aww man, I would fall over laughing if that happened. Of course, I’d be equally happy with him following a Nassir Little/Cole Anthony/Harrison Barnes/James Michael McAdoo type of trajectory, as is the case for any top-5 recruit who picks UNC.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    I am confused as to how prospects can be evaluated during a time where is no organized basketball being played.
    I'm just imagining the rankers poring over video of the players shooting in empty gyms or at home.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Oh, it's out there. Sadly, and despite many prognosticators who predict college hoops would die a grim death now that three players have eschewed their eligibility to go to the select team, most of the players have flatly rejected the G League route and its financial enticement.

Caleb Love did in fact choose not to attend college - he’s going to UNC.

If you scored like crss-country - (Man am I desperate for duke sports)

You add up the ranking numbers and the team with the lowest number wins. This is just comparing Duke vs unc.

Duke - 33 (if you count the top 6 or 24 if you count the top 5)
    unc - 45 (or 33)

Duke wins!!!!!

1. Caleb Love, UNC
    2. Jalen Johnson, Duke
    3. Mark Williams, Duke

4. Day'Ron Sharpe, UNC
    5. DJ Steward, Duke
    6. Jeremy Roach, Duke

7. Walker Kessler, UNC
    8. Henry Coleman, Duke
    9. Jaemyn Brakefield, Duke

10. RJ Davis, UNC
    11. Puff Johnson, UNC
    12. Kerwin Walton, UNC

(I think I need to go watch my DVR of the Duke / unc game at Cameron)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    You add up the ranking numbers and the team with the lowest number wins. This is just comparing Duke vs unc.

Duke - 33 (if you count the top 6 or 24 if you count the top 5)
    unc - 45 (or 33)

Duke wins!!!!!

1. Caleb Love, UNC
    2. Jalen Johnson, Duke
    3. Mark Williams, Duke

4. Day'Ron Sharpe, UNC
    5. DJ Steward, Duke
    6. Jeremy Roach, Duke

7. Walker Kessler, UNC
    8. Henry Coleman, Duke
    9. Jaemyn Brakefield, Duke

10. RJ Davis, UNC
    11. Puff Johnson, UNC
    12. Kerwin Walton, UNC

(I think I need to go watch my DVR of the Duke / unc game at Cameron)
    I did not remember until just now that I still have that game on the DVR!
    Carolina delenda est

Rivals releases final Class of 2020 rankings

Rivals updated their Class of 2020 ratings and released their final rankings for the graduating seniors. The team at Rivals provided a little write-up of the 5-star recruits, which includes 4 incoming Blue Devils.

8. Jalen Johnson
    Bossi’s take: Jalen Johnson is going to be an interesting player on the college level and beyond. He has the size and strength to play as a power forward but handles and passes the ball like a perimeter player.
    23. Jeremy Roach
    Bossi’s take: Jeremy Roach was very impressive as a senior after battling injury as a junior. He’s a quarterback on the floor, quick with the ball and can also lock up defensively.
    27. DJ Steward
    Bossi’s take: He’s slightly undersized as a two-guard but D.J. Steward is a light’s out jump shooter with deep range. Steward also has tremendous burst off the dribble and is a creative finisher in traffic.
    29. Mark Williams
    Bossi’s take: Mark Williams is just starting to play with confidence on the offensive end and shows promise as a low post scorer who can also make some pick-and-pop jumpers. He blocks shots and is solid on the glass. He just needs more strength.

Who's Number 1?

Loved the freshman video compilation, even though it was mainly against over-matched competition. Four of the six wear #1, Who will rate that at Duke? I must say that I appreciate players who wouldn't consider wearing that number. Observations: Henry Coleman is a MAN! Brakefield has an attitude. Roach can get to the hole. Steward never met a shot he didn't like. Johnson never was challenged. And Williams is more athletic and coordinated than the usual big, big man. Just Saying.

Good little snippet from Roach about his role and the rest of the class.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...act-147835205/

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Good little snippet from Roach about his role and the rest of the class.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...act-147835205/
    Good stuff and loved the video highlights on each of the incoming freshmen. Roach looks really quick and creative in the lane, a pass-first guy but still can create his own offense.

This class demonstrates that K is again adjusting his recruiting approach. He is still locked in on top talent but instead of multiple fire things OAD type guys, he is bringing in players that have the "ability" to be OAD players. Johnson is for sure a OAD and all of Roach, Steward, Williams could be. Look at the other two guys in the class, Brakefield and Coleman. Brakefield is a talent that blossomed early in his HS years and has since dropped some in the rankings but according to those recruiting gurus, he has 1st round, NBA potential. Coleman is that Lance Thomas and Amile Jefferson of this class.

All of the 2020 class has NBA 1st round draft potential which equates to talent and that is back to how Duke used to recruit prior to the recent trend of bringing in multiple for sure one and dones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    This class demonstrates that K is again adjusting his recruiting approach. He is still locked in on top talent but instead of multiple fire things OAD type guys, he is bringing in players that have the "ability" to be OAD players. Johnson is for sure a OAD and all of Roach, Steward, Williams could be. Look at the other two guys in the class, Brakefield and Coleman. Brakefield is a talent that blossomed early in his HS years and has since dropped some in the rankings but according to those recruiting gurus, he has 1st round, NBA potential. Coleman is that Lance Thomas and Amile Jefferson of this class.

All of the 2020 class has NBA 1st round draft potential which equates to talent and that is back to how Duke used to recruit prior to the recent trend of bringing in multiple for sure one and dones.
    Count me in the "Every year, K goes after the best players that fit his style" camp. "His style" reflecting both character and a reasonable balance of skills (regardless of position ).

Sometimes he loads up on top 5 talent. Sometimes not.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Count me in the "Every year, K goes after the best players that fit his style" camp. "His style" reflecting both character and a reasonable balance of skills (regardless of position ).

Yup, one merely needs to look at the kids we are targeting in the 2021 class to see that K is not shying away from getting multiple OADs. At least 3 of the guys we are hard after in the class are virtually certain to be AOD and there are 2 or 3 others who very well could be.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    "K is again adjusting his recruiting approach." Some of this is simple math. (a) The typical recruitment period for a top prospect is a year to 18 months before school starts in August. (b) If a player from the existing team decides unexpectedly to leave in April, it is only four months until school starts and, therefore, not time to react. The math book answer is to have more players on the roster to cushion against unexpected losses, if there are positions available. And, at Duke there were.

The secondary issue is what I would call "fratricide" -- signing one really highly ranked player may cause others to look elsewhere. Then, to get the necessary numbers, it is reasonable to look at less highly ranked players. These may be four-year players -- who COULD develop over time and WOULD provide helpful experience in Duke hoops and culture. But this is een more reason to have a larger roster -- there are players in develop.

I thought it was evident after 2015 that K decided he needed more scholarship players and player swho were not at the top of the recruiting lists; hence we got Jack White and Goldwire and O'Connell who might not have been recruited in prior years.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

OK State just got a 1 year post season ban, wonder if it'll have any impact on their incoming class.

OK State just got a 1 year post season ban, wonder if it'll have any impact on their incoming class.
    Cade Cunningham, de-commit and come to Duke

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Cade Cunningham, de-commit and come to Duke
    Isn't it standard to appeal and then push the actual penalty to the following season?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Isn't it standard to appeal and then push the actual penalty to the following season?
    Or sometimes not at all.

Coleman is that Lance Thomas and Amile Jefferson of this class.
    I haven't seen Henry Coleman play, but I would like to point out that Lance Thomas was RSCI #20 and Amile Jefferson was RSCI #21, while Henry Coleman is RSCI #49. So, I suppose anything can happen, and recruiting ranking isn't everything and all that, but he's more likely to be the Eric Boateng (#39)/Alex Murphy (#49) of this class than the Lance Thomas/Amile Jefferson.