• Maleficent 2 (Oct 18)

21 40.38%
  • Zombieland 2 (Oct 18)

5 9.62%
  • Terminator: Dark Fate (Nov 1)

8 15.38%
  • Frozen 2 (Nov 22)

51 98.08%
  • Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Nov 22)

4 7.69%
  • Knives Out (Nov 27)

2 3.85%
  • Jumanji: Next Level (Dec 13)

48 92.31%
  • Star Wars 9 (Dec 20)

52 100.00%
  • Cats (Dec 20)

4 7.69%
  • Bad Boys III (Jan 17)

3 5.77%
  • Dr. Dolittle (Jan 17)

5 9.62%
  • Birds of Prey (Feb 7)

9 17.31%
  • Field

9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    We're seeing some box office history this weekend as "Playmobil: The Movie" looks to achieve one of the worst opening weekends ever:

According to Wikipedia the production budget is $40MM.
    Movie Exec: "Well, it built a franchise for Lego . . . ."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Movie Exec: "Well, it built a franchise for Lego . . . ."
    One of my favorite "rotten" review quote.
    But much like the Playmobil toys, with their poky feet and weird, lobster-like hands, Playmobil: The Movie is similar but inferior to the Lego equivalent.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Back on topic for this thread...

Frozen 2 won the weekend with $34.6 million. It is now at $337 mil in total boxoffice.

More significantly, Knives Out made $14.1 mil, only dropping 47% from its opening weekend. That's a pretty strong hold for Knives Out, but only brings its total to $63.4 million. I think it is looking like a longshot to make more than maybe $125 million and it seems like Knives Out will probably not be our #5 film.

Current standings:
    Frozen 2 - $337.5 mil
    Joker - $332.1 mil
    Maleficent 2 - $112.3 mil
    Downton Abbey - $96.7 mil
    Ford v. Ferrari - $$91.1 mil
    Knives Out - $63.4 mil

This weekend brings us another film most folks think is a lock, Jumanji: Next Level (should we shorthand it as Jumanji 2 or 3?).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Just one small correction. Downton Abbey isn't in the contest (it was released 9/20). It should be replaced by The Addams Family with a nearly identical dollar amount - $96.5 million as of Thu (no weekend estimate).

Quote Originally Posted by LegoBatman View Post
    Just one small correction. Downton Abbey isn't in the contest (it was released 9/20). It should be replaced by The Addams Family with a nearly identical dollar amount - $96.5 million as of Thu (no weekend estimate).
    I notice that LegoBatman is not commenting on the Playmobil movie. The quiet contentment of watching a competitor flounder, I see!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I notice that LegoBatman is not commenting on the Playmobil movie. The quiet contentment of watching a competitor flounder, I see!
    Does Playmobil make a Mermaid Man?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    One of my favorite "rotten" review quote.
    The playmobil stuff doesn’t break the same way as Legos do when you hit someone over the head with a pirate ship. Having lived in Germany in my youth, I’m quite familiar with the Playmobil toys. I don’t recall seeing them with as much frequency here in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    The playmobil stuff doesn’t break the same way as Legos do when you hit someone over the head with a pirate ship. Having lived in Germany in my youth, I’m quite familiar with the Playmobil toys. I don’t recall seeing them with as much frequency here in the US.
    I almost got busted at the border with a Kinder Egg once.

Universal just dropped a promotional video for Dolittle in which RDjr is doing "auditions" with a bunch of the animals from the film. It is supposed to be funny... but I don't think I cracked a smile once. This is painful and if it is an indication of the humor found in this flick... whew... not good.

-Jason "also, I sure hope the CGI is better in the movie because the animals look just awful in this promo" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Universal just dropped a promotional video for Dolittle in which RDjr is doing "auditions" with a bunch of the animals from the film. It is supposed to be funny... but I don't think I cracked a smile once. This is painful and if it is an indication of the humor found in this flick... whew... not good.

-Jason "also, I sure hope the CGI is better in the movie because the animals look just awful in this promo" Evans
    This has looked like a flop to me since the moment I heard about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    This has looked like a flop to me since the moment I heard about it.
    That's a shame. Quite the "A" list of actors lending their voices.

You must spread some Comments around before commenting on OldPhiKap again.

A lot of good picking The Lego Batman Movie did me a few years ago...

But since you asked...

I read that the movie was supposed to have been released in October 2017, but the production company ended up going bankrupt. STX bought the distribution rights for the US. Edwards/Regal was advertising $5 tickets for this before Frozen 2 (side note: my 4 yo sons first ever movie in a theater) so I'm guessing they had pretty low expectations from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    That's a shame. Quite the "A" list of actors lending their voices.
    Yep. Feels like a cheap attempt to cash in on celeb names, except most of them won't actually appear in the movie, and I don't expect the movie to actually carry itself absent that.

Just got home from taking the family to see Jumanji. It was just ok. There were some really funny laugh out loud moments but but the end I was getting kind of tired off it. I'd give it a B+ score I guess. The first one was much better overall.

Also for anyone taking young children to this be warned, the language is horrible. I counted at least 5 or 6 God D__n's and too many to count other swears. It was over the top for what most would say is a family film. I wasn't very pleased with that to say the least.

Jumanji is now being forecast to come in at $60 million this weekend, exceeding forecasts and putting it in great position for a top 5 finish.

Not that it is a contender but I wanted to post my latest podcast review... The Aeronauts with Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones. She is really great in it and the film has stunning visuals, but the story lags at times and Eddie is just being Eddie the whole time, yawn. Josh and I think it would have done better released at a different time of year.

Have a listen here: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2019/1...ght-about.html

-Jason "I'll post the podcast review of 1917 in a couple days... as you can imagine it is mostly the two of us fighting about who loved it more" Evans

Jumanji did $59 million.

Frozen 2 - $366.4
    Joker - $333.0
    Maleficent 2 - $112.7
    Ford v. Ferrari - $98.2
    Downton Abbey - $96.8
    Knives Out - $78.8

Jumanji did $59 million.

Frozen 2 - $366.4
    Joker - $333.0
    Maleficent 2 - $112.7
    Ford v. Ferrari - $98.2
    Downton Abbey - $96.8
    Knives Out - $78.8
    "Downtown" Abbey is not eligible for our contest.

Jumanji did $59 million.

Frozen 2 - $366.4
    Joker - $333.0
    Maleficent 2 - $112.7
    Ford v. Ferrari - $98.2
    Downton Abbey - $96.8
    Knives Out - $78.8
    Not knowing much about how box office projections work, how does that opening look for Jumanji to pass Maleficent?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Not knowing much about how box office projections work, how does that opening look for Jumanji to pass Maleficent?
    I would guess that Jumanji will have a big second weekend (holiday) and pass Maleficent before the end of its second weekend. I don't think Star Wars will take too much audience away. There should be enough for everyone.