• Maleficent 2 (Oct 18)

21 40.38%
  • Zombieland 2 (Oct 18)

5 9.62%
  • Terminator: Dark Fate (Nov 1)

8 15.38%
  • Frozen 2 (Nov 22)

51 98.08%
  • Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Nov 22)

4 7.69%
  • Knives Out (Nov 27)

2 3.85%
  • Jumanji: Next Level (Dec 13)

48 92.31%
  • Star Wars 9 (Dec 20)

52 100.00%
  • Cats (Dec 20)

4 7.69%
  • Bad Boys III (Jan 17)

3 5.77%
  • Dr. Dolittle (Jan 17)

5 9.62%
  • Birds of Prey (Feb 7)

9 17.31%
  • Field

9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I just want to say that if I have to lose this year, I hope I lose to Knives Out. Every critic friend I know who saw it at TIFF has raved about it!
    Didn't realize that one was a Rian "Subvert Expectations" Johnson film, so now I have an excuse to post this very short film:

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Didn't realize that one was a Rian "Subvert Expectations" Johnson film, so now I have an excuse to post this very short film:

I'll admit it. I did not expect that.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    I don't get it.

Just like with The Last Jedi...I didn't quite get that one either. Rain Johnson is dead to me. He'll go right up there with Lucas as one of the worst Star Wars films in the history of 9 films.

According to Variety, Dark Fate is expected to have a $40MM opening weekend, though some think it will have a hard time making that much. Either way, it's hard to see this one placing in the top 5.

Film Pinot Noir, I love it.

According to Variety, Dark Fate is expected to have a $40MM opening weekend, though some think it will have a hard time making that much. Either way, it's hard to see this one placing in the top 5.
    I got busy and forgot to post my 100-word review of Dark Fate.

Click over to read... I thought it was a decent action flick and I enjoyed watching it, but I rolled my eyes a few times and was rarely surprised at anything that happened throughout.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Folks keep saying it won’t be top 5 due to projections like this one. But I ask again, with Maleficent flopping, what other flick(s) have the best chance of outpacing Dark Fate? I still refuse to believe it will be Birds of Prey. So what else? Knives Out?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Folks keep saying it won’t be top 5 due to projections like this one. But I ask again, with Maleficent flopping, what other flick(s) have the best chance of outpacing Dark Fate? I still refuse to believe it will be Birds of Prey. So what else? Knives Out?
    With a $40 mil opening, it will struggle to make more than about $125 mil. I guess it is possible that folks will only go see Star Wars, Frozen, and Jumaniji this winter and not go see any other films (perhaps they will all stay home and watch Netflix, Amazon, and Disney+) but if the 5th most successful film this winter is a movie that makes less than $140 mil at the boxoffice it would not only be historic but it would likely indicate some kind of fundamental shift away from moviegoing that would be the beginning of the end of Hollywood.

Number of films to top $150 million in domestic boxoffice from Nov-Feb

2018 - 8
    2017 - 6
    2016 - 8
    2015 - 6
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

So I assume no mention of Ford vs Ferrari because it doesn't have enough CGI nonsense, and is based on something that actually happened...(it also has a few really actors like Christian Bale and Tracy Letts, along with Matt Damon who has some followers as well)...I guess you can't expect much out of a $98 million film.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    So I assume no mention of Ford vs Ferrari because it doesn't have enough CGI nonsense, and is based on something that actually happened...(it also has a few really actors like Christian Bale and Tracy Letts, along with Matt Damon who has some followers as well)...I guess you can't expect much out of a $98 million film.
    Actually, back on page 1 of the thread I mentioned it as one of the stronger films you get if you pick the field. I've heard good things and am very eager to see it. I see it next week, more than a week before it opens which indicates the studio is confident reviews will help build good word of mouth.

...it would likely indicate some kind of fundamental shift away from moviegoing that would be the beginning of the end of Hollywood.
    I would think the beginning of the end of the movie theater as the primary means to view feature films. Is that all that Hollywood embodies?

Actually, back on page 1 of the thread I mentioned it as one of the stronger films you get if you pick the field. I've heard good things and am very eager to see it. I see it next week, more than a week before it opens which indicates the studio is confident reviews will help build good word of mouth.
    My car club will likely see it as a group of 25+. We had wanted to see it at the local drive in but the weather has been uncharacteristically cool lately. Maybe it will warm back up.

It isn't a sequel or a prequel!

You think movie goers want to spend money on something they haven't seen before?

Jason --

Are you hearing anything about Midway? The story of the actual battle is so compelling -- I really don't want them to screw it up, but I have a nagging sense I can't shake that they will, and this will be another Pearl Harbor.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Jason --

Are you hearing anything about Midway? The story of the actual battle is so compelling -- I really don't want them to screw it up, but I have a nagging sense I can't shake that they will, and this will be another Pearl Harbor.
    From the trailers it looks terrible. Would be nice if it isn't.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Jason --

I have been skeptical about this flick since I heard Roland Emmerich had pitched it to every studio in town and none of them wanted to put money into it. He eventually found foreign backers and folks outside the studio system, which is how he got the $100 mil he needed to make the movie, but I see it as not a good sign that he could not find a studio willing to back him given he has a pretty strong track record (though his most recent film, Independence Day: Resurgence, was a flop).

They are screening it on Monday at the same time they are screening Dr. Sleep. I am going to see Sleep instead. We should start to hear buzz early next week.

-Jason "one problem with an independently financed flick like this is that the promotion/marketing budget is generally kinda small compared to a similar studio film" Evans

They are screening it on Monday at the same time they are screening Dr. Sleep. I am going to see Sleep instead.
    Looking forward to hearing what you think on that one. I really liked the book and thought it was a great sequel to the Shining.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Looking forward to hearing what you think on that one. I really liked the book and thought it was a great sequel to the Shining.
    I read it when it came out. I think it was an airport purchase. I don't have any particular memories of it, to be honest.