Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Top Gun was my all time favorite childhood movie just ahead of Red Dawn and Gremlins. I wanted to become a fight pilot in the Air Force because of this movie. Why not Navy? Because only idiots take off in the middle of the ocean with only a moving football field to land on. There are people in the military that I respect the heck out of (Navy Seals, Marines, Army Rangers, etc). Naval aviators? They are just about the dumbest people on the face of the planet. I don't care how good you are...their mamas had to have dropped them on their heads as babies. No one in their right mind does what they do.

Of course, by the time I was old enough to go off to college/enlist, the Gulf War happened and I realized that the military wasn't just fun war games and went off to State to study Aerospace Engineering.
    Interesting, my brother-in-law went to State for Aerospace Engineering. He works on drone projects at a base in Maryland. Patuxent River NAS I think. What year did you graduate?

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Interesting, my brother-in-law went to State for Aerospace Engineering. He works on drone projects at a base in Maryland. Patuxent River NAS I think. What year did you graduate?
    97 <- check the name, but from Computer Science/Engineering. I took one look at Fluid Dynamics and ran for a life of 1s and 0s.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Setting aside Mission Impossible (all of which I enjoyed), I thought the trailer was great other than the obvious.

Google came to my rescue- the oldest Navy pilot retired at 54.
    Cruise is 56.
    This allowed me to return to some semblance of willing suspension of disbelief and instead of mocking it endlessly, I am sure I’ll enjoy it.
    The trailer got me pumped and I liked it overall (the camera work looked great) but it also made me a little bit wary with all the familiar scenes. Hopefully this is an actual sequel and not just a remake / homage / ripoff of the original movie. I personally don't want to watch The Top Gun Awakens :-)

I'm concerned that this new film won't be as good as Cats.

Definitely looking forward to the new movie. Hope it does the original justice.

I grew up a Navy brat, was good at math and science. By the time I got out of high school, I was tired of moving all over, etc and never even considered the military...I've often thought that I should have at least tried to fly. I would have been nuts enough to land a plan on a boat back then...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I would have been nuts enough to land a plan on a boat back then...
    I served 30 years in the Navy so I cannot let this go...it is not a boat it is a ship!

To fully appreciate aircraft carrier flight operations, one needs to watch them during the day followed by watching them at night.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I served 30 years in the Navy so I cannot let this go...it is not a boat it is a ship!
    I know that, but growing up in SC with a large air force and naval base one had to pick sides. I picked the Air Force, which is firmly in the boat camp

Though, now that I think of it there are some people crazier than naval aviators, the crew of our nuclear submarines. Packed in like sardines on an attack boat. A little more space on the boomers, but staying underwater for months at a time. It's insane in the way only a naval aviator would understand.

I did get the joy of going on a Tiger Cruise aboard the USS Samuel Eliot Morison (FFG-13) (now serving in the Turkish Navy) when I was 12...sick as a dog for three days. It was still awesome when they went to flank speed to full stop, fired off some .50 cals at floating boxes and ran the missiles up and down the rails. That ship was awesome, and it was one of the smaller in the fleet. I was never so glad to get back on DRY LAND!

The Navy is just not for me.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I hope this means we'll get another Hot Shots! movie.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

To fully appreciate aircraft carrier flight operations, one needs to watch them during the day followed by watching them at night.
    Sorry about that Bob, I used the term 'boat' because Packman was joking about landing a plane on a boat earlier. Did not mean to disrespect, I usually use the term ship.

To make up for it, here's my latests Navy story. Went to a funeral in Groton, Ct. last month, met my parents there. The USS Nautilus is there basically as a floating museum. We go with my dad who tells us that at one time he was hanging off the side of that sub on a rope welding damage to the side of the sub. Me, my brother and sister are leaning over the railing to see if we can see his handiwork. Going there with my Dad (he met my Mom when stationed there) was a good day.

I know that, but growing up in SC with a large air force and naval base one had to pick sides. I picked the Air Force, which is firmly in the boat camp

Though, now that I think of it there are some people crazier than naval aviators, the crew of our nuclear submarines. Packed in like sardines on an attack boat. A little more space on the boomers, but staying underwater for months at a time. It's insane in the way only a naval aviator would understand.

I did get the joy of going on a Tiger Cruise aboard the USS Samuel Eliot Morison (FFG-13) (now serving in the Turkish Navy) when I was 12...sick as a dog for three days. It was still awesome when they went to flank speed to full stop, fired off some .50 cals at floating boxes and ran the missiles up and down the rails. That ship was awesome, and it was one of the smaller in the fleet. I was never so glad to get back on DRY LAND!

So this video didn't convince you?

97 <- check the name, but from Computer Science/Engineering. I took one look at Fluid Dynamics and ran for a life of 1s and 0s.
    They both give me the Willie's, so I tip my hat two you both.

If I slip up an call it a boat, blame my nephew as he is on the USS Illinois and subs are called boats. Apparently, there is a lot of crazy in my family. (And I wouldn't change a single one of them.)

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I'm concerned that this new film won't be as good as Cats.
    Wooooh, Take my breath away! Sounds like you've lost that lovin' feelin', and need to get back into the danger zone!

I just hope it's as good as Thunder Cats. SNAAAARF!!

This is the eighties signing off....(for now)

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I hope this means we'll get another Hot Shots! movie.
    It's safe to say Charlie Sheen hasn't aged as well as Tom Cruise...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    But I'll bet he smoked and drank more than Cruise...

Hah. You’re probably not being generous enough with Sheen’s recreational activities...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Tiger blood ages you, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    But you have waited. It will be 34 years waiting for a sequel to Top Gun (1986).

To put that into perspective -- a very specific Tom Cruise perspective -- only 25 years separate The Hustler (1961) and The Color of Money (1986). Wall Street had a sequel 23 years later. TRON had its Legacy 28 years later. Even Star Wars went a mere 32 years between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens.

The only sequel I can think of with a longer wait (excluding animated sequels and follow-ups with entirely new casts) is Blade Runner: 35 years.
    I didnt expect tron to have a reboot.i liked it.i am a airshow nut. I take off work 2 or 3 times a year to go to airshows.i watched that trailer 15 times I may watch it 15 times more.🤪I'm excited.

Side note.was watching TV .I forgot it was taped from Dec 18. A NCAA comercial comes on.ncaa March 22 -24 .I'm going crazy .I look at my wife I say if Dukes there we are going again.she looks at me says .honey this is taped.smiling .that's not funny .anyways I feel the need.

I'm still waiting for that Citizen Kane reboot.

Of course this one will have Rosebud toys in Happy Meals.

Thank you for your service Bob!

In my line of work (validation engineer for sterile injectable drugs), we have a TON of contractors that are Navy retirees. I spent a good bit of time with them in Europe last year, and the remainder of the time has been spent in a stinky, hot, construction trailer behind our facility. They have made me feel like "one of the boys" and I've heard enough stories that I feel like I served with them!

Most of them were "bubble heads", but I was told not to hold that against them! 😂

Great group of guys to work with.

Also, my nephew just joined up. He is in San Diego right now, prepping to deploy to Japan. I've never been more proud.