Page 1189 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 189689108911391179118711881189119011911199123912891689 ... LastLast
Results 23,761 to 23,780 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Tripping definitely get to Foothills soon!

If nothing else for that Olde Rabbit's Foot 2017 they have on draft. That was one of the best Russian Imperial Stout's I've tasted. The combined wort from signature imperial stouts from Foothills, Olde Hickory, and Duck Rabbit is aged in 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle barrels with honey and cocoa nibs. Category 4.

I got the flight of 2017 Olde Rabbit's Foot, 2019 Sexual Chocolate, and 2020 Sexual Chocolate. (They ran out of 2018 Sexual Chocolate Saturday night. No complaints - just glad they had Rabbit's foot.) They all looked identical - black with thin tan head. Olde Rabbit's foot smells like dark chocolate and boozy bourbon.

The taste is wow. Complex - lots of dark chocolate and Lots of good bourbon that blends well. Full body. Nice little touch of honey on the finish. This is what a BBA Imperial stout should taste like. I've had some very good stuff from Goose Island, Oskar Blues, Founders, etc., but this was even a little better. Sadly it's draft only in-house, they wouldn't sell me any to carry out.

The 2019 Sexual Chocolate has been reviewed, but that one is also Category 3, bigtime. Strong and such good dark chocolate transitions to Krankie's espressso. If you don't know Krankies, they make the best coffee in Winston. You can taste some cherry, berries, and plum in the background, like Dead & Berried but more subtle. Full body and lots of malt.

This is already the best flight I've ever had.

The 2020 Sexual Chocolate - Still very good, but with the vertical this had 2 tough acts to follow. It's just not as bold and flavorful as the first 2. It was the thinnest beer in the flight.
    It has roasted chocolate nose blended nicely with lots of malt, some molasses, toffee, dark fruit. I get no bourbon. Maybe the BBA hasn't been released yet. Maybe it gets better with age. Chocolate, malty, good but average Imperial Stout. Category 2. Sorry - that was just first impression. I got Devildeac and Fuse/Love Ninja each a 4 pack of cans if you want them. I got some for me too, because I need to try this again outside the flight.

They had a Sexy special bar food menu that was outstanding. Beergoddess had a delicious burger with cheddar cheese, some onion straws, and a Sexual Chocolate BBQ sauce on a very good maybe pretzel brioche bun. Called a Shanewich after their chef. I had some outstanding smoked BBQ pulled pork tacos with sexual chocolate sauce as well.

They had a great live Jazz band that made me feel like I should be drinking Sexual Chocolate. Great night.
    Sounds like a terrific time! Weekend plans evolved for us in a way that didn't get us over to Foothills. Sorry to hear that the 2020 isn't as stellar as the others. Maybe with some age on it.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Sounds like a terrific time! Weekend plans evolved for us in a way that didn't get us over to Foothills. Sorry to hear that the 2020 isn't as stellar as the others. Maybe with some age on it.
    That's what I'd expect, but don't wait nine years as some knucklehead here did recently with a 2010 version of SC.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Fun reads:

https://gearpatrol.com/2020/01/27/br...avorite-beers/

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/12/21/best-beers-2019/

Another great find.

I've had six of them. I'm not sure I've ever seen/heard of the others.

Mountain Calling-Wise Man Brewing

Nearby

Credit-Shamelessly lifted from older daughter's fridge last week for dog-sitting fees
    Format-mutliply dented pint can
    Style-IPA
    Canned on-04/10/19 092444 (uh-oh)
    Appearance-hazy light orange/amber; moderate foamy head
    Nose-pine; resin; rind; not fresh
    Mouthfeel-bitter
    Tastes-resin, pine, rind; a bit "off"
    IBU-82
    ABV-6.6%
    Overall impression-disappointing; somewhat outdated (my fault-shoulda pilfered sooner ); not balanced; too "west coastie"
    Ymm, Beer rating-low cat 2 with the caveat, based on prior Tripping William and RJ199 reviews of Wise Man brews, I'd try again if fresh

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Mountain Calling-Wise Man Brewing

Nearby

Credit-Shamelessly lifted from older daughter's fridge last week for dog-sitting fees
    Format-mutliply dented pint can
    Style-IPA
    Canned on-04/10/19 092444 (uh-oh)
    Appearance-hazy light orange/amber; moderate foamy head
    Nose-pine; resin; rind; not fresh
    Mouthfeel-bitter
    Tastes-resin, pine, rind; a bit "off"
    IBU-82
    ABV-6.6%
    Overall impression-disappointing; somewhat outdated (my fault-shoulda pilfered sooner ); not balanced; too "west coastie"
    Ymm, Beer rating-low cat 2 with the caveat, based on prior Tripping William and RJ199 reviews of Wise Man brews, I'd try again if fresh
    Sorry to hear. Hope it was just the age on it.

Sorry to hear. Hope it was just the age on it.
    That's the most likely reason. Mrs. dd keeps referring to me that way, too.

That's the most likely reason. Mrs. dd keeps referring to me that way, too.

Its not the age, its the mileage 🤣

Yikes, I couldn’t quite make it through the whole article.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90456449...tm_content=rss

What starts out looking like altruism turns into...something else.

Wonder how quickly this beer will sell out?

Oastysaurus Schwarzbier

A collaboration between Edmund’s Oast (out of Charleston, SC) and Durham’s Ponysaurus. Purchased from our local Whole Foods. Pours a nice mahogany color. Off-white head. Nice and malty. Apparently brewed with a cranberry purée, so some underlying tartness. Tasty. And oasty. And pony. Solid Cat 2; glad I have a second 16-ounce can for another day.
    Last edited by Tripping William; 01-28-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Oastysaurus Schwarzbier

A collaboration between Edmund’s Oast (out of Charleston, SC) and Durham’s Ponysaurus. Purchased from our local Whole Foods. Pours a nice mahogany color. Off-white head. Nice and malty. Apparently brewed with a cranberry purée, so some underlying tartness. Tasty. And oasty. And pony. Solid Cat 2; glad I have a second 16-ounce fan for another day.
    Any smokiness?

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Any smokiness?
    Maybe a touch, but it didn’t jump out. More malty and chocolately than anything.

Bible Belt Even More-Prairie Artisan Ales collaboration with Evil Twin Brewing (one source says Krebs brewed it, another source quotes Westbrook )

Obviously, not local

Credit-beer #4 from son of devildeac from my mixed 6er Christmas gift; thanks!!
    Format-12 ounce bottle
    Style-flavored imperial stout
    Stemware-small snifter; had 6 ounces Sunday and finished the other 6 ounces last PM
    Apearance-deep, dark brown; small tan head
    Nose-dark chocolate and coffee
    Mouthfeel-velvety
    Tastes-dark chocolate, burnt caramel, vanilla and very slight peppery warmth/heat and less than I anticipated
    Adjuncts-cacao nibs, vanilla, coffee and chilies
    IBU-probably 60 based on the style
    ABV-6.5% each night for a total of 13%; ; dangerously drinkable
    Overall impression-"combination" of Prairie's Bible Belt and Evil Twin's Even More Jesus; this was outstanding
    Ymm, Beer rating-middle tier cat 3; worth seeking out, even for a tenderfoot/tongue beer sipper like me when it comes to the "heat"

Added a couple beers to tomorrow night's list after that brutal game.

Had the draft, opened the bottle - Veil’s Old Belgiez, a Christmas Ale. 500ml bottle, 10% abv. This is their Belgian Quad with Virginia wildflower honey added, then aged in Buffalo Trace Bourbon barrels for a year. Notes of caramel, fig or raisins, holiday spices. Nice clean ale, sweetness from the honey, warm bourbon finish. Better as it warms, like most. Middle cat 3. Another non- IPA from Veil well executed. Have a 2nd bottle to age for next Xmas.

Odd source for beer recommendations:

https://huckberry.com/journal/posts/...dium=affiliate

In that light, not surprising that the choices are unusual also.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Had the draft, opened the bottle - Veil’s Old Belgiez, a Christmas Ale. 500ml bottle, 10% abv. This is their Belgian Quad with Virginia wildflower honey added, then aged in Buffalo Trace Bourbon barrels for a year. Notes of caramel, fig or raisins, holiday spices. Nice clean ale, sweetness from the honey, warm bourbon finish. Better as it warms, like most. Middle cat 3. Another non- IPA from Veil well executed. Have a 2nd bottle to age for next Xmas.
    Was that the $25 bottled you referenced last month?

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Odd source for beer recommendations:

https://huckberry.com/journal/posts/...dium=affiliate

In that light, not surprising that the choices are unusual also.
    I started out 2/2, then went 0/4.

Was that the $25 bottled you referenced last month?
    Yes. Every 500ml bottle from Veil is $20-$25, makes Hardywood’s BBA Cru at $12 for 750ml an unbelievable beer/bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Yes. Every 500ml bottle from Veil is $20-$25, makes Hardywood’s BBA Cru at $12 for 750ml an unbelievable beer/bargain.
    Somewhat surprising on The Veil pricing as I recall a lot of their 750 ml bottles are in the $15-20 range when I've looked at their draft and to-go lists. Their magnums are really spendy. You are correct about the Hardywood pricing, especially with the two RBA Pumpkin Ales you delivered last month that are ~12.5% ABV and they were $12 each.