Page 1079 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 79579979102910691077107810791080108110891129117915792079 ... LastLast
Results 21,561 to 21,580 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

I lied. I’m not done for the day with just the category 3 awesome Hardywood Rum Barrel Pumpkin Farmhouse Ale. Feeling like dessert I reached for another JackieO’s. Black Falls. Imperial porter brewed with spice bush? I’m not big on porters, more of a stout guy. Conditioned on vanilla beans and aged in apple brandy barrels and bourbon barrels. 13.5% abv. A collaboration between JackieO’s and Burial. Brewed with North Carolina rye and Athens spicebush berries, then barrel aged for 17 months. It’s got oak, caramel, rye spice, sweetness from the brandy and a boozy bourbon chocolate finish. It is spectacular. I bought one each of 24 different JackieO’s and Zaftig beers, if I have a job and the money I’ll be driving back and spending another fortune on high abv unusual and awesome BBA beers from JackieO’s. This might be category 4

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    DBR Virtual Pub - 9/21/2019 - Septemberfest

Clawhammer - Highland Brewing - 5 % ABV - 25 IBU

Clear amber-orange in color. Smells like caramel and toasted malt.

The taste is sweet malt, caramel, honey, (almost reminds me some of Red Oak) beautifully balanced with some nice bitter hops.

Crisp with plenty of carbonation.

Very drinkable. I really like this beer. Fuse Category 2. I just haven't tasted enough Octoberfests yet to truly compare it, but this has to be a great one.
    Great balance to this beer, IM{sage-H}O
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

From Last night;

Genesis - Wicked Weed - Sour - 6.6 % ABV - 18 IBU - "brewed with over 200 pounds of mango, papaya, guava, and pineapple. Aged 6-12 months in a variation of white wine barrels"

Hazy Golden. Smells like white wine,

Really tastes like white wine - super dry. The sour is light. More wine than sour. I don't taste all that tropical stuff at all. If it's there I think it got dominated by the white wine, maybe some chardonnay.

Maybe not my favorite style. Fuse Category 1 for me. I think you'd be better off with something like this from Haw River, but just my one cent.

Virtual Pub Septemberfest— Hi-Wire Zirkusfest.

They are all starting to run together a bit now. That has always been a trend for me with Oktoberfests. Similar amber color to most of the others. Similar flavor profile. Fits in somewhere between Sam and Clawhammer. A good beer, but nothing terribly distinctive.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    I lied. I’m not done for the day with just the category 3 awesome Hardywood Rum Barrel Pumpkin Farmhouse Ale. Feeling like dessert I reached for another JackieO’s. Black Falls. Imperial porter brewed with spice bush? I’m not big on porters, more of a stout guy. Conditioned on vanilla beans and aged in apple brandy barrels and bourbon barrels. 13.5% abv. A collaboration between JackieO’s and Burial. Brewed with North Carolina rye and Athens spicebush berries, then barrel aged for 17 months. It’s got oak, caramel, rye spice, sweetness from the brandy and a boozy bourbon chocolate finish. It is spectacular. I bought one each of 24 different JackieO’s and Zaftig beers, if I have a job and the money I’ll be driving back and spending another fortune on high abv unusual and awesome BBA beers from JackieO’s. This might be category 4
    Today I learned there is something called an Athens spicebush whose berries can contribute to beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    They are all starting to run together a bit now. That has always been a trend for me with Oktoberfests. Similar amber color to most of the others. Similar flavor profile. Fits in somewhere between Sam and Clawhammer. A good beer, but nothing terribly distinctive.
    This to me was the fascinating challenge when you selected Octoberfests. Ahead of a month ago, I would have told you “they all taste the same”.

I’ve had a half dozen different Octoberfests before today, with a bunch lined up for today.

I agree this is a difficult style to really get a lot of differences. That said, there are some differences more easily perceived, like colour, where the flavours are super similar.

I haven’t had them today (yet), there were some interesting character in Foothills and Victory that were reminiscent of a Fat Tire sharpness that I felt was both unusual and distinct.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    This to me was the fascinating challenge when you selected Octoberfests. Ahead of a month ago, I would have told you “they all taste the same”.

I’ve had a half dozen different Octoberfests before today, with a bunch lined up for today.

I agree this is a difficult style to really get a lot of differences. That said, there are some differences more easily perceived, like colour, where the flavours are super similar.

I haven’t had them today (yet), there were some interesting character in Foothills and Victory that were reminiscent of a Fat Tire sharpness that I felt was both unusual and distinct.
    Foothills is the one I could most like pick out of a lineup. Darker and more malty.

Oktoberfest 2019 - Sierra Nevada collaboration with Bitburger Brewery - 6% ABV - 22 IBU

Pour - Brown, Orange, Clear with thin quickly dissipating bubbly head. Caramel malt on nose.

The taste is well, good. It's malty, some caramel, but more wheat bread, nutty, and then nicely balanced with a nice bitter, light hoppy finish.

This is a good beer. Fuse Category 2. I still like the Clawhammer better, but I'd drink plenty more of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I know it’s cliche, but it’s also the seasonal brew on tap in our golf clubhouse. And the brewer and patriot makes a quality German lager. A brighter orange than the others, it strikes me as a little more sweet and less hoppy than some of the others. I only had one pint (not two or working on three). For nationwide distribution, though, this is quite a good beer.

I see what you did there .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    LOL. You and killerleft.

Today I learned there is something called an Athens spicebush whose berries can contribute to beer.
    Who knew? Next time I visit Athens with my sister I plan on sampling, maybe even stealing, a spice bush with berries.

Round 3, Sierra Nevada 2019 collab and Victory

Other than the SN head being spectacular, my eyes cant tell a discernable colour difference. Copper all the way down.

Victory is probably my least favorite- blind tasting I’d probably guess it was Fat Tire.
    Maybe not a bad thing but not how I’d like an Octoberfest to taste.

The SN lacks the biting sharpness of Victory, but otherwise tastes fairly similarly.

I thought the same thing and agree with this. I haven't had many Octoberfests in the last decade or so and I looked upon this as a great opportunity to broaden my horizons/expand my knowledge/challenge my taste buds and, read the reviews so far, I have learned a bunch. We had 3 Octoberfests at our tailgate today and learned even more and were able to separate them to some degree WRT tastes and quality. My regret now is that I didn't buy a couple of the Germans to compare and/or look a bit longer at our son's local craft beer shop/convenience store (really-I'm not kidding) for some of the others on beeradvocate's top 100 list.

For those keeping score at home, my present ranking seems to be:

6. Victory. Won’t buy again.
    5. Duck Rabbit. Also not planning any future purchases.
    4. Sierra Nevada. Will be different next year.
    3. Hofbrau
    2. Ayinger
    1. Clawhammer

Still have AMB, Foothills, and Sam Adams on deck.
    Will the remaining beer earn a coach’s decision DNP, or have a shot at shuffling the rankings above?

I did pick up the new BBA Sexual Chocolate from Foothills today thanks to T-Will's heads up. They're $20 a bottle.

If anybody wants to claim one for trade, I'll save it for you. It is an imperial stout with coffee. Devildeacs have claimed 2 bottles, but I have a few more.

Great call on the Oktoberfest/Septemberfest in advance Tripping Bill! I really enjoy them and fuse's article confirms they are perfect for September. Thanks for hosting!

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I did pick up the new BBA Sexual Chocolate from Foothills today thanks to T-Will's heads up. They're $20 a bottle.

If anybody wants to claim one for trade, I'll save it for you. It is an imperial stout with coffee. Devildeacs have claimed 2 bottles, but I have a few more.

Great call on the Oktoberfest/Septemberfest in advance Tripping Bill! I really enjoy them and fuse's article confirms they are perfect for September. Thanks for hosting!
    I'll second this, even though I've done no reviews yet and we're about to start consuming some of our son's "cellared" brews, none of which are Septemberfests .

Virtual Pub Septemberfest— Southern Pines

Last one. SoPines pours the second darkest, behind Foothills. A pretty copper color. The second largest head, behind Deep River. The smoothest drinking of the bunch. A little bitterness at the end. Might be favorite, very close to Deep River.

What better to start with than:

Franz-Rheingeist Brewery

C'mon, ya can't get much more German than the beer and brewery names.

Poured from a 12 ounce can into large wine glasses. Color was light amber with a generous off-white head. Nose of toasted wheat bread and tastes of light brown sugar, toasted bread and herbal European hops. IBUs at 20 and ABV at 5.4%. Solid starter to pair with some chips and a game of corn hole. Fuse Cat 2.

From 11/1/16:

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Clawhammer-Highlands Brewing

Disclaimer-I don't drink many Oktoberfest biers. Hell, I'm not even sure I spelled Octoberfest or beer correctly .

This is a good entry in another crowded house of beers. The 12 ounce bottle was part of my October (D'oh!) Beer Club 4 pack. Pour was a copper-amber with a modest, creamy head. Nose of earthy hops and caramel and tastes of toasted wheat bread, light brown sugar and fall flowers. I'll guess IBUs of 20 and the ABV was on the label at 5%. I shared the bottle with our younger daughter. Very palate-pleasing and sessionable and would make a fine pairing with grilled fare (brats!) and some warm German potato salad.
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Munsterfest-3 Floyds Brewing

"Es ist nicht normal.”

I dunno, seemed fairly typical for the style. Poured from a bomber and shared with our younger daughter, the hue was copper-amber, the head tan and creamy, the nose honey and earthy and the tastes were toast, light brown sugar and a bit herbal. Interesting observations as I'd describe it as a bit less sweet than fuse did above but our daughter liked the Clawhammer better as she thought it was smoother. I liked Munsterfest a tad better as I thought it had a bit more body/fullness than the Clawhammer but I really appreciated both brews. IBUs here listed at 30 and the ABV is 6%. I'd serve with the same fare as any Oktoberfest. Some whole wheat crackers and Gouda cheese would be tasty, too.
    From this afternoon:

Munsterfest-Three Floyds Brewing

An interesting one to find in the archives, especially in November.

Pretty similar review to 3 years ago but with no Clawhammer to compare. Shoulda bought one at Bottle Revolution last week for that purpose but figured we might get 3-4 NC reviews so I passed.

I thought this had a bit more body and maltiness than Franz and was a bit more amber. Nice pairing with burgers and dogs. Fuse Cat 2.

Final entry of the night:

Oktoberfest-Great Lakes Brewing Company

Over-rated: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap

This can't possibly be the #3 Octoberfest on the beeradvocate top 100 but it is.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into the wine glasses we used for tailgate and appeared the darkest of the 3 we sampled but only a medium amber. Pleasant malty/grainy nose with toasted wheat bread, light caramel, earthy hops and a smooth mouthfeel. IBUs were 20 and the ABV was 6.4%. Nice pairing with our burgers, wieners and a chocolate chip and a macadamia white chocolate chunk cookie.