Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Logic says we don't have much of a chance. Logic is for fools and Vulcans. Duke 31, ND 28...

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Logic says we don't have much of a chance. Logic is for fools and Vulcans. Duke 31, ND 28...
    i prefer to think of myself as a vulcan with a human mother.
    1200. DDMF.

I may have missed it upthread somewhere but I'm still waiting for Bob Green's prediction, but that might be some sort of crazietalk…

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I may have missed it upthread somewhere but I'm still waiting for Bob Green's prediction...
    Duke 27, Notre Dame 24

A.J. Reed will kick a game winning FG late in 4th quarter.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Duke 27, Notre Dame 24

A.J. Reed will kick a game winning FG late in 4th quarter.
    And, the official signal on that FGA is:

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.p...0&pid=3.1&rm=2

This is an entertaining preview from a Notre Dame site:

https://www.onefootdown.com/2019/11/...tcliffe-sports

It starts with an understatement:

The Duke Blue Devils offense is not particularly great this season.
    Bob Green

College Football News preview:

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019...n-game-preview

...there won’t be too much to worry about from the Duke offense that doesn’t have the passing game lately to pull this off.
    The various previews are consistently stating Duke can’t pass the ball. Those of us who follow Duke football closely are not going to argue the point. Notre Dame does not possess a strong run defense so they are going to load the box, focus on stopping the run and dare us to beat them passing.

Harris and the offense must achieve enough success passing to force ND to back off. This is a winnable game as long as we achieve offensive balance and sustain drives.
    Bob Green

The various previews are consistently stating Duke can’t pass the ball. Those of us who follow Duke football closely are not going to argue the point. Notre Dame does not possess a strong run defense so they are going to load the box, focus on stopping the run and dare us to beat them passing.

Harris and the offense must achieve enough success passing to force ND to back off. This is a winnable game as long as we achieve offensive balance and sustain drives.
    I don't like our chances in this one - it likely will get ugly quickly. Prove me wrong Devils.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

As of now, I certainly won't argue the point...but there were points earlier where we could pass the ball. Middle Tennessee is not a world beater, but they're not a lower division team, and gave Michigan fits for a good part of that game. Our passing game destroyed Middle Tennessee, wrapping up the game by half. There were other moments too in some other games.

But your'e right: at this moment: I don't see a passing game. It seems Harris has regressed, and maybe Bobo and Young too.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Our passing game destroyed Middle Tennessee, wrapping up the game by half.
    There was one thing I saw at that game that differs sharply from what I've noticed in most of the following games. MTSU could not put any pressure on Harris at all, and he pretty much owned that game (including several very pretty long passes). In most of the games after that, the D-lines were able to pressure Harris and I really think that bothers him a bit. I suspect that might be part of the reason that there have been a paucity of downfield passing plays recently (along with the difficulty in our receivers getting early separation). Not to say that play schemes couldn't be drawn up to try to better relieve some of that pressure.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    There was one thing I saw at that game that differs sharply from what I've noticed in most of the following games. MTSU could not put any pressure on Harris at all, and he pretty much owned that game (including several very pretty long passes). In most of the games after that, the D-lines were able to pressure Harris and I really think that bothers him a bit. I suspect that might be part of the reason that there have been a paucity of downfield passing plays recently (along with the difficulty in our receivers getting early separation). Not to say that play schemes couldn't be drawn up to try to better relieve some of that pressure.
    I agree. What I’ve observed is that he isn’t getting to his second or third choices. If he could, he’d find some open receivers on the other side of the field.

GAME DAY!

The fact that Duke fans are discussing the possibility our Blue Devils can be competitive with Notre Dame on the Gridiron is indicative of how far the program has risen since Coach Cutcliffe arrived in 2008. Every Duke fan should take a couple moments today and mentally transport themselves back to 2000 - 2007.

I’ll keep my pregame comments brief. The defense and special teams have been getting the job done so they need to get it done tonight. The offense and play calling must be a lot better.

1. Sustain drives and score points — keep the defense rested.
    2. Create turnovers but don’t commit them.
    3. No dumb penalties.

Let’s Go Duke. It is time to secure win #5!

Final comment — since 2012, the first season Duke returned to being competitive — our beloved Blue Devils are 7-3 after a bye week.
    Bob Green

Duke 27-ND 20 - carolina 9F
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Bob - amen re the transformation. Saddest I've ever been for Duke -- as a school -- was the opening FB game 2007. The lack of energy on campus was disheartening. Tonight will be a fall, football celebration for Duke, which at its best is a place of high energy and spirit and optimism (and intellectual rigor and morality). Cut has added to the vitality of the university and the spirit of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Bob - amen re the transformation. Saddest I've ever been for Duke -- as a school -- was the opening FB game 2007. The lack of energy on campus was disheartening. Tonight will be a fall, football celebration for Duke, which at its best is a place of high energy and spirit and optimism (and intellectual rigor and morality). Cut has added to the vitality of the university and the spirit of the people.
    I'm on the Reilly bus.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Can I get on or is it too crowded? Agreed regarding Cut...I'm still thankful we landed him. But there's a big football game tonight at 7:30 - let's go Blue Devils! Beat the Irish!

For your Daily Wager I'm changing it up a bit.

Rather than a pie, this bet is for a Dewey's Moravian Sugar Cake (or one of the coffee cakes if you prefer). Made right here in Winston-Salem, and amazingly good if you like brown sugar. They're also much cheaper than the Grand Traverse pies. Even after shipping they're less than $18.

https://www.deweys.com/shop/category/d-coffee-cake/

I'll take Duke + 7.5 points.
    You get Notre Dame -7.5 points.

First taker only. Bet offer expires at 5 pm. Anybody wanna play?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Gotta back up my Little Giant compadre on this one. I've said it before: short of any discovery of legal malfeasance, Cutcliffe has a lifetime pass from me in reward for his resurrection of Duke football. And I, for one, admire his support of his coaching staff … even if the play-calling might seem, at times, inscrutable.

I have no idea with this one given our usually good D and our wildly unpredictable and inconsistent O. My WAG:

Domers 24
    Devils 17

Staying out of RJ199's pie/cake zone.

Duke will surely come prepared, but I dont share Bob's optimism. I think the Irish are just a little more athletic. I like Notre Dame, but will be ready to eat humble pie.