Page 44 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast
    Can we compromise on "more longer?"

Some reverse jinx action today. Cam was 100% on his 3 3’s tonight with 6 from 10 FG’s. Super shooter Trae Young was 1 from 5.

On another note I have been bitten a few times by the grammar police. It’s no laughing matter. The humiliation and embarrassment hurts.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Some reverse jinx action today. Cam was 100% on his 3 3’s tonight with 6 from 10 FG’s. Super shooter Trae Young was 1 from 5.

On another note I have been bitten a few times by the grammar police. It’s no laughing matter. The humiliation and embarrassment hurts.
    Cam’s had 2 or 3 games where he’s either made all or most of his 3s. Most other games he’s been 0-5, 1-7, etc. I guess that’s part being a rookie and simply Cam is an inconsistent shooter.

And for something more lighthearted: in this video, the Nuggets took a break to play some soccer after practice. Keep watching and you'll see some decent skills from Mason Plumlee, including the game winning penalty kick.

As one poster commented: "Plumlee is the only one to not bring shame upon our country"

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Cam’s had 2 or 3 games where he’s either made all or most of his 3s. Most other games he’s been 0-5, 1-7, etc. I guess that’s part being a rookie and simply Cam is an inconsistent shooter.
    y'all beat me to it, on both counts! Me n my pops have a long-standing tradition of anti-jinxing our favorite baseball team (StL), such that whenever we complain about so and so playing so poorly and being vastly overpaid, that player will go on a 10-game hitting streak and hit 6 HRs and drive in 15 runs immediately after our criticism. Seems the same is true for me when offering up criticism on DBR! I've noticed the same thing Arnie did, and it does seem odd that someone can so consistently shoot 1-5 or so and sporadically shoot 3-3. Anyway, I hope Cam figures it out and has a successful year in ATL.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    y'all beat me to it, on both counts! Me n my pops have a long-standing tradition of anti-jinxing our favorite baseball team (StL), such that whenever we complain about so and so playing so poorly and being vastly overpaid, that player will go on a 10-game hitting streak and hit 6 HRs and drive in 15 runs immediately after our criticism. Seems the same is true for me when offering up criticism on DBR! I've noticed the same thing Arnie did, and it does seem odd that someone can so consistently shoot 1-5 or so and sporadically shoot 3-3. Anyway, I hope Cam figures it out and has a successful year in ATL.
    I wish your anti-jinxing would work on Matt Carpenter but I believe he's beyond help. GoDuke and GoRedbirds!

I think we all want Cam to figure it out. He has lots of potential, etc etc. But let's not kid ourselves, we all felt the same way all season last year as well and outside of a couple of spectacular games, Cam never really hit what we thought should be his stride. It's like the same discussion all over again a year later (only NBA instead of Duke).

At the same time, sometimes we forget how young these guys really are and how the current system pushes them to the NBA after only one year of college hoops (ready or not). If Cam comes around 2 years from now...that's fantastic, he'll be a 2 year NBA player on the verge of signing his second contract and have the beginning of a great career.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I think we all want Cam to figure it out. He has lots of potential, etc etc. But let's not kid ourselves, we all felt the same way all season last year as well and outside of a couple of spectacular games, Cam never really hit what we thought should be his stride. It's like the same discussion all over again a year later (only NBA instead of Duke).

At the same time, sometimes we forget how young these guys really are and how the current system pushes them to the NBA after only one year of college hoops (ready or not). If Cam comes around 2 years from now...that's fantastic, he'll be a 2 year NBA player on the verge of signing his second contract and have the beginning of a great career.
    Everything you wrote makes perfect sense. It is kind of crazy how so many people expect these OAD guys to be good NBA players within a year or two, otherwise they are considered a bust at age 21 or something.

Gary got the start for Portland in Milwaukie tonight, first half had 7 points on 3-4. Listed as having 2 blocks as well as 1 each of rebound, steal, and assist.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Everything you wrote makes perfect sense. It is kind of crazy how so many people expect these OAD guys to be good NBA players within a year or two, otherwise they are considered a bust at age 21 or something.
    True. Ingram is perfect example — he’s now coming into his own. I think he’s going to have a monster night tonight against Suns.

5+ minutes left in the 3rd. JJ 5-7from 3, 22 points thus far. On TNT.

To start the 4th of quarter, they get a quick interview with Montey Williams and they ask him what his team can do to stop JJ Redick (who has 26). I can still remember opposing fans saying what a bust he would be in the NBA. Here he is, 13 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    To start the 4th of quarter, they get a quick interview with Montey Williams and they ask him what his team can do to stop JJ Redick (who has 26). I can still remember opposing fans saying what a bust he would be in the NBA. Here he is, 13 years later.
    And top 20 in 3's all time. Will pass a few more guys this year too.

Yeah, after a slightly slow start to the year, JJ is in full flame-thrower mode right now. He's above 46% from 3 on the year, and over 50% in his last ten games. He's actually averaging (very slightly) more makes from three this year than he did last year on nearly a full attempt fewer per game. Just absolutely locked in. And he's been really impressive at leveraging the fact that defenses are straight-up terrified of him from 3 to get some easy buckets inside the arc, too, which (at least in my memory) isn't something he did as much in Philly (probably because he WAS their spacing by himself).

Brandon Ingram was 1-7 in the first half today and ended with a game-high 28 on 9-19. When he gets to the line as much as he is right now (was 7-9 today from the stripe; helps when he's making them, too), he's just a devastating scorer. And we still have a ways to go before anyone will completely trust it, but he's still shooting 44% from 3 on the year. He's also taking nearly 5.5 threes a game, which is way more than double his previous best. Again, it's still early, but he's legitimately one of the more complete scorers in the world right now. You don't see shotcharts this diverse in the league very often anymore:

shotchart.jpg

Edit: While we're talking cool BI shot-location things, check out how efficient he is from 12 feet! An assassin in the midrange, too.

shotchart (1).jpg
    Last edited by TheOldBattleship; 11-22-2019 at 01:58 AM.

Redick is a smart guy and worked his tail off to maximize his shooting gift. Zion is going to make this team very interesting. They have a lot of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Redick is a smart guy and worked his tail off to maximize his shooting gift. Zion is going to make this team very interesting. They have a lot of talent.
    Speaking of that.. have we heard anything about when Zion might be back? I was hoping end of November.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Yeah, different guys attain NBA success in different. Some have overwhelming talent, and for them success comes relatively early and even easily.

But I like watching the other guys, too...guys like Redick, Seth Curry and Quinn Cook have had to work like crazy to achieve the success they currently have. That's impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    Gary got the start for Portland in Milwaukie tonight, first half had 7 points on 3-4. Listed as having 2 blocks as well as 1 each of rebound, steal, and assist.
    Trent finished with 13 on 5/7, 3/4 from 3 in 20 minutes. He was +3 in a game where no other stater was + so hopefully he earned more minutes going forward. Hood also started and scored 11.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Speaking of that.. have we heard anything about when Zion might be back? I was hoping end of November.
    Latest I've seen is mid-December. (I'm guessing that he's going to play in the primetime Christmas Day game unless he can't walk.)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    Latest I've seen is mid-December. (I'm guessing that he's going to play in the primetime Christmas Day game unless he can't walk.)
    That's always been my guess as well. Whether that be his debut regular season game (preferably not), or his 5th or 6th game, I've always thought Christmas Day was when we would for sure see him on the court.