Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    So maybe it’s because I can’t dunk and don’t understand the nuance about what is difficult and what isn’t, but I don’t understand why Gordon’s side of backboard on-handed dunk was so transcendent?
    Don't think the judges have any specific scoring criteria but imagine they'd be guided by things like level of difficulty, power, etc. Hopefully Wade, Parker, and Pippen would know what's more difficult and what's not. For me, this dunk had a lot he had to do --- catch it, catch it one handed, 360, windmill, and do most of it blind. That's a lot of moving parts. It was also a beautiful, athletic dunk and (I think) original for dunk contests. I guess the judges meant for it to be a tie again but, you know, math is hard.

This is how CBSSports described it:

On a night full of spectacular dunks, this, to me, was the one that truly blew everyone away. There is so much to this dunk. It's not the first time we've seen someone go off the side of the backboard, but to catch it from well outside the restricted area and execute not just a 360, but a full windmill 360, is incredible. Throw in the fact that he was blind most of the time he was in the air on this dunk, meaning he had to pick up the rim, lose it, then relocate it at the last second, and that's another layer of difficulty. And finally to finish it with this kind of power after all those moving parts? Nothing topped this on Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hah. RJ with the intentional foul of Zion to prevent the runaway dunk.
    RJ holding Zion back again

ingram and tatum's first All Star game...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

With this pre-game, the players are going to have to warm up again.

worst anthem rendition ...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    RJ holding Zion back again
    Whoa. That escalated quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    ingram and tatum's first All Star game...
    Both getting some nice burn, too.

All the players play a different style of ball for the All Star game. Except Harden. His regular game is pretty much the same as his All Star game, just a bit faster.

Box scores are having trouble adapting to the new All Star game format. So am I. Will there be a MVP for each quarter mini-game?

The all star game and new format ended up being a blast. The two teams played HARD the final two quarters. There were charges taken and called, challenges, players arguing with the refs, and pretty good basketball. Most competitive All Star game in as ong as I can remember.

Congrats to our guy Adam Silver, he continues to be the best commish in US sports.

went str8 to bed when the brow sank the 2nd FT....wow....that was the greatest sport on the planet, played by the greatest athletes on the planet...

question...(rhetorical) why can't lebron have CP3?

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    went str8 to bed when the brow sank the 2nd FT...wow...that was the greatest sport on the planet, played by the greatest athletes on the planet...

question...(rhetorical) why can't lebron have CP3?
    Most underrated comment.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

12. The roster selection wasn't the greatest though in the fourth quarter.

Why was Kyle Lowry on the floor for Team Giannis? He was undersized and was facing a mismatch every time, charges notwithstanding. And let's face it, those charges were 50-50 calls.

Team LeBron also made a mistake IMO having Harden on the floor. He doesn't pass and nearly lost the game for them.
    Last edited by ice-9; 02-18-2020 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    The roster selection wasn't the greatest though in the fourth quarter.

Why was Kyle Lowry on the floor for Team Giannis? He was undersized and was facing a mismatch every time, charges notwithstanding. And let's face it, those charges were 50-50 calls.

Team LeBron also made a mistake IMO having Harden on the floor. He doesn't pass and nearly lost the game for them.
    Strangely though Lowry was the only guard who was ready and didn't freak out "in the moment". I am certain that and his coach being their coach led to the trust. Kemba collapsed in the 4th and Trae wasn't gonna be given the reins.

Giannis (It appears to me anyway) had a method for his roster selection. He tried to get people who were known for their attitude or dedication towards winning.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

The roster selection wasn't the greatest though in the fourth quarter.

The media often jokes that Kyle Lowry is the antithesis of the All-Star game: a player who is all substance trying to look cool in game built for style. It just doesn't work for Lowry, even though Lowry is a stud.

The 4th quarter in this new All-Star format? That's built for pitbulls like Lowry. If the game is on the line either offensively or defensively, I want Lowry on my side. Makes sense that he would be on the floor during the only competitive part of the game.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

15. Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    The media often jokes that Kyle Lowry is the antithesis of the All-Star game: a player who is all substance trying to look cool in game built for style. It just doesn't work for Lowry, even though Lowry is a stud.

The 4th quarter in this new All-Star format? That's built for pitbulls like Lowry. If the game is on the line either offensively or defensively, I want Lowry on my side. Makes sense that he would be on the floor during the only competitive part of the game.
    They lost because he was on the floor though. If the charges were called the other way the game would've ended much earlier.

At this level and for just one quarter, it's not just about attitude, it's about talent, team fit and matchups.

They lost because he was on the floor though. If the charges were called the other way the game would've ended much earlier.

At this level and for just one quarter, it's not just about attitude, it's about talent, team fit and matchups.
    It was a 1 point game that either team could have won earlier if a few more shots fell. Doesn’t seem like we can draw a ton of conclusions...that’s why play-offs are best of 7.

They were barely in it because of him. Kemba almost took them out of it and Trae didn't have the trust... Or defense.

18. I wouldn't have had either Kemba or Trae in the closing line-up -- the match-up issues on defense would persist.

If I was Team Giannis I'd go with...

Giannis
    Embiid
    Butler
    Siakam
    Middleton

And have the ball in Butler's hands most of the time with the idea of passing to either Giannis (primarily) or Embiid (secondarily). Giannis didn't touch the ball nearly enough toward the end.

I wouldn't have had either Kemba or Trae in the closing line-up -- the match-up issues on defense would persist.

If I was Team Giannis I'd go with...

Giannis
    Embiid
    Butler
    Siakam
    Middleton

And have the ball in Butler's hands most of the time with the idea of passing to either Giannis (primarily) or Embiid (secondarily). Giannis didn't touch the ball nearly enough toward the end.
    Next year they should not know who the team captains are until game time during a reveal on live TV. Then on live TV and in front of the crowd the Two team captains Stand with all the nba all stars in front of them and just like a pickup game they have to alternate picks and select until the last man is selected. Of course have it all miked up so you get the banter and arguing and reactions when someone like CP3 is picked last. If he pouts and storms off the court because over hurt feelings even better!

Then during the game fans get to weigh in on app to vote for someone on the winning team to trade to the losing team but then the winning captain gets his pick for a replacement.

I’m telling you the ratings would be off the charts and the most watched game ever.

Dunk contest needs a real time fan mobile voting option for the 5th vote. If there’s a tie it goes to cumulative.

Dang, running the NBA would be a cakewalk...