Page 74 of 76 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 1506
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    That's really sad. Apparently chose Duke over Gardner Webb and Eastern Kentucky.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

And just shortly after the announcement confirming the commitment of 2021 recruit Lauren Walker. Azana projected as a starter next year, with Kyra's transfer (and maybe even without it), and outside of Boykin, she was really our only dynamic creator. This is very harsh.

I wonder how Duke handles the coaching situation. I would hope that by the end of summer and the remaining 2020 recruiting window that Duke can see clear to announce a new coach well ahead of time. I don't expect them to eat the last year of McCallie's contract, but we need the benefit of a head coach actively recruiting at this point. The cupboard is pretty bare, and I think we'll be better off just acknowledging that next year is going to be a throw-away season.
    I feel bad for the remaining players for next season (if there is a season) if it becomes a throw-away season. I wonder if Azana is transferring because of the possible eventual coaching change, the state of the team for next year, or something else (i.e.,she might not have been happy at Duke and that's ok).

Regardless, I agree in that I hope an announcement of a new HC is made sooner rather than later (if that is the direction White is heading) in order to salvage and become competitive in the next couple of seasons. Getting a jump on recruiting and an infusion of better talent will be key.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    That's really sad. Apparently chose Duke over Gardner Webb and Eastern Kentucky.
    I understand your point, but she's a Dukie now. I'm looking forward to seeing her in action, and I hope she continues to improve and show the world that she's a top-level talent.

I understand your point, but she's a Dukie now. I'm looking forward to seeing her in action, and I hope she continues to improve and show the world that she's a top-level talent.
    Hope springs eternal. And I always support all who suit up in Duke blue.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

No, that's great!

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    After all, Jordan Goldwire was about to sign with Eastern Kentucky before his campus visit to Duke.

Let's hope history repeats itself.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post

Let's hope history repeats itself.
    Amen to that.

Lambert will be a Longhorn

Kyra will finish her career at Texas

https://twitter.com/KyraLambert_15/s...90706928971776

Here's wishing her the best

Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    Kyra will finish her career at Texas

https://twitter.com/KyraLambert_15/s...90706928971776
    Kyra is a Duke grad so she is one of us.

Texas seems to be an excellent choice for her. She grew up nearby and she will be playing for a team that needs a PG and that has a major upgrade in their new coach Vic Shaefer.

She grew up nearby and she will be playing for a team that needs a PG and that has a major upgrade in their new coach Vic Shaefer.
    Great pickup for Shaefer. A true veteran leader to set the tone at point. He won't be disappointed. Congratulations, Kyra!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    RE: Kyra Lambert

She would like to play a sixth year at a school with a legit shot of winning it all.

Which will not be 2021 Duke.

But she also would like to start at that school.

Which means she needs a team that is only a Kyra Lambert away from the Final Four.

Which is threading a pretty tight opening.
    Texas seems to be an excellent choice for her. She grew up nearby and she will be playing for a team that needs a PG and that has a major upgrade in their new coach Vic Shaefer.
    If (as Jim Sumner said) Kyra wanted a team with a legit shot at winning the natty, is Texas really that school? Are the Longhorns really a team "a Kyra Lambert away from the Final Four"? Far as I can tell from their roster, they lose four starters and their sixth woman from an unranked team, after a season disappointing enough to fire their coach.

Sounds more like someone who just was ready to go home and Texas offers an opportunity to start and play a lot of minutes close to home...should she stay healthy. I am not sure what kind of recruiting class Texas had.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    Sounds more like someone who just was ready to go home and Texas offers an opportunity to start and play a lot of minutes close to home...should she stay healthy. I am not sure what kind of recruiting class Texas had.
    This. Also, I'm not sure Kyra sees herself as a highly successful pro player. One possibility is that she figures any future she might have in basketball is in coaching. There are a lot of options there that would be worse than learning from Vic Schaefer while being close to family.

Leaonna Odom goes to the Liberty as the 3rd pick in the 2nd round of the WNBA Draft; 15th Pick overall. Pretty impressive.
    Will get to play with the Sabrina Ionescu.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Congratulations Leanna!
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Seattle Storm Takes Haley Gorecki at #31 - Round 3 - pick 7.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Odom and Gorecki

DBR is predominantly Men's BB,but I think Haley and Leanna deserve front page photos. Wonder if Rebecca Greenwell is still trying to play in the WNBA?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Leaonna Odom goes to the Liberty as the 3rd pick in the 2nd round of the WNBA Draft; 15th Pick overall. Pretty impressive.
    Will get to play with the Sabrina Ionescu.
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Seattle Storm Takes Haley Gorecki at #31 - Round 3 - pick 7.
    ESPN grades the draft here and points out that both Odom and Gorecki have an uphill climb to make their teams' rosters. After unrelated trades, Odom (at #15) is actually the lowest pick of the 6 rookies that New York added last night.

The Liberty picked up some good individual pieces, but it's a little hard to envision how they're all going to fit together. It's unlikely there will be six rookies on a 12-player team.
    Gorecki was also plagued by injuries in her career, but she had a stellar senior season at Duke. It will be tough for her to make a roster as a rookie, though.

ACC Coaching News

Shocker out of South Bend

Coach McGraw retires

https://wsbt.com/sports/content/muff...sketball-coach

And Niele Ivey returns to ND as head coach.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/ndi...a839e30f0.html
    Last edited by triaddukefan; 04-22-2020 at 02:55 PM.

count me among the shocked. maybe that breakdown at the podium midseason was indicative of unseen issues.

Shocker, indeed. I wonder what happens to that great recruiting class she had coming in. There's still time before the season starts, but it's not clear to me under COVID what restrictions might or might not apply to transfer requests or whether any releases could be granted at this point.