Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

I think you're overstating the hype Anthony came in with. I don't think anyone was saying he'd be like Zion. I mean, he wasn't even the #1 recruit coming out of high school, so clearly folks didn't think THAT highly of him.

Zion also wasn't the #1 recruit coming out of high school.

I think you're overstating the hype Anthony came in with. I don't think anyone was saying he'd be like Zion. I mean, he wasn't even the #1 recruit coming out of high school, so clearly folks didn't think THAT highly of him.

I think Anthony stands a pretty good chance of being 1st Team All-ACC and an All-American. If his teammates didn't suck, he would be a comfortable favorite to make those lists. I think that is probably in line with the preseason expectations for him.
    No, I do not think I’m overstating the hype Cole Anthony came in with. And I didn’t say anyone specifically said he’d be like Zion. I’m not sure which shows and internet sites you were watching/reading, but I saw story after story after story hyping up Anthony as being this amazing wunderkind — a transcendent player. I don’t think any of the guys on your list, including Zion, were hyped to the degree that Anthony was prior to him enrolling at UNC.

By comparison, RJ Barrett was hardly talked about before he enrolled at Duke. Yes, many thought he was going to be good, and he got some de facto hype because he was the #1-ranked player coming out of high school, but it was nowhere close to the hype Anthony got,

No, I do not think I’m overstating the hype Cole Anthony came in with. And I didn’t say anyone specifically said he’d be like Zion. I’m not sure which shows and internet sites you were watching/reading, but I saw story after story after story hyping up Anthony as being this amazing wunderkind — a transcendent player. I don’t think any of the guys on your list, including Zion, were hyped to the degree that Anthony was prior to him enrolling at UNC.

By comparison, RJ Barrett was hardly talked about before he enrolled at Duke. Yes, many thought he was going to be good, and he got some de facto hype because he was the #1-ranked player coming out of high school, but it was nowhere close to what Anthony received.

And the fact that Anthony was NOT the #1-ranked recruit — as you alluded to — made the massive amount of hype he received stand out all the more in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I don’t think any of the guys on your list, including Zion, were hyped to the degree that Anthony was prior to him enrolling at UNC.

Let us not forget that U*NC has a powerful school of journalism - and a whole lot of envy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spor...138114398/Amp/

I lost count of how many articles like this I’ve seen about Anthony. The almost overwhelming hype has been all over tv sports shows as well.
    Last edited by Steven43; 12-13-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    Let us not forget that U*NC has a powerful school of journalism - and a whole lot of envy.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Zion also wasn't the #1 recruit coming out of high school.
    Sure, but Zion's actual performance far exceeded his hype coming in. Zion was "just" known as a great dunker coming in to college. The real hype coming in was around Barrett.
    Last edited by CDu; 12-13-2019 at 10:59 AM.

By comparison, RJ Barrett was hardly talked about before he enrolled at Duke. Yes, many thought he was going to be good, and he got some de facto hype because he was the #1-ranked player coming out of high school, but it was nowhere close to what Anthony received.

And the fact that Anthony was NOT the #1-ranked recruit — as you alluded to — made the massive amount of hype he received stand out all the more in my mind.
    Yeah, we're going to have to agree to disagree on that. I think Barrett received a TON of hype coming in. I don't know that an Inside Carolina article is going to convince me that the hype for Anthony is too much. I mean, he wasn't selected Preseason ACC Player of the Year and finished behind Tre Jones in the overall Preseason ACC list. So clearly the masses didn't think he was going to be transcendant like the player Zion was last season.

I mean, it's absolutely true what Williams said in that Inside Carolina piece: Anthony IS the most complete guard he's ever landed. Lawson didn't have the size or shooting ability Anthony has. White was really a SG and not a PG. Jacque Vaughn wasn't very good offensively. Felton is probably the closest, but he didn't recruit Felton.
    Last edited by CDu; 12-13-2019 at 11:04 AM.

\By comparison, RJ Barrett was hardly talked about before he enrolled at Duke. Yes, many thought he was going to be good, and he got some de facto hype because he was the #1-ranked player coming out of high school, but it was nowhere close to what Anthony received.

Ummm... RJ led Team Canada to victory over Team USA and folks have been hyping him like crazy ever since then. Maybe you did not hear much about him but I recal a ton of hype about him as a recruit before he committed to Duke. Dude was the #1 recruit in the 2019 class before reclassifying to 2018 and he was still the #1 even going up a year in competition. Now that is hype! Worth noting that he lived up to that hype by scoring more points than any freshman in ACC history.

I agree that Anthony was hyped, perhaps a bit more than his ranking might have indicated was appropriate, but I don't feel like it was all that out of hand. I mean, Jabari Parker was on the cover of SI while still in high school. ESPN did a major preseason video series and TV special on Duke last year largely because of RJ and Zion. Marvin Bagley announced his decision to attend Duke on prime time on ESPN's Sportscenter. The Black Falcon was the preseason Player of the Year in college basketball. I'm not saying Anthony wasn't hyped, but it sure doesn't feel like Anthony's hype was as much as those guys and all that out of line for a top 5 recruit.

-Jason "perhaps because of his famous father and last name, we heard a little more about Anthony than other typical top recruits" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I agree with CDu here. Some of what you experienced was likely just "marketing" in the sense that people that follow college have to try to drum up some interest in college. Coming off The Season of Zion, where he was appointment television for pretty much the entire nation, I think talking heads were trying to find anything to hang their hat on to be excited about for this season. Anthony was one of a few players that they could dub the next "generational talent" which is a title often thrown around in the offseason. We saw it with Jabari Parker, for instance, who was on the cover of SI. Almost every year there is a player (or even more than one) that talking heads start anointing as the next "it".

Removing that aspect from the equation, I think CDu is right in the data points he gave. Anthony was not generally lauded by preseason awards or accolades that would point to him being Zion-esque. And while Jim Sumner is correct to point out that not even Zion received those accolades before last season started, this argument struck me as "Will preseason Anthony pan out as good as post-season Zion panned out?" With yes being the thesis. I don't think that's generally true, although I can't tell singular posters what they did or did not perceive. I just didn't perceive it myself, similar to what CDu expressed.

- Chillin

In any case, the hype talk was not my main focus at all; it was merely an incidental comment. My main point was that truly transcendent freshmen like Zion Williamson and Anthony Davis are very very rare.

Had things played out a bit differently Zion would have his team to the national championship as far and away the best player in all of college basketball. None of the other freshmen on CDu’s list — other than Anthony Davis — were on that level. That was really what I was trying to say, though I didn’t explain it particularly well.

Yeah, Barrett was definitely the most hyped player leading up to the season. The thought among draft experts was that Barrett was in a group by himself and everyone else was a notch below (Bagley was also in that group before he reclassified). As far as Anthony, I think a lot of the hype came from the fact that Roy has not had an elite PG recruit in a while, maybe since Felton and Lawson. Cony White turned out to be really good but he was ranked in the 20’s coming in, and guys like Kendall Marshall and Joel Berry we’re also lower ranked and didn’t have the same kind of flash. Add in the famous father and it was an easy storyline to call Anthony the savior of UNC’s program.

I think he’s lost some luster after playing great the first two games. Playing against top defenses is a huge part, but even UNC fans are starting to question his decision-making. Maybe he and the team can turn things around once everyone is healthy and they have more time to gel, but right now he doesn’t look like a top-3 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I think Anthony is going to be fine and maybe even spectacular later this year at UNC. We have seen him play 9 games. He shoots the ball well. . . .
    He may become spectacular later this season, but IMO Anthony hasn't come near living up to the enormous hype that preceded his appearance on the court, and that was amplified exponentially in the immediate aftermath of his debut. I certainly wouldn't say that Anthony is shooting the ball well so far -- just that he shoots the ball more than anyone else. Through 9 games, Anthony has taken more than twice as many shots as any of his teammates, though he's only making a modest 36.8% from the field and 67.9% from the free throw line. By comparison, Tre Jones -- whose shooting has been a popular object of criticism -- is making 42.1% from the floor and 78.7% from the free throw line. (Anthony currently holds a slight edge over Jones in made three-pointers at 35.5% vs. 32.5%, but over the past couple of weeks those respective percentages appear to be trending in the opposite direction.) And unlike Jones, Anthony has more turnovers than assists.

Again, I acknowledge that it's still early, and Anthony may yet earn all those lofty accolades. But to this point in the season, at least, I'm no more impressed with his performance than I am with that of Duke's less heralded freshmen.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I think a lot of the hype came from the fact that Roy has not had an elite PG recruit in a while, maybe since Felton and Lawson. Cony White turned out to be really good but he was ranked in the 20’s coming in, and guys like Kendall Marshall and Joel Berry we’re also lower ranked and didn’t have the same kind of flash. Add in the famous father and it was an easy storyline to call Anthony the savior of UNC’s program.
    I think you got to the heart of the Anthony hype, UC. 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Yeah, Barrett was definitely the most hyped player leading up to the season. The thought among draft experts was that Barrett was in a group by himself and everyone else was a notch below (Bagley was also in that group before he reclassified). As far as Anthony, I think a lot of the hype came from the fact that Roy has not had an elite PG recruit in a while, maybe since Felton and Lawson. Cony White turned out to be really good but he was ranked in the 20’s coming in, and guys like Kendall Marshall and Joel Berry we’re also lower ranked and didn’t have the same kind of flash. Add in the famous father and it was an easy storyline to call Anthony the savior of UNC’s program.

I think he’s lost some luster after playing great the first two games. Playing against top defenses is a huge part, but even UNC fans are starting to question his decision-making. Maybe he and the team can turn things around once everyone is healthy and they have more time to gel, but right now he doesn’t look like a top-3 pick.
    I think this is a nice post. In particular on the bolded, my sense is to ask UNC fans, "What decision making?" Roy is a system coach, right? He runs his tempo, his fast and secondary breaks. He wants two bigs, and he wants to play through the post. So what decision making is Anthony supposed to be displaying? The one that Roy wants, which essentially begs the response that there is no decision to be made just a situational rule to be followed? Or the one that causes UNC to win, which essentially requires him to force plays and take a lot of shots because no one else is overly capable of either of those things? It's not a recipe for success.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    He may become spectacular later this season, but IMO Anthony hasn't come near living up to the enormous hype that preceded his appearance on the court, and that was amplified exponentially in the immediate aftermath of his debut. I certainly wouldn't say that Anthony is shooting the ball well so far -- just that he shoots the ball more than anyone else. Through 9 games, Anthony has taken more than twice as many shots as any of his teammates, though he's only making a modest 36.8% from the field and 67.9% from the free throw line. By comparison, Tre Jones -- whose shooting has been a popular object of criticism -- is making 42.1% from the floor and 78.7% from the free throw line. (Anthony currently holds a slight edge over Jones in made three-pointers at 35.5% vs. 32.5%, but over the past couple of weeks those respective percentages appear to be trending in the opposite direction.) And unlike Jones, Anthony has more turnovers than assists.

Again, I acknowledge that it's still early, and Anthony may yet earn all those lofty accolades. But to this point in the season, at least, I'm no more impressed with his performance than I am with that of Duke's less heralded freshmen.
    Oh, I agree with this post as well. Always well stated, in typical Stray fashion. That said, I'm not sure how much of this is Anthony's fault. While I think he will continue to improve throughout the course of the season, I don't think he's going to achieve immense success because, unlike Zion (or Tre, for that matter), Cole Anthony is the significant focus of every defense UNC faces. Imagine Zion last year without RJ or Cam. Or Tre this year without Vernon or Cassius. My sense is both players' stats would have been significantly hampered by having to suffer through intense defensive schemes designed to slow them as well as having to force offense.

- Chillin

In any case, the hype talk was not my main focus at all; it was merely an incidental comment. My main point was that truly transcendent freshmen like Zion Williamson and Anthony Davis are very very rare.

Had things played out a bit differently Zion would have his team to the national championship as far and away the best player in all of college basketball. None of the other freshmen on CDu’s list — other than Anthony Davis — were on that level. That was really what I was trying to say, though I didn’t explain it particularly well.
    I think what happened was you wrote this...

People were hyping Cole Anthony as being a Zion Williamson-like impact player. Not a single one of the players you listed — other than Anthony Davis — was anywhere near Zion’s level. That was the point I was making.

Cole Anthony was talked about as being a transcendent player on the level of Zion (and Davis). He is not. And neither were any of the others on your list.
    ...and folks jumped in to say that your perception of Anthony's hype was misguided. No one... NO ONE... is saying that we believe Anthony or other top freshmen this year are anywhere close to the level of player that Zion (or Davis) was. What some of us wanted to point out was that we disagreed with your very clear statement that Anthony was getting Zion-level hype. As numerous previous posts show, Anthony's hype does not appear to have been on the level of RJ Barrett or Jabari Parker... let alone Zion.

Ok, I feel like the horse is sufficiently dead now. I'm out
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Well, the disagreement was on how hyped Anthony was. I don't think he was ever really hyped as anything close to the player Zion became last season.

As to your bolded sentence, that's not really limited to freshmen. Very few players... end stop... are as transcendent as Davis and Williamson were. Though honestly, in this era, it's much more likely that those transcendent players are freshmen than anything else.

But regardless, it's sort of an odd point to bring up in reference to Anthony, who wasn't really getting that kind of hype anyway. And in the context of what you said ("freshmen rarely make truly significant impacts"), it's kind of irrelevant anyway. Because if "truly significant" was meant to be "transcendent", then almost nobody does that (freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior). And Anthony wasn't getting "transcendent" type of hype outside of maybe a few homer "journalists". He certainly didn't get that kind of hype from the mainstream media (who voted Jordan freaking Nwora as ACC PoY and who voted Tre Jones above Anthony on All-ACC).

Well, the disagreement was on how hyped Anthony was. I don't think he was ever really hyped as anything close to the player Zion became last season.

As to your bolded sentence, that's not really limited to freshmen. Very few players... end stop... are as transcendent as Davis and Williamson were. Though honestly, in this era, it's much more likely that those transcendent players are freshmen than anything else.
    For some reason I think the Cole Anthony hype was made into a contentious ssue where there really wasn’t one. My point was that freshman are rarely transcendent (like Davis and Williamson), and Anthony likely is not, though many thought he was coming into this season. I don’t think I intimated more than that, though perhaps I did unintentionally. I’d have to go back and read my texts to be certain.
    Last edited by Steven43; 12-13-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I think Anthony is going to be fine and maybe even spectacular later this year at UNC. We have seen him play 9 games. He shoots the ball well. That alone will get you a look in the NBA. And we've seen with Kyrie and others that you don't have to be the pure playmaker at the PG position when you have the right guys around you. As weird as it would be to see as a Duke fan, Anthony would fit extremely well with RJ Barrett if they could add a floor spacer at the 3 for the Knicks. It's everyone else at UNC that has not stepped up yet. They thought that they could plug in Keeling, Pierce, Robinson, and Black into the lineup. So far, that isn't working out.
    What possible metric do you use to state Cole shoots the ball well? Sounds like you’re basing that on all the preseason hype, cause 30 something % doesn’t tell me he shoots “well”.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think what happened was you wrote this...

...and folks jumped in to say that your perception of Anthony's hype was misguided. No one... NO ONE... is saying that we believe Anthony or other top freshmen this year are anywhere close to the level of player that Zion (or Davis) was. What some of us wanted to point out was that we disagreed with your very clear statement that Anthony was getting Zion-level hype. As numerous previous posts show, Anthony's hype does not appear to have been on the level of RJ Barrett or Jabari Parker... let alone Zion.

Ok, I feel like the horse is sufficiently dead now. I'm out
    Jason, it’s not fair to come in and score some points supporting your position and THEN say that the horse is sufficiently dead. If you think the subject is dead then perhaps you shouldn’t be commenting at all at that point. I think the horse is still on a respirator clinging to life, though just barely. 😉

By the way, UNC Basketball still sucks. Can we at least agree on that?