Page 14 of 149 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Well, given that it's sean miller and the UA Wildcats, I'll quote the opening song from the Music Man:

"Cash for the merchandise..."
    Well, either you're closing your eyes
    To a situation you do not wish to acknowledge
    Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
    By the presence of the NCAA in your community.
    Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
    I say, trouble right here in Desert City.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Imagine what those players could have done with a real big man coach!
    It is funny how perceptions last a long time but may not fit reality. (This is not a dig at MChambers just about the big man comment.)

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...ayers-position

Duke is the school that ESPN ranks as having the best interior scorers that go on to the NBA. Of course this ranking may be because Duke has recruited a lot of quality big men.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Top 10 Class of 2021 recruit Paolo Banchero is working on a virtual visit with Duke, among other schools, according to an interview with Jake Weingarten. Banchero recently made a little bit of news by receiving an offer from Arizona and adding the dessert Wildcats to the group of now 10 schools he is considering. He also indicates an interest in narrowing down his list of final schools to five in short order.
    No surprise there. After watching The Scheme on HBO and listening to Sean Miller talk about paying players on a wire, its clear Arizona will fork over cash for the big boys.

Great article today from The Athletic on AJ Griffin. There is a LOT to be excited about with him. I am lucky enough to live close by to Stepinac and have seen many of his games. Top 5 draft pick in 2022.

https://theathletic.com/1740404/2020...of-duke-stars/

Also think the Athletic has a 90 day free trial going on right now.

Another new Athletic article today - ranking the top 40 prospects in HS hoops regardless of class. Of notable to Duke:

2. Jonathan Kuminga
    5. Patrick Baldwin
    8. AJ Griffin (committed, 2021)
    9. Paolo Banchero
    11. Jalen Johnson (committed, 2020)
    28. Max Christie

https://theathletic.com/1737194/2020/04/13/

Both of those were really fun to read. I'm excited to see Griffin and hope we can snag Baldwin, Christie, and Banchero, among others. The Class of 2021 is both talented and deep. Duke has a great shot at reeling in a monster class that can both shoot the lights out and jump out of the gym.

Both of those were really fun to read. I'm excited to see Griffin and hope we can snag Baldwin, Christie, and Banchero, among others. The Class of 2021 is both talented and deep. Duke has a great shot at reeling in a monster class that can both shoot the lights out and jump out of the gym.
    Agreed. Pat Baldwin and AJ Griffin are both top 5 caliber picks in the 2022 draft. Baldwin's ability to shoot at his size is pretty awesome. Griffin is a physical specimen and has a crazy good skillset for 16 years old. Add Max Christie + what we should see return from the 2021 class and that is a very, very good squad.

... Duke has a great shot at reeling in a monster class that can both shoot the lights out and jump out of the gym.
    This cheers me up immensely. Just what I needed today!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Another new Athletic article today - ranking the top 40 prospects in HS hoops regardless of class. Of notable to Duke:

2. Jonathan Kuminga
    5. Patrick Baldwin
    9. Paolo Banchero
    28. Max Christie

Who is #1? And where is Bronny?

Thanks
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Who is #1? And where is Bronny?

Thanks
    #1 is Emoni Bates

Bronny is enjoying Taco Tuesday out in SoCal.

The only freshman I saw on the list was #40, Mikey Williams. Williams is an electric leaper a la freshman year Seventh Woods.

#1 is Emoni Bates

The only freshman I saw on the list was #40, Mikey Williams. Williams is an electric leaper a la freshman year Seventh Woods.
    FWIW, Bates just won the HS Gatorade player of the year award. He is the first sophomore to ever win the award. Allegedly, he is the best HS prospect since Lebron James. Since there could be no ceremony, he was surprised with the honor by tweets from Jason Tatum and Dwyane Wade.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...yer-year-award

2. Jonathan Kuminga
    5. Patrick Baldwin
    9. Paolo Banchero
    28. Max Christie

That assessment (11th overall, but with several of those above him being in future classes) would be far more favorable for our 2020 season than 247's composite ranking for Johnson. If Johnson is one of the top 5 players in his class (as was the case as of last summer), it means we're probably going to be really good. Especially so if we get sophomore Moore and Hurt and at least one of them makes the jump as sophomores.

Looks like Kuminga will cut the list to 5 soon. Put this in the 2021 thread but lot of speculation he will re-class to 2020.

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/s...634711045?s=20

Jake
    @jakeweingarten
    ·
    54m
    Spoke with five-star junior and arguably the top-rated player in the class Jon Kuminga earlier. He told
    @Stockrisers
    he will cut down his list to five, doesn’t have any date on when he will release.

#1 is Emoni Bates

Was the Seventh Woods comment sarcasm that went over my head? I must have missed all the electric leaping. I just remember a lot of flashy bench sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Was the Seventh Woods comment sarcasm that went over my head? I must have missed all the electric leaping. I just remember a lot of flashy bench sitting.
    Woods was a phenom, dunking viciously back in the 8th and 9th grade. The problem was that he was essentially fully grown by then and his skills didn’t keep pace as other kids kept growing. So his star had really faded by the time he graduated high school.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Woods was a phenom, dunking viciously back in the 8th and 9th grade. The problem was that he was essentially fully grown by then and his skills didn’t keep pace as other kids kept growing. So his star had really faded by the time he graduated high school.
    Still one of the best mixtapes I've ever seen. The kid peaked in freshman year of high school. Still, it was quite a summit!

Looks like Kuminga will cut the list to 5 soon. Put this in the 2021 thread but lot of speculation he will re-class to 2020.

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/s...634711045?s=20

Jake
    @jakeweingarten
    ·
    54m
    Spoke with five-star junior and arguably the top-rated player in the class Jon Kuminga earlier. He told
    @Stockrisers
    he will cut down his list to five, doesn’t have any date on when he will release.
    It would be quite a shock if Kuminga reclasses at this stage, given the unique situation with classes and standardized testing (no longer being administered in advance of the deadline for reclassing) surrounding covid--although, also given the unique landscape, I suppose anything is possible. Kuminga himself has repeatedly said publicly he will not reclass. This seems the right place to discuss Kuminga's recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    It would be quite a shock if Kuminga reclasses at this stage, given the unique situation with classes and standardized testing (no longer being administered in advance of the deadline for reclassing) surrounding covid--although, also given the unique landscape, I suppose anything is possible. Kuminga himself has repeatedly said publicly he will not reclass. This seems the right place to discuss Kuminga's recruitment.
    Agreed - Adam Zagoria mentioned this in regards to standardized testing, but said NCAA could create waiver for athletes who wanted to re-classify.

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/s...456762882?s=20

Andrew Slater then hinted at something for 4/17. Maybe we keep an eye out for something on testing (not a commitment), in 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I think the reference is to high-school freshman Woods.

Top 10 Class of 2021 recruit Paolo Banchero is working on a virtual visit with Duke, among other schools, according to an interview with Jake Weingarten. Banchero recently made a little bit of news by receiving an offer from Arizona and adding the dessert Wildcats to the group of now 10 schools he is considering. He also indicates an interest in narrowing down his list of final schools to five in short order.

Banchero made an in-person visit to Duke earlier this school year. I wonder how the seasons of Vernon Carey, Jr. and Isaiah Stewart might affect the decision of Banchero. Both had good seasons, but Washington as a team really underperformed. Carey was named a consensus All-American and Duke was a top team all year. Banchero, as some of you might know, lives in the Seattle area. For a big man, the Blue Devils have done a great job featuring a variety of players and play styles recently between traditional posts like Jahlil Okafor, Carey, and Wendell Carter, Jr. But Duke has also done a great job of featuring more versatile big men like Zion Williamson and Marvin Bagley III.

This is going to be battle for Banchero's services. Duke looks like it is in fight.
    Just to follow up, it looks like that Paolo Banchero made his virtual visit to Duke:

Jake @jakeweingarten

Kentucky and Arizona will complete virtual visits tomorrow with five-star junior and arguably one of the top-rated players in the junior class, Paolo Banchero, he told @Stockrisers.

Had one with Duke last week.

7:31 PM · Apr 14, 2020