Page 165 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215265665 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,300 of 22195
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Fishing= little exercise. Golf lot's of exercise looking for golf balls in woods, trees, etc.

GoDuke!
    Come fishing with me in the Pacific Ocean and you will see how much exercise it is.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Georgia is potentially about to really take it on the chin. 119 deaths and 1800 confirmed cases today.
    But at least our beaches are open.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Come fishing with me in the Pacific Ocean and you will see how much exercise it is.
    I’ve had the luck and pleasure of fishing off the west coast of Costa Rica (out of Golfito) twice in my life. The northern and southern pacific currents collide just off shore this time of year and the sailfishing is just spectacular. On both trips, we averaged 5-7 sailfish per day. It is amazing fun. But it is grueling. I don’t think I’ve ever been as tired as I was at the end of each 8 hour day on the water. Luckily, all we had to do when we got back to camp was eat fresh caught fish for dinner, drink a few Imperials and pass out. Heaven.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    But at least our beaches are open.
    No better place to die I guess?

In all seriousness, I hope you and Jason Evans and all the others stay safe over the next few weeks/months. Scary times and thinking good thoughts for y’all.

And of course continued best wishes to those in the NY/NJ area as they hit the apex. Yeesh. Scary times all around. Hopefully everyone on DBR stays safe.

I fish for koi when the neighbors are out of town. All I need is a car battery and jumper cables. Not a lot of hard work, really.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Georgia is potentially about to really take it on the chin. 119 deaths and 1800 confirmed cases today.
    What is frightening about Georgia is that they have done the fourth fewest tests in the nation (as measured per capita).

I fish for koi when the neighbors are out of town. All I need is a car battery and jumper cables. Not a lot of hard work, really.
    So much for sushi ...

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Surf-fishing on isolated sandbars that get inundated at high tide involves a lot of work and a careful eye on where the boat was anchored.
    True, but those areas are fish magnets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I had a nasty bout with altitude sickness many years ago in Breckinridge. (Sidebar: what an idiot I was to travel from San Francisco in the morning and go straight up the mountain to Breckinridge with no acclimation in Denver.) Anyway, by end of the second day on the mountain, I was suffering from severe headaches and couldn’t fully catch my breath. Coughing nonstop. My blood oxygen level was down around 92 if I recall correctly. Oxygen via cannula did basically nothing for me. The only thing that worked was leaving and going back down the mountain. By the time I got back down to Denver, I felt like a million bucks. I can’t say I understand the physiology of this. But it was clear that oxygenation alone was not going to do it. It was really all about barometric pressure.

Obviously this virus is not altering barometric pressure but it sure does seem to produce several of the same kind of resulting symptoms... esp. chest pressure, breathlessness, dry cough and headaches.
    Interestingly, we took some pulmonary MD prescribed (not self prescribed ) acetazolamide (https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-6...e-oral/details) a couple decades ago before our first trip to Vail/Breckenridge for some skiing and all we ended up with were some oral and digital paresthesias and stopped it after about 3 doses without any altitude sickness-like symptoms (obviously, we had adjusted by that time). Since that time, we've planned our arrival the day before skiing is to begin and walk 30-60 minutes at a moderate pace to become acclimated that afternoon/evening. Staying hydrated with water and sport drinks is also quite important and I'll limit alcohol the first day or two.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I've read enough of your posts about harvesting seafood out of your bay to know I'd eat at your table. Suppose I could be convinced to work up an appetite first.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Interestingly, we took some pulmonary MD prescribed (not self prescribed ) acetazolamide (https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-6...e-oral/details) a couple decades ago before our first trip to Vail/Breckenridge for some skiing and all we ended up with were some oral and digital paresthesias and stopped it after about 3 doses without any altitude sickness-like symptoms (obviously, we had adjusted by that time). Since that time, we've planned our arrival the day before skiing is to begin and walk 30-60 minutes at a moderate pace to become acclimated that afternoon/evening. Staying hydrated with water and sport drinks is also quite important and I'll limit alcohol the first day or two.
    Lots of water, no alcohol, and no 16-ounce t-bones either.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Lots of water, no alcohol, and no 16-ounce t-bones either.
    Two outta three ain't bad...

Two outta three ain't bad...

Ahhh, alright. I definitely laughed out loud at this but spork rules prevented me from sharing my mirth anonymously.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Ahhh, alright. I definitely laughed out loud at this but spork rules prevented me from sharing my mirth anonymously.
    It's the thought that counts but I also accept VISA, AmEx, MC and high gravity Victory ales...

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    They have closed most of the beaches to surf fishing, and all of the piers. So you can play golf, and not surf fish? Somebody explain that to me. Inland fishing is still ok.
    More governors and state legislators golf than fish?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm most concerned about a premature "all clear" signal that could erase the gains we seem to be making. Pure guess on my part, but I don't see how we can allow people to congregate at will until at least June 1. There will be efforts to end the social distancing protocol in a month or so (I suspect) and that could be problematical. Not sure who will be calling the shots then...(not entirely sure who's calling them now). Evidently the Navarro vs Fauci bout was intense.
    Absent a real decline due to seasonality, I'm not sure how we even get there by June 1. As soon as the subways and streets of NYC are full, it's back to the same place we were a few weeks ago it seems to me. (Hoping someone can tell me why that's wrong).

Fourth of July firework celebrations across the country? Big Memorial Day parties? Major League baseball games? I just don't see it -- unless there is such a strong seasonality component to the virus that we're basically all-clear until the fall.
    This. If the all clear is given prematurely, people will be out partying, shopping and what-not, with all precautions forgotten. At that point there will be a new "patient zero" in most communities. Mrs. Neals and I are staying home.

Just something to think about...we think it's bad in the US of A, with 400,000 cases and almost 13,000 dead...if the disease were at the same level as it is in Spain and Italy, we'd be at 100,000 dead. Hopefully we don't reach those levels.

Ever fish for rooster fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I had a nasty bout with altitude sickness many years ago in Breckinridge. (Sidebar: what an idiot I was to travel from San Francisco in the morning and go straight up the mountain to Breckinridge with no acclimation in Denver.) Anyway, by end of the second day on the mountain, I was suffering from severe headaches and couldn’t fully catch my breath. Coughing nonstop. My blood oxygen level was down around 92 if I recall correctly. Oxygen via cannula did basically nothing for me. The only thing that worked was leaving and going back down the mountain. By the time I got back down to Denver, I felt like a million bucks. I can’t say I understand the physiology of this. But it was clear that oxygenation alone was not going to do it. It was really all about barometric pressure.

Obviously this virus is not altering barometric pressure but it sure does seem to produce several of the same kind of resulting symptoms... esp. chest pressure, breathlessness, dry cough and headaches.
    Those damn barom's will get you every time.

No beer for DD? Blasphemy.