• Maleficent 2 (Oct 18)

21 40.38%
  • Zombieland 2 (Oct 18)

5 9.62%
  • Terminator: Dark Fate (Nov 1)

8 15.38%
  • Frozen 2 (Nov 22)

51 98.08%
  • Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Nov 22)

4 7.69%
  • Knives Out (Nov 27)

2 3.85%
  • Jumanji: Next Level (Dec 13)

48 92.31%
  • Star Wars 9 (Dec 20)

52 100.00%
  • Cats (Dec 20)

4 7.69%
  • Bad Boys III (Jan 17)

3 5.77%
  • Dr. Dolittle (Jan 17)

5 9.62%
  • Birds of Prey (Feb 7)

9 17.31%
  • Field

9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Ok, time for a new contender to emerge... even though I did not vote for it, I am officially telling anyone who will listen to go see Knives Out. It is a great mystery with a ton of gut-busting humor (not slapstick or silly, this humor is genuinely earned). I cannot think of anyone over the age of 15 who will not adore this film.

Here is a quick (8 minute) podcast in which Josh and I spend the whole time talking about how much we adored this film: http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2019/11...ut-knives.html

-Jason "I have not put my full top 10 for the year together yet (later this week) but Knives Out will be in the top 3, I suspect, and Rian Johnson is up there for director and screenplay" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Frozen is targeted to kids. Who is the Mr. Roger’s film targeted at? I would contend it overlaps a bit with Ford v Ferrari at least from an age perspective. But then I quit watching Mr. Roger’s in the late 70s.
    This is a problem for this movie. The nostalgia almost pulls me in but I probably would not go see this as an adult, however I thought I might take my kid since it's got a positive message. The problem is my 10 year old has no idea who Mr. Rogers is and has no interest in seeing the film. So who will go see it?
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    This is a problem for this movie. The nostalgia almost pulls me in but I probably would not go see this as an adult, however I thought I might take my kid since it's got a positive message. The problem is my 10 year old has no idea who Mr. Rogers is and has no interest in seeing the film. So who will go see it?
    This is not a kids movie! They will be bored and not really understand the very significant adult issues being explored onscreen. As I explained in my brief, 100 word review:
    Don’t go into this film thinking it is a biography of Mr. Rogers (Tom Hanks). This is the story of troubled magazine writer Lloyd Vogel (Matthew Rhys), who gets assigned to do a short puff piece on Fred Rogers. Vogel is skeptical that the seemingly perfect Rogers is who he appears to be, but is soon convinced as the TV icon tries to help Lloyd turn his life around.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This is not a kids movie! They will be bored and not really understand the very significant adult issues being explored onscreen. As I explained in my brief, 100 word review:
    For what it's worth, PBS's current show, "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood" is a generational spin-off from Mr. Rogers. This is my kids favorite show. It's sweet, good natured and has important messages for little kids.

The show is set in the land of Make Believe and is basically the next generation. Prince Wednesday is a kid not born yet to King Friday. Daniel is the son of the original Tiger. ...and of course Trolley is still around making sure everyone gets to where they need to be.

Dang it! I must have missed another podcast.

*Yeah, yeah, going back to the well again. I know some will tire of it rapidly.

Ok, time for a new contender to emerge... even though I did not vote for it, I am officially telling anyone who will listen to go see Knives Out. It is a great mystery with a ton of gut-busting humor (not slapstick or silly, this humor is genuinely earned). I cannot think of anyone over the age of 15 who will not adore this film.

Here is a quick (8 minute) podcast in which Josh and I spend the whole time talking about how much we adored this film: http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2019/11...ut-knives.html

-Jason "I have not put my full top 10 for the year together yet (later this week) but Knives Out will be in the top 3, I suspect, and Rian Johnson is up there for director and screenplay" Evans
    Not that you need it, but here is my 100-word review (for folks who want to skip the pod).

http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2019/11...nives-out.html

This is one of those stories where even when you think you know whodunit, there is still plenty to unravel.

I'll keep a sharp lookout for this one.

The previews for Knives Out, and especially 1917, look great.

I’ll be honest, King Friday scared the hell out of me as a kid. True. Always avoided Mr. Rogers because of that.

Mentioned on another thread — loved Joker. Joaquin Phoenix was phenomenal. Movie was not what I expected at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I'll keep a sharp lookout for this one.
    Jason's review was certainly on point, and well handled.

I had to take a stab at it!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The previews for Knives Out, and especially 1917, look great.

Saw it last night... I'm in awe of what I witnessed. Completely destroyed my award ballots and has me rethinking just about every category. If anyone other than Roger Deakins wins Best Cinematography this year, we all need to rise up and riot in the streets.

-Jason "1917 does not open for a few weeks so I need to wait a bit for my podcast and 100 Word Review" Evans

Saw it last night... I'm in awe of what I witnessed. Completely destroyed my award ballots and has me rethinking just about every category. If anyone other than Roger Deakins wins Best Cinematography this year, we all need to rise up and riot in the streets.

-Jason "1917 does not open for a few weeks so I need to wait a bit for my podcast and 100 Word Review" Evans
    Really great to hear that, thanks. I see they are also re-releasing Peter Jackson's "They Shall Never Grow Old" for limited release a few weeks before -- I highly highly highly recommend it, and stay for the "how we made it" 20-minute film at the end as well.

Am planning to see Knives Out on Thanksgiving based on your recommendation, thanks!

Really great to hear that, thanks. I see they are also re-releasing Peter Jackson's "They Shall Never Grow Old" for limited release a few weeks before -- I highly highly highly recommend it, and stay for the "how we made it" 20-minute film at the end as well.

Am planning to see Knives Out on Thanksgiving based on your recommendation, thanks!
    I would pay full price for a movie ticket right now to see a full-length "making of" doc on 1917, that's for sure. Not only is the film a really compelling story, it is a remarkable technical achievement. I was quite literary jaw-agape half a dozen times at the camerawork. It was impossible and yet... they did it.

I would pay full price for a movie ticket right now to see a full-length "making of" doc on 1917, that's for sure. Not only is the film a really compelling story, it is a remarkable technical achievement. I was quite literary jaw-agape half a dozen times at the camerawork. It was impossible and yet... they did it.

"You must spread some Comments around before commenting on JasonEvans again."

Come on. This is cheap, lazy filmmaking. No CGI, no lighting, only a couple of hours of film, mostly single camera work. Kind of a "Blair Witch Project" version of "Saving Private Ryan."

Of course I am kidding. This film looks exciting, a real adventure in storytelling. I understand it was specifically formatted for IMAX, which is surprisingly still relatively rare.

It must be exciting to work on a project like this, something innovative for the sake of art, art that drives a good storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Jason's review was certainly on point, and well handled.

I had to take a stab at it!

I'm just glad he didn't offer a cutting review.

the rapier-like wit of this board truly pierces to the heart of the matter.

the rapier-like wit of this board truly pierces to the heart of the matter.
    I tried to do a knife pun, but there was no point.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I tried to do a knife pun, but there was no point.
    Very incisive.

If ya'll keep this distraction up, I'm really going to have to cut you off.

If ya'll keep this distraction up, I'm really going to have to cut you off.
    Shearly you jest.