Page 45 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast
    Yeah I think it’s almost impossible for a big to be projected as a lottery pick unless he can shoot threes and defend in space. We just saw Bol Bol go from top-5 to the middle of the second round. Carey is obviously a different type of player but nobody values low post bigs anymore. I think he can still be a beast for us though, there aren’t that many guys who can match up with that size.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke expects really big things from Moore this season. He's an elite run-jump athlete, much closer to Winslow than to Jones. Moore might be the best NBA prospect on the team. I would be stunned to see him back next season.

Carey? Remember he sprained an ankle late last season and missed the high-profile all-star games. I think that explains much--if not all-of his drop. A reclass or two also bumped him down a bit. Duke needs to surround him with shooters but the options are there.
    That's the most exciting post of the summer! I thought that the upside for Moore was freshman Battier. High end glue guy. Good, not great athleticism. Winner. Sounds like all that and more. Sophomore Battier?? I also really liked hearing that he can shoot FTs. Absent Tatum, our highly ranked Frosh have had some adventures at the line.

It’s a really unique roster this year. Hard to see who gets left out of the rotation. The senior captains bring experience and toughness and will definitely play. I expect OConnell to make that junior year leap after getting significant playing time last year. Goldwire will get his backup pg minutes. I guess it’s most likely Stanley and Baker but they both bring elite skillsets - athleticism and shooting. Don’t want to start a minutes debate here but the projections on Moore and Hurt just highlight how crowded and deep our talent is this year.

This is the year!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    It’s a really unique roster this year. Hard to see who gets left out of the rotation. The senior captains bring experience and toughness and will definitely play. I expect OConnell to make that junior year leap after getting significant playing time last year. Goldwire will get his backup pg minutes. I guess it’s most likely Stanley and Baker but they both bring elite skillsets - athleticism and shooting. Don’t want to start a minutes debate here but the projections on Moore and Hurt just highlight how crowded and deep our talent is this year.
    10 recruited players for a 10 man rotation! Tre gets 35 minutes a game. Leaves 165 for the other 9, who each get just over 18 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Walker Kessler will be on an official visit to Duke this weekend.
    Actually checked out of the Washington Duke Inn this morning, the whole staff was in the lobby. Thought about saying hello, then Kessler and his parents came in. Dude is really tall, towered over Javin whom I’m assuming was hosting.

For those that follow such things, Evan Daniels has logged a Crystal Ball pick for Henry Coleman III to Duke. Daniels tends to be pretty accurate with these predictions.

Official Visit Alert: DJ Steward

According to Evan Daniels and Jake Weingarten, DJ Steward flew down to Durham last night (and good thing, because there were some nasty storms rolling through Chicago overnight) and will be on campus for an official visit this weekend.

Steward is a 6'3" guard known for his shooting and can play point or off the ball. He seems to be more of a scoring guard with excellent touch. Steward attends Whitney Young High School, a magnet school with several well-known alums, including Jahlil Okafor. Steward is being pursued by Louisville, Texas, and others. He seems to have a lot of interest in Duke and the feeling is mutual.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    According to Evan Daniels and Jake Weingarten, DJ Steward flew down to Durham last night (and good thing, because there were some nasty storms rolling through Chicago overnight) and will be on campus for an official visit this weekend.

Steward is a 6'3" guard known for his shooting and can play point or off the ball. He seems to be more of a scoring guard with excellent touch. Steward attends Whitney Young High School, a magnet school with several well-known alums, including Jahlil Okafor. Steward is being pursued by Louisville, Texas, and others. He seems to have a lot of interest in Duke and the feeling is mutual.

Chicago kid? check
    Same school as Jahlil? check
    Lights out shooter? check
    Need for a 2 next year? check

I mean, this kid has 'Duke' written all over him.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Recruitment Reset

As things heat up with recruitment for the Class of 2020, I wanted to pause and see where the roster stands for 2020-21. Here's my attempt to make sense of the current offers and team, sort of a thinking-out-loud exercise, if you will.

Capture.JPG

Now the big question relates to a couple of unknowns.

First, will Cassius Stanley or Wendell Moore be on campus in 2020-21. My gut tells me no, although those situations can change over the course of a season (see Jones, Tre). If either or both remain on the roster in 2020-21, I expect that they will start for the team. And I would be delighted about that. O'Connell and Baker could be a great, experienced, "Shake and Bake" combo that provides some needed shooting on the wings.

The other unknown up there is Ziaire Williams, the 6'7" SF from California. He's an ideal compliment to Jalen Johnson at the forward spot as a long and athletic shooter. I expect he would slot in at starting SF were he to commit.

The big question mark, to me, is who from the Class of 2021 could be reclass. The big name to watch is Jonathan Kuminga. He's the consensus #1 player in the current class of juniors as a do-it-all wing. Like Ziaire Williams, he could easily slide in as a starting wing and may even compliment Williams. Having all three of Kuminga, Z. Williams, and Johnson on the floor presents some intriguing offensive and defensive possibilities. Kumings seems to hold interest in Duke, if the Crystal Ball is to be believed. It is a situation worth watching.

Wow, we really have virtually nothing in the cupboard in terms of upperclassmen.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    Wow, we really have virtually nothing in the cupboard in terms of upperclassmen.
    I've said this earlier but I really think Duke could bring in seven or eight players in this class.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I've said this earlier but I really think Duke could bring in seven or eight players in this class.
    J. Johnson
    J. Roach
    H. Coleman
    M. Williams
    W. Kessler
    D. Steward
    Z. Williams, and/or
    J. Kuminga (reclass)

There's your 7 and/or 8.

Decision Day: Henry Coleman III will call it on September 27th

Via his twitter account, Henry Coleman III announced that he will be announcing his college decision on Friday, September 27th at 3:30 p.m. at his high school.

Quote Originally Posted by devilnfla View Post
    J. Johnson
    J. Roach
    H. Coleman
    M. Williams
    W. Kessler
    D. Steward
    Z. Williams, and/or
    J. Kuminga (reclass)

There's your 7 and/or 8.
    I think/hope that's what it'll end up being. Kuminga instead of Z. Williams.

If that does happen hopefully it'll also mean Z. Williams stays on the west coast instead of Orange County Community College.

Via his twitter account, Henry Coleman III announced that he will be announcing his college decision on Friday, September 27th at 3:30 p.m. at his high school.
    Look, we all know the Crystal Ball on 247 is not perfect... Reid Travis anyone??... but it currently stands at 100% toward Duke. Among those making picks is Evan Daniels, who is 247's top recruiting analyst with a hit rate of better than 94% on his picks.

That said, he just had his visit to Va Tech over the weekend. This appears to be an All-ACC race of Duke against Va Tech. Coleman's dad played football at Va Tech. Perhaps the weekend visit pulled Va Tech into the lead or maybe it confirmed that Duke is where Coleman wants to be. We will know in a couple weeks.

-Jason "I am sure Va Tech is talking about him being a star there... while he would likely be a role player at Duke (maybe a star in later years). I'm always impressed by kids who chose the more difficult path and want to fight for success" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

With our expected mass frontcourt exodus, Coleman could conceivably start at the 4 as a freshman. Or at the very least see meaningful minutes. And compete for ACC and national championships. And play on TV every night under the GOAT. That should trump anything VA Tech can conjure up.

With our expected mass frontcourt exodus, Coleman could conceivably start at the 4 as a freshman. Or at the very least see meaningful minutes. And compete for ACC and national championships. And play on TV every night under the GOAT. That should trump anything VA Tech can conjure up.
    Hey Henry, stay in your home state, be a Hokie like you've always wanted and be the man instead of being just another cog in Duke's one-and-done machine, where you'll be recruited over and always be an afterthought to the next class of lottery picks.

I'm pretty sure that's in the neighborhood of what VT is conjuring up.

I see Coleman and Steward and M Williams as huge recruits in this class. Players ranked in that 30-50 range who are quality ACC starters, maybe even all-ACC caliber, but who are not heading for the NBA exit after one year. If I could wave my magic wand, these types of players would be the backbone of the program with 1-2 one-and-dones sprinkled in each year. I know recruiting that mix is easier said than done. Top 50 players want to come into a situation where they get court time right away. I also understand M Williams may now be tracking as a potential oad.

Does this bode well for us with the football team playing VA Tech that night? Would he choose Duke and then dare be at the game??

I see Coleman and Steward and M Williams as huge recruits in this class. Players ranked in that 30-50 range who are quality ACC starters, maybe even all-ACC caliber, but who are not heading for the NBA exit after one year. If I could wave my magic wand, these types of players would be the backbone of the program with 1-2 one-and-dones sprinkled in each year. I know recruiting that mix is easier said than done. Top 50 players want to come into a situation where they get court time right away. I also understand M Williams may now be tracking as a potential oad.
    Isn't the program already filled with a backbone of quality multi-year players? The team this upcoming season is going to feature two seniors in Javin DeLaurier and Jack White and two juniors in Jordan Goldwire and Alex O'Connell that have all played a substantial roles on the team the past two seasons. Hopefully, Joey Baker joins that group this year as a solid bench contributor. Coleman, Steward, and M. Williams would be excellent additions and help fill specific and long-term needs for this team.