Page 25 of 181 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    FWIW, I did short an airline into yesterday’s strength. I don’t think there is huge downside, but the reality of more canceled flights and lower passenger loads will be even more evident soon. The companies are better run than they used to be, but the industry has a short term problem. (Strictly a trade for me.)
    And here I was thinking about buying JETS (airline ETF) given the 30% drop in 3 weeks. I definitely think they're going to get crushed on earnings, but that has been priced in now. It's currently at levels not seen in 5 years...Having said that, seems a bit risky right now, but may jump in if there's some price stabilization. I think the long-term prospects of airlines hasn't changed, certainly short-term they have.

Some days it makes sense. Some days it don't.

MMWWS.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    And here I was thinking about buying JETS (airline ETF) given the 30% drop in 3 weeks. I definitely think they're going to get crushed on earnings, but that has been priced in now. It's currently at levels not seen in 5 years...Having said that, seems a bit risky right now, but may jump in if there's some price stabilization. I think the long-term prospects of airlines hasn't changed, certainly short-term they have.
    I viewed yesterday’s action as irrational. One major airline announced curbs on flights in April and further cuts to international flights for April and May. Airline stocks went up, I believe pulled by the large index funds. I shorted simply because the news flow didn’t match the near term reality. I’m debating taking today’s profit and running even though I view more downside is in the offing.

I viewed yesterday’s action as irrational.
    IMO, it made sense that Mr. Market was pleased, and rather surprised, when Sander’s odds decreased substantially overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    IMO, it made sense that Mr. Market was pleased, and rather surprised, when Sander’s odds decreased substantially overnight.

Overall, yes. My view was solely focused on the airlines.

Overall, yes. My view was solely focused on the airlines.
    I suspect (haven’t looked) the entire hospitality industry was pulled up yesterday mostly by machines.

I agree, catching the falling industry knife is dangerous.

And down some more. It looks like we will get the infamous retesting of the lows from last week. I'll decide at that point whether to let the knife drop.

And down some more. It looks like we will get the infamous retesting of the lows from last week. I'll decide at that point whether to let the knife drop.
    What does let the knife drop mean, exactly? I did a google search and I am still not sure.

I've been impressed with how you've handled the last week or so, so I am curious... and there are so many stocks I want to buy right now. Staying patient...
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    What does let the knife drop mean, exactly? I did a google search and I am still not sure.

I've been impressed with how you've handled the last week or so, so I am curious... and there are so many stocks I want to buy right now. Staying patient...
    I think it's the old saying, "never try to catch a falling knife." When the market is shooting down, step out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    My wife and I took about 10-15% of our stock holdings off the table in January because we thought the market was too high. We just put in orders at 5%, 10%, and 15% below market in areas like cyber security, tech, and S&P/Dow index funds.

So, I guess I'm sorta rooting for the market to go down. I sorta doubt we will get all the orders filled, but the 5% feels like it will get invested.

-Jason "not making these calls on our own... we have a financial adviser that gives us good advice" Evans
    My 5% purchase orders are pretty close to getting filled at this point. Probably a couple hundred more points and they should start kicking in. I hear ya'll on the knife thing, but I'd rather catch it at a certain point than try to guess at the low and miss out altogether. These funds are for use in 10+ years from now so being exacting it not that big a deal.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think it's the old saying, "never try to catch a falling knife." When the market is shooting down, step out of the way.
    Exactly. Closed it out near the bell this morning. Timing on that trade was lucky. Surprised to see the airlines trading higher. They may be closer to a bottom than I thought. But this is a crazy market.

Exactly. Closed it out near the bell this morning. Timing on that trade was lucky. Surprised to see the airlines trading higher. They may be closer to a bottom than I thought. But this is a crazy market.
    airlines have the advantage of having an expensive asset (airplanes). So their price can only fall so far, unless of course they go under.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    airlines have the advantage of having an expensive asset (airplanes). So their price can only fall so far, unless of course they go under.
    They are a relatively high fixed cost model. Exactly what suffers most going in to a recession. That the current situation mainly deals with human interaction further exacerbates the issue for that sector. They should be down more than the market in general. I’m not sure about the above ETF, but the few I’ve been looking at are down 23-27% to the markets 13%. That they are bouncing today could be a sign that they are bottoming and that the market will bottom soon as the hotels are also down less than the market today.
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 03-06-2020 at 12:27 PM.

I’m now close to having 33% of what I sold back in market. Don’t wait for the perfect moment. You will likely miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    a lot of airlines lease a substantial number of planes, so I'm not sure how helpful that is. Basically they own or lease a lot of assets which need to be used...utilization rates have been terrific the past few years, this is definitely a sizeable hiccup.

Investment-wise, I'm finding this a terrific time to just sit back and wait for things to return to normal...might take weeks, might take months, but they eventually will.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/06/busin...ray/index.html

See that way down there? Those are oil prices. Those wacky Saudis and Russkis can't seem to come to an agreement on production cuts (always a tricky process filled with bombast, and quite often dishonesty)...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

See that way down there? Those are oil prices. Those wacky Saudis and Russkis can't seem to come to an agreement on production cuts (always a tricky process filled with bombast, and quite often dishonesty)...
    Annual demand is expected to drop for the first time since 2008, if I heard the Bloomberg radio discussion correctly.

I’m now close to having 33% of what I sold back in market. Don’t wait for the perfect moment. You will likely miss it.

I couldn't pass up buying a little Exxon Mobile, a blue chipper with a 7%+ yield.

I figure they do stuff besides sell gas because they're an "energy company".
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Another wild last few minutes of the week...nice bump up...but man, crazy wild ride two weeks in a row.

Guess Russian doesn’t think the rise in price will offset the decrease in production. It costs Russia more to produce a barrel than the Saudis so they have less spread and they need the money more so not surprised.