Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Unless a coach is arrested for kicking a puppy, GoDuke is not the fastest website for updating personnel.
    (Nobody has been arrested for puppy kicking.)
    yeah, GoDuke is SO slow...often don't have any mention of a game score the day after a game.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, GoDuke is SO slow...often don't have any mention of a game score the day after a game.
    Not sure why they even exist. They used to be okay about the coaches post game pressers getting posted...but the last year or so that's no good. AT least not with K or Cut...it's like GoDuke is trying to make some sort of statement that "all Duke sports teams are equal" or something. Maybe I'm over reading it, and it's just incompetence like the concessions.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Not sure why they even exist. They used to be okay about the coaches post game pressers getting posted...but the last year or so that's no good. AT least not with K or Cut...it's like GoDuke is trying to make some sort of statement that "all Duke sports teams are equal" or something. Maybe I'm over reading it, and it's just incompetence like the concessions.
    Moreover, the stats archive is just about unusable. Separate stat lines, e.g., for Vernon Carey and Carey, Vernon and Vernon Carey Jr.. Imbecilic!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

As a reminder, today is the last day of the AFCA conference. Hoping Cut is filling his exhibit bag with pens, note pads, mints, an innovative OC and a competent OL coach. Happy shopping coach, the progrum needs an infusion

https://twitter.com/stevewisemannc/s...419985925?s=21

A sign of the times or a sign if the troubles on the offensive side of the ball?

Looks like Jaylen Miller is putting his name in the transfer portal. Played 14 snaps as a RS freshman in 2017, and 234 snaps in 2018 (7 games, 3 starts). Suffered an injury against UVA on October 20, 2018 so missed the rest of that season (which means he played in all 7 games before his injury, and started in almost half of them). Stats for his 2019 season were not immediately available so I don't know if or how much he played this past season.

Edit: PDDuke85 scooped me, although they didn't actually indicate what is going on (FWIW, more explanation is appreciated with twitter/social media links for those like me who can't follow those links at work)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    As a reminder, today is the last day of the AFCA conference. Hoping Cut is filling his exhibit bag with pens, note pads, mints, an innovative OC and a competent OL coach. Happy shopping coach, the progrum needs an infusion
    Losing what little optimism that I had. Tick Tock
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Moreover, the stats archive is just about unusable. Separate stat lines, e.g., for Vernon Carey and Carey, Vernon and Vernon Carey Jr.. Imbecilic!
    I see SID takes its role as seriously as the rest of the department.

Fortunately we don't hvae a dunk count this year, so don't have to kvetch over how often they get that wrong...
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Losing what little optimism that I had. Tick Tock
    I would wait until next week to start getting discouraged. I don't think we were just going to announce a hire on the spot after Cut ran into someone at the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I see SID takes its role as seriously as the rest of the department.

Fortunately we don't hvae a dunk count this year, so don't have to kvetch over how often they get that wrong...
    Kedsy worries a lot for the coach who will have to succeed K. I worry a lot (OK, I really don't) for the many Duke AD employees--marketing and ticket sales in particular--who are going to find out how hard their jobs really are when K is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Looks like Jaylen Miller is putting his name in the transfer portal. Played 14 snaps as a RS freshman in 2017, and 234 snaps in 2018 (7 games, 3 starts). Suffered an injury against UVA on October 20, 2018 so missed the rest of that season (which means he played in all 7 games before his injury, and started in almost half of them). Stats for his 2019 season were not immediately available so I don't know if or how much he played this past season.

Edit: PDDuke85 scooped me, although they didn't actually indicate what is going on (FWIW, more explanation is appreciated with twitter/social media links for those like me who can't follow those links at work)
    Just a followup, looks like he played 9 games in 2019 (no starts), but not sure how many snaps he played. He did manage to rack up a tackle (presumably on a turnover). Not a starter or a devastating loss, but certainly we lost a regular contributor and solid depth.

I would wait until next week to start getting discouraged. I don't think we were just going to announce a hire on the spot after Cut ran into someone at the conference.
    Cutliffe is "planning to hire" Greg Frey to coach the OL at Duke, according to Football Scoop. Previously coached in similar roles at FSU and Indiana.

More coaching announcements to come soon, according to Adam Rowe at TDD.

Quote Originally Posted by jafarr1 View Post
    Cutliffe is "planning to hire" Greg Frey to coach the OL at Duke, according to Football Scoop. Previously coached in similar roles at FSU and Indiana.

This seems like a really good get to me. His full coaching history from what I've seen:

1999: USF - DE coach
    2000-2006: USF - OL coach
    2007: West Virginia - OL coach
    2008-2010: Michigan - OL coach
    2011-2013: Indiana - OL coach
    2014-2017: Indiana - Co-Offensive Coordinator/OL Coach
    2017-2018: Michigan - Running Game Coordinator
    2018-2019: FSU - OL coach

Strikes me as a pretty solid work history.
    Last edited by Acymetric; 01-15-2020 at 01:52 PM.

This seems like a really good get to me. His full coaching history from what I've seen:

1999: USF - DE coach
    2000-2006: USF - OL coach
    2007: West Virginia - OL coach
    2008-2010: Michigan - OL coach
    2011-2013: Indiana - OL coach
    2014-2017: Indiana - Co-Offensive Coordinator/OL Coach
    2017-2018: Michigan - Running Game Coordinator
    2018-2019: FSU - OL coach

Strikes me as a pretty solid work history.
    He took quite a demotion in 2017. Of course Indiana has been a coaching graveyard for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    He took quite a demotion in 2017. Of course Indiana has been a coaching graveyard for decades.
    I don't think "running game coordinator" isn't all that different from co-offensive coordinator. I wouldn't say it was a huge demotion (and it was certainly at a more prestigious program). The big demotion was going back to plain OL coach at FSU in 2018, if anything.

FWIW, Frey was "Tackles and Tight Ends" coach in addition to running game coordinator at Michigan.

This is the most complimentary article I've seen on Frey (https://www.michigandaily.com/sectio...-florida-state), but many FSU fans were happy to see him go after a really poor performing line during the Taggart days.

Quote Originally Posted by jafarr1 View Post

On paper, Coach Frey has a proven background in offensive line coaching

What continues to pique my curiosity is in the “More coaching announcements to come soon”

God I hope it’s the home run so many are looking for, not just rearranging the chairs on the proverbial deck.

Indiana was 8-5 this past season, 5-4 in the Big Whatever, so their grave at the moment is shallower than ours.
    As for Miller, he was a long time starter who did not get his job back after being injured. Not a trivial loss, but probably not a starter unless Holman were to get hurt.

As for the new OL, he may also be run game coordinator at Duke...keep in mind that the other side of the announcement equation is that homes need to be found for the displaced...that makes for a happier press release.

This seems like a really good get to me.
    I agree. Now we need some Offensive Coordinator news.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Indiana was 8-5 this past season, 5-4 in the Big Whatever, so their grave at the moment is shallower than ours.
    As for Miller, he was a long time starter who did not get his job back after being injured. Not a trivial loss, but probably not a starter unless Holman were to get hurt.

As for the new OL, he may also be run game coordinator at Duke...keep in mind that the other side of the announcement equation is that homes need to be found for the displaced...that makes for a happier press release.
    Just a quibble, he was not a long time starter, he started 3 games prior to his injury (during his 3rd start).

You're right that he wasn't a likely starter, but we just got thinner and less experienced at OL which is never a good thing.