Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Just read an article from bleacher report about this. Lots of info, and they talk about Bill Self’s personal involvement and connection to it. Then they refer to a text message that was used in court testimony in which Self is supposedly working with a third party to pay a recruit cash. Self says to the guy “that’s how it works, at UNC and Duke.”

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Just read an article from bleacher report about this. Lots of info, and they talk about Bill Self’s personal involvement and connection to it. Then they refer to a text message that was used in court testimony in which Self is supposedly working with a third party to pay a recruit cash. Self says to the guy “that’s how it works, at UNC and Duke.”
    That text message has been in the public purview for a while now. It’s not new. Though it does sound like Bill Self ascribes to the Cheater anthem... “Everyone does it.”

BTW, does KU have any big men they’ve been recruiting or who have already committed for 2020?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Yeah, I think in that context “Duke and UNC” meant “all the top schools” and not us specifically. Though I am glad he mentioned both schools, otherwise whichever school he didn’t say would be having a field day.

I remember reading the full quote and it was something like “in order to win a title we need to get some players, that’s how they do it at Duke and UNC.” So you could argue that he was talking about landing top players, not necessarily paying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Where's Manalishi? He always has the scoop!
    “too soon”

I have several Kansas friends who, upon hearing this news, immediately responded with, "Do you think Duke is clean?"

My response is, "Yes, until I see evidence otherwise I will. But I would urge you not to engage in the false equivalency/whataboutism that is such an awful part of modern political discourse. Whether Duke or UNC or Kentucky or Arizona also cheats is immaterial. It now very much appears that Kansas was neck deep in paying players. At some point there are kids and programs who are being cheated as a result of that action by Kansas. If you break the most sacred of NCAA rules, your answer cannot be 'we should not get punished because others do it too.' That's total bull!"

Which is a bigger recruiting tool? Cash or "You won't have to go to class".

I hate any story about NCAA violations. All it ever does is remind me of uNC. Guess it's time to let it go.

Silvio DeSousa is one of the players reportedly named in the NOA, as his guardian received money. If I remember correctly, he was declared ineligible for two years, sat out a season, then appealed the ruling and was declared eligible to play this coming season. So, if the NCAA winds up declaring him ineligible again, how dumb are they going to look?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    3 level 1 violations... I'd be tempted to say this could be serious but we have seen the NCAA cower in fear of the big programs sooooo many times. I'm not popping my popcorn just yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Three level-1 violations? UNC lawyers say “hold my beer.”
    Yea, IIRC, the cheats got five "first" place votes.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I hate all of this because no one wins in these. The NCAA rarely if ever comes away looking like justice was fair and impartial. A program that should be a pillar of the college basketball pantheon has been playing very loose for years. Rather than cleaning themselves up, they’ll fight tooth and nail. They have too much at risk... and I don’t mean integrity, no one seems to care about that. And of course the investigation will take at least until after the season maybe the next.

Arizona is still recruiting at the somewhat high level it feels like and their news has been just as damming. Kansas won’t have much problem either. I want to care but things don’t seem to get better. Such a shame. Maybe it’s just the UNC deal still fresh but hard to believe Kansas, Arizona, Louisville and other prominent programs will give up much in the end. The crime typically is worth the small risks. Too bad.

I hate all of this because no one wins in these. The NCAA rarely if ever comes away looking like justice was fair and impartial. A program that should be a pillar of the college basketball pantheon has been playing very loose for years. Rather than cleaning themselves up, they’ll fight tooth and nail. They have too much at risk... and I don’t mean integrity, no one seems to care about that. And of course the investigation will take at least until after the season maybe the next.

I'm confused...are you talking about carolina or kansas? after how the cheats skated, I have zero confidence in the ncaa
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 09-24-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Silvio DeSousa is one of the players reportedly named in the NOA, as his guardian received money. If I remember correctly, he was declared ineligible for two years, sat out a season, then appealed the ruling and was declared eligible to play this coming season. So, if the NCAA winds up declaring him ineligible again, how feckless are they going to look?
    FIFY

(Sorry-had to work that into one more thread )
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    I'm confused...are you talking about carolina or kansas? after how the cheats skated, I have zero confidence in the ncaa
    ...does that make the NCAA a bunch of cheatskates...

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon View Post
    I hate all of this because no one wins in these.
    UNC cheated for over two decades and got away scot-free. I say it's pretty clear that they won, hands down.

If you're a college coach there is zero reason NOT to cheat. What's the worst that can happen? You have to sit out a few early season games? Big whoop. Even in the absolute worst case scenario, which has virtually no chance of happening, you vacate a portion of the games that you won. You still keep all the money that you earned and you're still worshiped as a hero among all your fans.

I would venture to guess that the majority of casual college basketball fans have no clue that Syracuse was punished for major rules violations a couple years ago. Boeheim sat out a few non-conference yawners, they made the final four the following year and he's still in the Hall of Fame. If I were a young coach just starting out, you'd have a hard time convincing me that cheating wasn't the way to go. It's like telling a bank robber he could steal a million dollars and the penalty IF he gets caught is that he'll have to pay back a few thousand of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Which is a bigger recruiting tool? Cash or "You won't have to go to class."...
    You got it all wrong. It's not "won't have to go to class," it's no class exists so you won't even have to skip class.

Oh, and a nice rental car with a gun under the front seat.

KU already pushing back hard. This is going to be nasty.

https://247sports.com/college/kansas...136040848/Amp/
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    KU already pushing back hard.
    And why wouldn't they? After UNC proved that the cop on the beat is a paper tiger, they'd be dumb not to.

https://247sports.com/college/kansas...136040848/Amp/
    Unlike the unc cheating, I am starting to side with KU in this fight. This is not because they are innocent but rather because I want the NCAA to once again show how impotent they are at policing cheating.

After that, I would like some folks within the college and university system to come in and "blow-up" the whole structure and start over.

Roy taints every institution he touches.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    And why wouldn't they? After UNC proved that the cop on the beat is a paper tiger, they'd be dumb not to.
    I'm surprised they are fighting back as hard as they are. It seems to me that Kansas' allegations are more of a smoking gun than UNC's. The argument during the UNC scandal was to put the burden on the NCAA to decide whether or not the easy classes were a special benefit to athletes, or just an easy class that was available to everyone. UNC was able to blur that line enough that the NCAA decided it was too difficult to tell with certainty.

The things alleged against Kansas are pretty black and white. Either they have evidence that Kansas and/or Bill Self knew about the payments, or they don't. It's not a matter of whether it was against the rules or not, we all know it was, now it comes down to who knew and when.

Kansas fighting back this hard tells me they don't think the NCAA has enough evidence to prove anyone knew. But it sounds like some of the texts that were released earlier when this story broke are pretty damming.

I don't think the NCAA has waited this long to send the NOA without having some meat on the bone somewhere. We shall see.

Self’s quote from the article:

“Compelled to reassure member institutions and the general public that it can police its member institutions, the NCAA enforcement staff has responded in an unnecessarily aggressive manner”

Reading between the lines: the NCAA knows they screwed up by letting UNC-CHeat off the hook, and now they’re taking it out on someone else.