Page 292 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 192242282290291292293294302342392792 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,840 of 22200
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Also, starting today, citizens of Virginia must wear masks inside buildings, stores, and restaurants.
    I went to the post office this morning and observed multiple people inside not wearing mask.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I went to the post office this morning and observed multiple people inside not wearing mask.
    Yeah I have wondered how the mask wearing mandate will be enforced and policed. I think that the Governor said it would be up to the business or establishment to enforce the order. I have heard and read several citizens simply say they will not be wearing a mask. I will be doing as we have been instructed but I know many others will not follow the guidance. I am still going to pretty much stay at home for the most part for the next few weeks as I have been doing except for medical/dental appointments, grocery shopping, and if things get better, maybe a restaurant or two here and there. I realize more testing equals more positive cases of COVID-19 being detected, but seeing the cases jumping by 1,000+ nearly daily in Virginia still doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies.

I went to a bike shop/post office this morning and everybody there was wearing a mask except the proprietor. I then went to Wegman's to pick up a few things. Every single person in the store was wearing a mask. I did see maybe two who weren't wearing it properly, and one guy who put one on to get into the store and then essentially took it off, but there were a lot of people there and almost all the others were not only wearing one, they were wearing them correctly. I was impressed. There was also a sign outside the store that said masks were required to come in.

They took the governor's mandate completely seriously and are doing their best to make sure it is followed.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

They took the governor's mandate completely seriously and are doing their best to make sure it is followed.
    That is good to hear. Hopefully the majority of folks will cooperate. I will make my weekly trip to Lowe’s tomorrow morning so that will provide me another data point; however, not a lot of customers at 0600.
    Bob Green

One thing I never realized was how hard it is to wear a mask in the heat. Yesterday I was out and about and it was 109 here in Vegas. At a few points, I had to leave somewhat crowded areas just to get to a place of isolation so I could take off my mask and breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I want to point out why certain forces with a -- how do I put this? -- "narrative agenda" are making it difficult for people to do the right thing during this crisis.

Here is the headline from a prominent article on Fox News' website this morning: WHO guidance: Healthy people should wear masks only when 'taking care of' coronavirus patients

I know many people don't bother to read more than the headline of an article, but if they read the first graph it states in unequivocal terms that you do not need to wear a mask unless you are actively taking care of someone who is exhibiting symptoms.

I mean, there you have it. The world's leading body saying don't wear a mask to prevent the spread; don't wear a mask to go shopping; you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a COVID-sick loved one. If you were even thinking about not wearing a mask, this would be all the proof you would need to scoff at the health experts in the US who say otherwise.

As I said, most people only read the headline. A few more read the first graph. It is a much smaller percentage who read even further into the body of the story to discover that the advice being cited by Fox from the WHO comes from a video posted on the WHO website IN FEBRUARY (the Fox article says it was posted in March, but I found the original video and it is marked as posted on 2/29).

Our understanding of the virus, how it is spread, and how it can be contained has advanced light years since late February. But, here is Fox touting it as if it is some new revelation and using it to encourage folks to not wear masks. As most of you know, I am a journalist and this article is journalistic malpractice.

And, as you can probably imagine, many other outlets see it on Fox and just parrot what it has to say, often with disastrous results. The NY Post has copied the Fox story onto their website without changing a word, further spreading this misleading story. Here is a conservative talk radio website that reports the story and omits the fact that the video is months old. It even says the video was posted on the WHO site today. I am sure there are plenty of talk radio talking heads who are speaking about this on their programs and I have no doubt the story (headline only because who clicks and reads the whole thing?!?!) is making its way around Twitter and Facebook today.

I don't know how we, as a society, fight this kind of misinformation. There are millions of Americans who will see this headline today and see it as some new guidance they should follow. Wearing a mask is uncomfortable. Here is a story that allows you to take the easy way and leave your mask behind as you embark out into the world. Woo hoo! Let's go party!!

I discovered all this when a DBR COVID-skeptic emailed the article to me this morning, gleefully encouraging me to post it here to counter some folks who refer to mask skeptics as "covidiots." So, I took a look at discovered how terribly misleading the story was. I have followed his advice though and posted the article... but with the necessary context for all of you to understand why it actually is an important story... though not the story he expected it to be.

Sigh... I want to be clear that I take no joy in this. I just want everyone to be safe and for us to beat the !@#^@&^! out of this virus. Sadly, I think misleading stories like this one make that less and less likely.
    Thank you for sharing this - it is both frightening to hear and makes me glad that there are still a few intelligent people out there who believe in facts and science. I am all for questioning (Duke taught me a lot about that), but there is a large portion of our country that is trying so hard to question everything now that they have lost faith in the institutions upon which this nation was built. I keep returning to the phrase "we hold these truths to be self-evident." Unfortunately, there is no longer a shared sense of truths in this country. I think both sides are guilty of this, but one side is trying a lot harder to break down the pillars that made America what it is. I get that that America didn't work for all people, but that is not a reason to throw logic, the truth and standards of appropriate behavior out the window.

There is a reason that the "mainstream media" became the mainstream media. They have standards of reporting and fact checking that seem to be ignored elsewhere. Yes, they make plenty of mistakes, and yes, when their reporters go vote, most vote Democrat, but most of them live by one of my favorite phrases - eschew obfuscation. The article you provided is the perfect example of the opposite of that.

Out of curiosity, what was the response of the person who sent you this article?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Yeah I have wondered how the mask wearing mandate will be enforced and policed. I think that the Governor said it would be up to the business or establishment to enforce the order. I have heard and read several citizens simply say they will not be wearing a mask. I will be doing as we have been instructed but I know many others will not follow the guidance. I am still going to pretty much stay at home for the most part for the next few weeks as I have been doing except for medical/dental appointments, grocery shopping, and if things get better, maybe a restaurant or two here and there. I realize more testing equals more positive cases of COVID-19 being detected, but seeing the cases jumping by 1,000+ nearly daily in Virginia still doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies.
    What is the rule there on wearing masks in government facilities? I think I saw someone say they saw people not wearing them in the post office? Leaving it up to businesses to police themselves works well for businesses - I can choose not to shop at a business where others are not wearing them. But the policies for government offices are where you can see the full intent of the mandate. And I think it could get really interesting this fall, because if schools are to open, there will likely have to be some regulations around students and teachers wearing masks. Will principals send kids home who aren't wearing masks? What if a teacher refuses to do so? Time to lawyer up?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    There's a lot of good info and opinion there...though the color coded map of the states can be misleading, vis a vis increasing, steady, or decreasing number of cases...I like looking at the CNN data of the last 14 days by state, five day rolling average...gives a much better picture of the number of cases, e.g. 500/day in some states, five in others...does not look like they expect a quick recovery (financially) which I think is a good prediction...
    Fair enough, but I hadn't seen a depiction of it where the numbers are grouped by state's responses (re-opened, partial re-open, shutdown). I suppose someone could do that manually. In all of this, though, the numbers are HUGELY skewed by NY. That's why the "region re-open" group has seen a steady decline because NYS is partially re-opened (outside of NYC) and has seen a precipitous decline.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    THANK YOU for posting this. As science gets a handle on this, many things are making sense. I think much of the mistrust of "science" was caused or intensified from early reactions that were just guesses, but few if any bothered to appreciate the disclaimers. Those who initially advised "against" wearing masks (I think was a huge mistake) were focused on whether masks would protect the wearer. The rush to incubate patients led to fatal consequences. Initial CDC tests were flawed (to be generous).

So golf is the perfect sport in theses times - except when I am flailing in a sand trap, hacking through dense rough, or ramming that 4th putt back up onto the top tier of the elevated green. But then, everyone knows to provide me substantial extra social distance in those circumstances.
    That sounds like my golf. But it's always the windmill that gets me.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Do you have any custom Duke masks? Like maybe one with a blue devil stabbing a ram with his pitchfork? Or Coach K’s face with the letters GOAT? If so, might have to order a couple.
    I’m working on a fan mask for the board, should have it soon. I have to be careful of copyright issues.
    You can send me any art you want and I’ll make them for you.

Do you have any custom Duke masks? Like maybe one with a blue devil stabbing a ram with his pitchfork? Or Coach K’s face with the letters GOAT? If so, might have to order a couple.
    https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-going-to-love

Kenny Dennard does.

Words fail me:

https://twnews.us/us-news/texas-bar-...-wearing-masks

"I wasn't allowed to wear a mask when entering - decided it was best to just leave instead after a few minutes of people being rude. Unfortunately, since as a healthy person who's not at risk, I wanted to support a local bar while still being safe and social distancing," wrote one reviewer on the tavern's Facebook page. "I'd rather spend money at a place that respects people's autonomy, life, and health concerns (and doesn't say their health is just "feelings")."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    There is a reason that the "mainstream media" became the mainstream media. They have standards of reporting and fact checking that seem to be ignored elsewhere. Yes, they make plenty of mistakes, and yes, when their reporters go vote, most vote Democrat, but most of them live by one of my favorite phrases - eschew obfuscation. The article you provided is the perfect example of the opposite of that.
    Exactly! I think everyone here knows where I fall on the political spectrum and that I am not exactly an outlier when it comes to the politics of my fellow journalists at CNN, but when Obama or Clinton made a mistake, we held their feet to the fire and questioned what they were doing to make it right.

Out of curiosity, what was the response of the person who sent you this article?
    He is certainly a reasonable person. His response:

"Nice work. I agree, that was totally irresponsible of them. I stand down."

He then added that he is extremely frustrated that the WHO "had no idea what they were talking about" and that he is not sure who he can trust as a result. I don't blame him for thinking that way. The lack of coordination and shifting guidance from the medical experts has been a pretty big problem in all this... though they have been learning about this virus on the fly as much as the rest of us have.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

What is the rule there on wearing masks in government facilities?
    Local government? State government? Federal government? Rules vary across the three though I do not know to what degree. Being retired U.S. Navy, a significant part of my shopping takes place on base. DOD made wearing a mask mandatory back in April. I went to the NEX and commissary this morning and there was 100% compliance.
    Bob Green

Exactly! I think everyone here knows where I fall on the political spectrum and that I am not exactly an outlier when it comes to the politics of my fellow journalists at CNN, but when Obama or Clinton made a mistake, we held their feet to the fire and questioned what they were doing to make it right.

He is certainly a reasonable person. His response:

"Nice work. I agree, that was totally irresponsible of them. I stand down."

He then added that he is extremely frustrated that the WHO "had no idea what they were talking about" and that he is not sure who he can trust as a result. I don't blame him for thinking that way. The lack of coordination and shifting guidance from the medical experts has been a pretty big problem in all this... though they have been learning about this virus on the fly as much as the rest of us have.
    Obviously he needs to trust the DBR!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    That sounds like my golf. But it's always the windmill that gets me.

-jk
    Damn windmills! My biggest problem is the clown that’s always looking at me. He really makes me nervous.

Local government? State government? Federal government? Rules vary across the three though I do not know to what degree. Being retired U.S. Navy, a significant part of my shopping takes place on base. DOD made wearing a mask mandatory back in April. I went to the NEX and commissary this morning and there was 100% compliance.
    Among the people advocating the wearing of masks are Sean Hannity and Mitch McConnell -- why is this an issue?

Hannity per Forbes:
    Breaking with President Trump on the issue of face masks, Fox News commentator Sean Hannity had some stern words for Memorial Day partygoers during his Tuesday evening broadcast. The TV personality’s comments came in response to a viral video of a holiday weekend celebration at Missouri’s Lake of the Ozarks, where individuals were seen without face masks and ignoring social distancing guidelines.

"Look, I understand these are young people. Experts keep saying over and over they are at [a] much lower risk. But, if they do get this — and again, there's no mask-wearing here that I see, not much at all; I see no social distancing — but if they get the virus and then are in contact with older and more vulnerable Americans that could be a disaster for others," Hannity said.
    McConnell per Politico:
    Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Wednesday made an extensive pitch for Americans to don face masks as a means to begin returning the country to normalcy while the coronavirus remains a threat.

“There’s no stigma attached to wearing a mask. There’s no stigma attached to staying six feet apart,” the Kentucky Republican said at an event back in his home state, referencing social distancing guidelines recommended to stem the transmission of the coronavirus.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    As a matter of fact, I do. They were made for me by one of my Duke roommates. We agreed that I would make a donation to the local food bank as payment. They are not for sale though.

What is the rule there on wearing masks in government facilities? I think I saw someone say they saw people not wearing them in the post office? Leaving it up to businesses to police themselves works well for businesses - I can choose not to shop at a business where others are not wearing them. But the policies for government offices are where you can see the full intent of the mandate. And I think it could get really interesting this fall, because if schools are to open, there will likely have to be some regulations around students and teachers wearing masks. Will principals send kids home who aren't wearing masks? What if a teacher refuses to do so? Time to lawyer up?
    The executive order requires face coverings inside all brick and mortar retail establishments, personal care and grooming businesses, and “places where people congregate,” according to the administration. Masks will also be required on public transportation, in government buildings and inside restaurants — except for when patrons are eating and drinking.

Schools this fall is a hot topic here right now like it is in many parts of the country likely. I don’t know how masks being worn by the students would be enforced. Some have said the new “put your phone away” saying from teachers to students will be “put your mask on.” Maybe the teachers will be instructed to enforce the mask wearing mandate. I am not entirely sure. I hope schools can go back in September but am a bit skeptical they will be 100% back to in person instruction. It is still over 3 months away but I am not convinced things will be ready to be back to normal by then given how much uncertainty still surrounds this virus. It will be very difficult to keep elementary and middle school aged students socially distanced at a minimum, not to mention how difficult it may be to keep them masked up during the day while at school.

I want to point out why certain forces with a -- how do I put this? -- "narrative agenda" are making it difficult for people to do the right thing during this crisis.

Here is the headline from a prominent article on Fox News' website this morning: WHO guidance: Healthy people should wear masks only when 'taking care of' coronavirus patients

I know many people don't bother to read more than the headline of an article, but if they read the first graph it states in unequivocal terms that you do not need to wear a mask unless you are actively taking care of someone who is exhibiting symptoms.

I mean, there you have it. The world's leading body saying don't wear a mask to prevent the spread; don't wear a mask to go shopping; you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a COVID-sick loved one. If you were even thinking about not wearing a mask, this would be all the proof you would need to scoff at the health experts in the US who say otherwise.

As I said, most people only read the headline. A few more read the first graph. It is a much smaller percentage who read even further into the body of the story to discover that the advice being cited by Fox from the WHO comes from a video posted on the WHO website IN FEBRUARY (the Fox article says it was posted in March, but I found the original video and it is marked as posted on 2/29).

Our understanding of the virus, how it is spread, and how it can be contained has advanced light years since late February. But, here is Fox touting it as if it is some new revelation and using it to encourage folks to not wear masks. As most of you know, I am a journalist and this article is journalistic malpractice.

And, as you can probably imagine, many other outlets see it on Fox and just parrot what it has to say, often with disastrous results. The NY Post has copied the Fox story onto their website without changing a word, further spreading this misleading story. Here is a conservative talk radio website that reports the story and omits the fact that the video is months old. It even says the video was posted on the WHO site today. I am sure there are plenty of talk radio talking heads who are speaking about this on their programs and I have no doubt the story (headline only because who clicks and reads the whole thing?!?!) is making its way around Twitter and Facebook today.

I don't know how we, as a society, fight this kind of misinformation. There are millions of Americans who will see this headline today and see it as some new guidance they should follow. Wearing a mask is uncomfortable. Here is a story that allows you to take the easy way and leave your mask behind as you embark out into the world. Woo hoo! Let's go party!!

I discovered all this when a DBR COVID-skeptic emailed the article to me this morning, gleefully encouraging me to post it here to counter some folks who refer to mask skeptics as "covidiots." So, I took a look at discovered how terribly misleading the story was. I have followed his advice though and posted the article... but with the necessary context for all of you to understand why it actually is an important story... though not the story he expected it to be.

Sigh... I want to be clear that I take no joy in this. I just want everyone to be safe and for us to beat the !@#^@&^! out of this virus. Sadly, I think misleading stories like this one make that less and less likely.
    Jason,

Can you find where WHO has changed their opinion? I mean, I'm all in on masks and think the arguments against use are asinine, but:

1. CNN reported that WHO stood by their guidance as of the end of March.

2. The WHO facebook page appears devoid of recommendations for mask use other than by nursing mothers. They do recommend that folks refrain from alcohol and salt. The salt was a new one on me.

3. The WHO web page on mask use contains the same information Fox News is reporting.

Given Fox's bent, it's not surprising that they'd ferret out information anti-mask. It is surprising the WHO hasn't been more directly pro-mask given what we've learned. Or, maybe I'm just not looking online in the right places.