Page 80 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182901301805801080 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    As an aside, the new acting secretary is widely viewed as more committed to deregulation than Acosta seemed to be. Democrats may come to rue their efforts to force Acosta out, because the replacement is even less in line with their policies than Acosta was.
    Geez, OPK, are you expecting politicians to be accountable and responsible for their actions?

I once saw a palmetto bug carry off a small dog.

Really, that might be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Geez, OPK, are you expecting politicians to be accountable and responsible for their actions?
    It would be refreshing if any of them thought long-term, instead of just to the next election cycle.

Oh, and flying cars. I want my friggin' flying car. We were promised these by the year 2000 and I am DISAPPOINTED. :-(

Oh, and flying cars. I want my friggin' flying car. We were promised these by the year 2000 and I am DISAPPOINTED. :-(
    Ruh-roh, Reoge Retson for President?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Ruh-roh, Reoge Retson for President?
    No. Jane, his wife.

Rosie for Secretary of the Interior!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Rosie for Secretary of the Interior!
    She'll clean that mess up!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'd settle for a robot that cleaned my house!

It would be refreshing if any of them thought long-term, instead of just to the next election cycle.

While we are on the subject, where is the jet-pack I was promised so many years ago?

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

Uhm, can we teach people how to drive properly on the ground first? Since we basically give drivers licenses away with minimal education and training, I hope I never witness a flying car. (Unless of course I am driving it!)

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    While we are on the subject, where is the jet-pack I was promised so many years ago?
    It's almost ready -- just waiting on the conversion to the metric system to finalize a few components.

Per Wikipedia, Iowa is 90.9% white. New Hampshire is 93.9% white.

My question isn't about why South Carolina matters. My question is why Iowa or New Hampshire matter. Talk about unrepresentative states having overwhelming influence in the race.
    I completely understand that. But it also should be pointed out that AFAM voters in SC have views which are VERY much out of step with the Demo base, e.g. on LGMTQ and abortion issues. As such, whom they back seems of very limited use in the long run. Interesting but unimportant.

As far as New Hamster mattering, I think I have been quite clear and consistent on this issue!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I completely understand that. But it also should be pointed out that AFAM voters in SC have views which are VERY much out of step with the Demo base, e.g. on LGMTQ and abortion issues. As such, whom they back seems of very limited use in the long run. Interesting but unimportant.

As far as New Hamster mattering, I think I have been quite clear and consistent on this issue!
    At the risk of looking stupid... Is "M" a thing? Or a typo?

Yes, I am hip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Yes, I am hip.
    typo sir, your hipness was never in question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Yes, I am hip.
    Gotta be a typo. The latest is LGBTQIA. https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...602-story.html

There's a guy on a local a.m. station here who is libertarian and has often expressed his support for gays, lesbians, and transgenders. A couple of months ago he went on a little tirade on his morning show in which he essentially said that he would agree to always support the LGBTQ agenda from henceforth provided "you stop adding letters!"

About 3 weeks ago I was in NYC for a gay wedding and I heard the pastor use "LGBTQIA." I chuckled a little bit under my breath as I remembered the plea of the morning radio show host I had heard just a few weeks previously. I also had no idea what the new letters stood for. Apparently, LGBTQIA stands for "lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or questioning, intersex, and asexual or allied."

I'm extremely supportive of the community, and it's difficult (even for me) to keep up!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    While that may have been a thing a while ago, it feels pretty outdated in an era of multiple 24-hour-a-day national news channels and especially the internet/social media news age. You don't get more small-time than the mayor of the 4th most populous city in Indiana and yet Mayor Pete has been a major figure in the Democratic race for a while now and we are still like 8 months from Iowa and New Hampshire. I mean, when was the last time an underfunded, not well-known candidate surprised in Iowa and changed the face of the race? 1976 with Jimmy Carter was 40+ years ago.

-Jason "no candidate can do it because it would be suicide, but someone needs to reform the nominating process to make it more national in scope... at least move the first primaries around so different states get them in different cycles" Evans
    I'll leave the problem to you of how under-funded candidates get a fair shake. I think the current system is more or less fair -- I am surprised by Buttigieg and also surprised that Beto hasn't shown much -- but neither will win the nomination.

I would say Obama's win in Iowa was a big deal. It was before Iowa had caucuses but JFK's win in West Virginia showed that a Catholic could potentially win in a mostly Protestant state.

On the Republican side, the last three winners were Huckabee, Santorum and Ted Cruz -- but at least they got a national airing.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I saw my first 2020 campaign gear on a civilian today. It was a Kamala Harris shirt on a young woman waiting in line with me at a lab. She was not employed by or a volunteer for the campaign. I'm in SE PA, in a district that is currently Democrat (due to redistricting in 2016) but was Republican. I'm borderline rural ag/Philly suburbs. A bit to the West a lot of Trump flags fly in yards slightly below or equal to American flags. Head East and you start running into 'hate has no home here' yard signs. I'm just north of the DE border but have yet to see any Biden stuff.

Forget which poster has done the yard sign survey in the past --- but this post is in the same spirit. Keeping tabs on the visible enthusiasm.

The only thing I have seen in South Florida, in my area that includes Deerfield Beach, Pompano Beach, Lighthouse Point and Fort Lauderdale is Trump items.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Gotta be a typo. The latest is LGBTQIA. https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...602-story.html

I'm extremely supportive of the community, and it's difficult (even for me) to keep up!
    I’m too old for this. Can I just use O for Other?

I’m supportive. But I’ve only got so much attention span at this point.

Thanks in advance. Or sorry in advance. Whatever.

I’m too old for this. Can I just use O for Other?

I’m supportive. But I’ve only got so much attention span at this point.

Thanks in advance. Or sorry in advance. Whatever.
    I'm with you. When they figure it out, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    ... LGBTQIA stands for "lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or questioning, intersex, and asexual or allied." ...
    Isn't there a letter missing? Do any of these letters/words fit folks who identify as "non-binary"? So maybe we should look to buy an "N" ... and now that there are some vowels to work with (I, A) perhaps an easier-to-pronounce acronym will form and gain currency.