Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    This is no doubt the case. That said, there certainly must be some transfer prospects who are not premium, but who can help Duke. And there must be some transfers who would like a Duke grad degree...even if they'd prefer a better FB program.
    yup, Woods is just such an example..

so are there ~2 more spots for a transfer or another commit in this class without getting into the forcing people off the team business (which to be fair to Duke doesn’t happen too much compared to other programs)

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    What better tribute to Addison Penfield? For younger folks, here is a brief bio from wiki:

Add Penfield (Addison Pierce Penfield, 1918–2010), a pioneer in North Carolina sports radio, was the original radio "Voice of the Blue Devils".

A native of Meriden, Connecticut, Penfield moved to North Carolina to become a Duke University student in 1938. At the behest of famed Duke football coach Wallace Wade, the Atlantic Radio Network gave Penfield the opportunity to broadcast games while he was still a student. It was the beginning of a career in radio that spanned eight decades.

Penfield graduated from Duke University in 1940. After a two-year duty with Army radio, he served in a number of diverse radio markets before receiving the call to return to Duke in 1952.

He was the "Voice of the Duke Blue Devils" from 1952 to 1976. Bob Harris served as his color commentator and the two broadcast both Duke football and Duke basketball men's basketball games. Facing health problems, Penfield retired in 1976 and was succeeded by Harris, who became the new "Voice of the Blue Devils".
    Yes, this name had occurred to me as well, Roy...I do remember Add being referred to by his co-host (can't recall the name right now) as "Brother Addison Penfield," I think he did a bit of ministerial stuff on the side, IIRC.
    I got to work with him on radio several times as a spotter at football games, in Duke's rickety old booth..

How blessed Duke fans have been with Add and Bob Harris as "Voice of The Blue Devils". In the Bubas era it was Add that I listened to on my little radio and later on it Bob Harris in the Coach K era. Two great radio voices. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Woods had an offer from Duke coming out of high school:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/f.../jmarick-woods

Coach Cutcliffe is open to transfers he has been previously involved with.
    Just a note that Woods redshirted during his Third year (no Bowl game for you!!). In Cut's press conference on signing day I believe he discussed aspects of the 4 game redshirt rule that he liked/dis-liked. Coach Cut said that he disliked the way some coaches were using the rule to redshirt older players and wanted to see the usage limited to first and second year players. Woods is a third year player. To Woods' credit, he is also graduating in 3 years and can transfer without sitting out a year. So Coach is taking advantage of a rule he doesn't like, and Woods gets the advantage of 2 rules that didn't really exist a few years ago. ... Nice.

I've seen a 3 year PhD. Maybe with a little hussle we might see a Scholarship Athlete PhD someday. Perhaps by eeking out a sixth year from the NCAA.. Don't settle for that Masters!

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Last edited by DevilHorse; 12-21-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Just a note that Woods redshirted during his Third year (no Bowl game for you!!). In Cut's press conference on signing day I believe he discussed aspects of the 4 game redshirt rule that he liked/dis-liked. Coach Cut said that he disliked the way some coaches were using the rule to redshirt older players and wanted to see the usage limited to first and second year players. Woods is a third year player. To Woods' credit, he is also graduating in 3 years and can transfer without sitting out a year. So Coach is taking advantage of a rule he doesn't like, and Woods gets the advantage of 2 rules that didn't really exist a few years ago. ... Nice.

I've seen a 3 year PhD. Maybe with a little hussle we might see a Scholarship Athlete PhD someday. Perhaps by eeking out a sixth year from the NCAA.. Don't settle for that Masters!

Larry
    DevilHorse
    You probably don't count our rocket-scientist center Jay Buckley, Duke '64 and physics PhD Johns Hopkins, or the late Professor Denny Ferguson, Duke '65 and PhD Cornell '71.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    How blessed Duke fans have been with Add and Bob Harris as "Voice of The Blue Devils". In the Bubas era it was Add that I listened to on my little radio and later on it Bob Harris in the Coach K era. Two great radio voices. GoDuke!
    Personally I was never a Bob Harris radio fan - but I had the pleasure of meeting the man, at an Apex football game of all places...years ago. He was absolutely one of the nicest people I have ever met. Class guy.

Add Penfield is a name I remember from the vague vague way back...do not remember his work.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Personally I was never a Bob Harris radio fan - but I had the pleasure of meeting the man...
    Bob Harris was difficult to listen to on the radio. I also meet him once and he was extremely nice.
    Bob Green

Bob Harris was difficult to listen to on the radio. I also meet him once and he was extremely nice.
    I liked Bob well enough but then I don't expect a lot out of a sports broadcaster. Tony Haynes did hoops color for Duke games for a while, I really liked him and was sorry to see him reassigned to State games by Capital Broadcasting (I assume). Made sense because he is a State grad, but then so is Bob.

Bob did a decent job on hoops, but in football he was absolutely stupefying.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    You probably don't count our rocket-scientist center Jay Buckley, Duke '64 and physics PhD Johns Hopkins, or the late Professor Denny Ferguson, Duke '65 and PhD Cornell '71.
    WHILE they were on scholarship (was my point); so I don't think so. Certainly their accomplishments should be applauded of course.

A side note: Denny Ferguson left Duke and received a second B.S. in Hotel Administration in '68 at Cornell, and then his PhD at Cornell in '71. He overlapped in the Cornell Physics department with a relatively recent Duke Physics PhD named Robert Richardson who later became the Head of the Duke Alumni Association for a number of years; and in 1996 won the Nobel Prize in Physics for his team's discovery of the Superfluid Phase of Helium-3. Bob did his Duke work in the sub-basement of the Physics Building for Dr. Horst Meyer, whose father also taught/mentored a Nobel Prize Winner...

Bob was a BIG Duke Basketball fan (as we all are of course).

May the Horse be with you.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Phd Physics '83

Stanford has had a ton of entrants in the transfer portal. Would be stupid not to look at some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    A side note: Denny Ferguson left Duke and received a second B.S. in Hotel Administration in '68 at Cornell, and then his PhD at Cornell in '71. He overlapped in the Cornell Physics department with a relatively recent Duke Physics PhD named Robert Richardson who later became the Head of the Duke Alumni Association for a number of years; and in 1996 won the Nobel Prize in Physics for his team's discovery of the Superfluid Phase of Helium-3. Bob did his Duke work in the sub-basement of the Physics Building for Dr. Horst Meyer, whose father also taught/mentored a Nobel Prize Winner...
    Thanks, DevilHorse, and I'll continue with this thread branch.

Had a connection to Denny Ferguson myself, though certainly less notable than a Nobel Prize winner.

Denny was the nephew of my dad's best friend, and growing up in Western PA, we followed Denny's career closely. He played under Chuck DeVenzio, Dick's dad, at Springdale HS, and was recruited to Duke by Bucky Waters and Vic Bubas. I became interested in Duke through that basketball connection. Regrettably, both Denny and Dick DeVenzio have been gone for a good while now.

An additional post-script -- Chuck DeVenzio was hired away from Springdale to Ambridge HS, a larger classification school west of Pittsburgh, and brought along Dick as the senior PG, with other good players, such as Dennis Wuycik already in place. That Ambridge team won the PA State Championship in 1967 and is regarded as one of the best high school teams in Pennsylvania hoops history.

As a Western Pa native. I appreciate the history of roywhite. His insight brought back fond memories of the DeVenzio's. Dick was quite the PG on that Ambridge team that arguably is still the greatest team in Pa high school basketball. He wasnt too shabby at Duke either. Left this world far to early tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    As a Western Pa native. I appreciate the history of roywhite. His insight brought back fond memories of the DeVenzio's. Dick was quite the PG on that Ambridge team that arguably is still the greatest team in Pa high school basketball. He wasnt too shabby at Duke either. Left this world far to early tho.
    Penn decommitted from BC...chances he recommits somewhere quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Penn decommitted from BC...chances he recommits somewhere quickly?
    According to his twitter account, he just committed to Duke!

Addison Penn
    @addisonpenn
    I am blessed to be in this position. 100% committed to Duke University!!���� #DukeGang20

https://twitter.com/addisonpenn/stat...21770177748993

Recruiting class is looking pretty good now with this new lineman decommitted from BC and then committed to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    According to his twitter account, he just committed to Duke!

Addison Penn
    @addisonpenn
    I am blessed to be in this position. 100% committed to Duke University!!���� #DukeGang20

https://twitter.com/addisonpenn/stat...21770177748993
    Nice Christmas present for Duke fans!
    Bob Green

Nice Christmas present for Duke fans!
    Yes, we needed more depth to this class.

Interesting look at ACC recruiting; per 247, a total of six, 5-star recruits have signed with ACC schools; all at Clemson. Guess the disparity between the leader and the followers may not be changing soon.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Yes, we needed more depth to this class.

Interesting look at ACC recruiting; per 247, a total of six, 5-star recruits have signed with ACC schools; all at Clemson. Guess the disparity between the leader and the followers may not be changing soon.
    In FB its hard to change....in hoops, one player (Zion) could have elevated Clemson (or Wofford) over Duke in a given single season. No one player can do that in football. It takes dozens...