Page 1073 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 73573973102310631071107210731074107510831123117315732073 ... LastLast
Results 21,441 to 21,460 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

From late, late last PM:

Oakspire-New Belgium and Knob Creek collaboration

Enjoy by:
    25270 03MAR19
    181002051T0124

A trader yesterday from accfanfrom1970-thanks!

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass. Looked a bit more amber than a Fat Tire. Head was modest and creamy. Lots of wood and booze upfront, followed by toffee, vanilla, smooth booze, mild earthy hops and wood. I'll guess IBUs of 30 (see below), thinking it's a base amber ale. The ABV is hefty at 9%. True BBA is better and this was a bit thin but still very good, earning a Cat 2. Certainly worth a try as a single or as a 4 or 6 member package. Some other info:

"HOPS-Nugget, HBC 472

MALTS-Pale, Munich, Caramel 80, Rye, Roasted Barley

Special Processing-Bourbon soaked oak spirals and char from more than 4,000 used Knob Creek bourbon barrels" ()
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Who doesn’t love a collection of brewer horror stories featuring some NC breweries?

https://daily.sevenfifty.com/horror-...lived-to-tell/

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Who doesn’t love a collection of brewer horror stories featuring some NC breweries?

https://daily.sevenfifty.com/horror-...lived-to-tell/
    Funny stuff to start the week.

Sporks to the first poster to find the old Dogfish Head story when they tried every trick they knew to try and salvage $250K (? more) worth of 120 Minute IPA a number of years ago. None worked.

20.gif20.gif

Joymongers Chocolate Raspberry Stout

An end-the-weekend beer, from the 32-ounce crowler I brought home on Wednesday. It smells and tastes just like raspberry dark chocolate bars you can buy at the store. Not high-gravity at all; only 5.0% ABV. So, for as dark as the beer looks, it's fizzier and thinner than one would expect. But still a very good summer dessert beer. Cat 2.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Beer name of the day?

Spelt Wrong-Morgan Ridge Railwalk Brewery & Eatery

For all the DBR grammarians, of course.

Hey, somebody (sorta) stole Tripping William's idea:

https://www.smv.org/upcoming-events/...septembrewfest

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hey, somebody (sorta) stole Tripping William's idea:

https://www.smv.org/upcoming-events/...septembrewfest

I'll be demanding royalties, treble damages, and attorneys' fees. The scoundrels . . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

From 6/10/17:

Yet another reason to keep reading/posting on Ymm, Beer.

Sea Quench-Dogfish Head

I'm just going to copy/paste how this ale was created:

"SeaQuench Ale is our session sour quencher made with lime peel, black lime and sea salt. It’s a citrusy-tart union of three German styles of beer blissfully brewed into one. We begin by brewing a straightforward Kolsch with lots of wheat and Munich Malt, then we brew a salty Gose with black limes, coriander and our sea salt. We follow it all up with a citrusy-tart Berlinerweiss made with lime juice and lime peel. All three beers are then blended together in the fermentation tank to create this German hybrid."

Exercising no restraint yesterday, I picked up a 6er of this last PM and shared a can with younger daughter and her husband with our Chinese entrees last PM. Mrs. dd was quite content with a large glass of water. Pour was a pale straw color with a fizzy head whose endurance was reminiscent of Rick Pitino restaurant stories. Smells like unsweetened limeade and tasted like a spiced, puckery, salty and peppery Daquiri-light. IBUs of 10 and ABV was 4.9%. Quite enjoyable and refreshing beer "cocktail" given the blending of 3 different styles of brews.

I also chortled at another paragraph describing the beer:

"And, releasing just in time for the 500th anniversary of the Reinheitsgebot - aka the “German Beer Purity Law” that says it’s illegal to brew with anything other than water, barley, and hops - SeaQuench Ale both commemorates (and disintegrates) this art-censorship law."

Prosit!
    From last PM;

Sea Quench-Dogfish Head Craft Ales

On bottom of 12 ounce can (from memory):
    Brewed on
    03/24/19

Trader from August West at tailgate from his mixed 12 pack of DFH brews. Thanks!!

I don't think anything has changed in 2 years. Still a very easy-drinking summer sipper and thirst quencher that has suffered little if any during its almost 6 months of captivity in its aluminum prison.

Duck Rabbit Hoppy Bunny ABA

Only disappointing thing about this beer was seeing a best by 5/19 notch on the label.

Inky black, no head.

A lovely pine nose.

Stone popularized the “Cascadian Dark IPA” and Victory was offering Yakima Glory a decade(?) ago.

Pretty sure this Duck Rabbit offering is all that remains.

The dark malts are a brilliant offset to the hops. It’s a shame there are not more dark IPAs (or American Black Ales) on the market.

Nightmare on Brett - Cherry - Dark Sour Ale aged in Leopold Bros Whiskey Barrels with Colorodo Sour Montmorency Cherries -Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project - 9.666 % ABV -

This is extremely important if you drink this beer - they told me when I bought it at Stella and they were right: Pour it but let it warm for 5 minutes first. That really lets all the flavors come through. (Of course I tried it refrigerator cold as soon as I poured, but they were right - much much better after just 5 minutes).

Pour - So dark brown it's black opaque with a slight purple tint. Very thin mocha colored head which dies to nothing quickly.

Aroma - Sour cherries, Sour Balsamic Vinegar, and Earthy Oak. Strong, outstanding nose.

Taste - Beautifully complex. Some sweet dark cherry and light chocolate first, light whisky mellows, SO much barrel-oak wood flavor, Vanilla, light caramel malt, and then the finish is crazy tart sour cherry. The sour will pucker your mouth bigtime, but you will just love it and want more. It's a pleasing sour sensation. And it gets even better as you drink more and appreciate more.

Feel - medium to light body, dry, light but adequate carbonation. Very drinkable given how sour it is.

Overall - It's so good drinking it is almost sexual. Yes I said that so you can make fun of this post. It's bold, it's extreme tart sour like a sour man's sour. But the oaky complexity works REALLY well with these cherries. Beautiful balance. It's an amazing beer, but you have to like sours. I love them. Very very well done. Pretty good one to try if you want to try a serious Crooked Stave Sour. Damn that hit the spot. Oh yeah, fuse category 3. (and I might have another bottle or 2 for trading/sharing)
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 09-09-2019 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Nightmare on Brett - Cherry - Dark Sour Ale aged in Leopold Bros Whiskey Barrels with Colorodo Sour Montmorency Cherries -Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project - 9.666 % ABV -

This is extremely important if you drink this beer - they told me when I bought it at Stella and they were right: Pour it but let it warm for 5 minutes first. That really lets all the flavors come through. (Of course I tried it refrigerator cold as soon as I poured, but they were right - much much better after just 5 minutes).

Pour - So dark brown it's black opaque with a slight purple tint. Very thin mocha colored head which dies to nothing quickly.

Aroma - Sour cherries, Sour Balsamic Vinegar, and Earthy Oak. Strong, outstanding nose.

Taste - Beautifully complex. Some sweet dark cherry and light chocolate first, light whisky mellows, SO much barrel-oak wood flavor, Vanilla, light caramel malt, and then the finish is crazy tart sour cherry. The sour will pucker your mouth bigtime, but you will just love it and want more. It's a pleasing sour sensation. And it gets even better as you drink more and appreciate more.

Feel - medium to light body, dry, light but adequate carbonation. Very drinkable given how sour it is.

Overall - It's so good drinking it is almost sexual. Yes I said that so you can make fun of this post. It's bold, it's extreme tart sour like a sour man's sour. But the oaky complexity works REALLY well with these cherries. Beautiful balance. It's an amazing beer, but you have to like sours. I love them. Very very well done. Pretty good one to try if you want to try a serious Crooked Stave Sour. Damn that hit the spot. Oh yeah, fuse category 3. (and I might have another bottle or 2 for trading/sharing)
    Reads amazing. I *might* have some trading material available. How's that for Hubris?

Hidden Springs Ale Works Tropic Thunder
    Berliner Weiss with strawberry, pineapple, papaya, and mango

Smells like strawberry and papaya.

Clear gold in the glass.

Whoa, a fruit explosion in your mouth!
    Layers of tart fruit- a hint of pineapple, a bit of mellow mango and papaya, largely dominated by strawberry.

Maybe not quite as awesome as Bears on a Rampage, an excellent beer on its own.

Grateful for a delivery from my Florida source.

Cheers! 🍻
    Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Located in Orlando. I've had some Hidden Springs. In fact, I had a can of Tropic Thunder my beer-trading buddy gave me last week in my fridge. Since Fuse reviewed it I figured I should as well.

Last night, I poured from a 16oz can with a canned by date of 6/24/2019 into a Lowenbrau stange glass. Nice 2-inch layer of foam and bright gold color. Smells fruity. Pineapple being the primary scent.

Definitely a fruit explosion on first drink. Mango and strawberry prominent early. Followed by a papaya taste that lingers. Didn't get much pineapple at first but it seemed to be the background tartness flavor as I continued to sip.

Overall, very nice berliner. Nice level of tart. Not overpowering but leaves a bit of pucker and makes you what to take another sip. Fruitiness was surprisingly balanced. When a beer has four fruits listed I frequently find that the fruit flavor ends up being a tasty melange. I like that you could independently taste each of the fruit flavors while drinking.

Hidden Springs specializes in IPAs and fruity berliner weisses. I find that they generally do them quite well. Fuse should tell his FL beer source to be on the lookout for Freaky Deaky Dutch as winter approaches. It is a cranberry, maple, chipotle berliner weisse. I generally don't like chili pepper in beer (like fuse and DD) but I really liked this beer and found the chipotle subtle and well done. I think I reviewed it one here last year. If not, I will try to this year.
    Tropic Thunder-Hidden Springs Ale Works

Pint can from same litter as tbyers11's can/review above and included in recent multi-player deal from fuse. Thanks!

Not much to add to the above except I believe I'm the odd man out here as my sniffing and sipping impressions were more subdued/subtle than the 2 gentlemen above. Strawberry was first on the nose and palate, followed by pineapple and some tropical fruits and more tart/sour than fruity. I'm not sure I'd have guessed mango and papaya if a blind tasting were done. I'll blame the Sea Quench I sipped an hour earlier for some palate distortion. Guessing IBUs about 10 and the ABV was 5.5%. Still a very good Berliner Weisse that I'd certainly sip again and recommend to visitors to Florida and certainly grateful for its inclusion in my package a couple weeks ago. Based on DBR "recency bias," I enjoyed Mother Earth's Lemon Blueberry and Mojito Berliner Weisses a bit more than this one. Sounds like fuse and tbyers11 would put this high Cat 2 and I'd put more middle of the tier.

Not beer, but just finished up a tour of Bold Rock Hard Cider in Mills River (for work). They have had an IPA cider for a while (wife's favorite), but on the tour, I spotted Peach IPA and a Brut IPA bottles. Seems neat. Wonder how long it takes them to figure out how to make a "New England IPA cider".

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Not beer, but just finished up a tour of Bold Rock Hard Cider in Mills River (for work). They have had an IPA cider for a while (wife's favorite), but on the tour, I spotted Peach IPA and a Brut IPA bottles. Seems neat. Wonder how long it takes them to figure out how to make a "New England IPA cider".
    Or to start barrel-aging ciders...

Or to start barrel-aging ciders...
    I’m pretty sure Crispin and others have that figured out already. 😂

I’m pretty sure Crispin and others have that figured out already. 😂
    Link? Reviews/posts?

Oh, wait, there's no Ymm, Cider thread. Yet...

https://www.lacolombehardcoldbrew.com/

#rallylikeagrownup 🤔🤔🤔

A collabeeration with LaCombe and Miller Lite.

Coffee is for Closers!

Link? Reviews/posts?

Oh, wait, there's no Ymm, Cider thread. Yet...
    https://gearpatrol.com/2014/09/05/cider-comes-age-oak/

https://www.ciderculture.com/four-cideries-paving-way-barrel-aged-ciders/

Crispin’s website seems to indicate a truncated portfolio compared to my memory. I’m certain I’ve had a few barrel aged ciders.

https://www.lacolombehardcoldbrew.com/

#rallylikeagrownup 🤔🤔🤔

A collabeeration with LaCombe and Miller Lite.

Coffee is for Closers!

"Second prize is a set of Steak Knives..."

https://gearpatrol.com/2014/09/05/cider-comes-age-oak/

https://www.ciderculture.com/four-ci...l-aged-ciders/

Crispin’s website seems to indicate a truncated portfolio compared to my memory. I’m certain I’ve had a few barrel aged ciders.
    Yea, really no surprise. I'm not much of a cider drinker but aging it in barrels that previously contained other spirits certainly makes sense.

Maybeeeeeee, someone should think about aging cider in beer barrels...