Page 1000 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 50090095099099899910001001100210101050110015002000 ... LastLast
Results 19,981 to 20,000 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Captain Lawrence Soft Swerve IPA.

Gross.

May move this to the other beer thread after I finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post

Gross.

Holy cow...what a totally unworthy beer/post for this milestone.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post

Gross.

Shame because the online description reeks of potential.

Not sure I have had a true Captain Lawrence beer that I recall; I am sure I have had a few of their collaboration beers, which have been great.

Moscow Mule-Southern Pines Brewing Company

Not only an imperial Berliner Weisse but a really high octane one at 12% ABV (no typo) . I have had very few of the imperial versions of this style and never one with this ABV.

A vigorous pour from a pint can into a mug brought forth a golden-yellow elixir with a thin, off-white head. Stuff smelled like ginger ale/beer with lime, or a Moscow Mule cocktail based on the recipes I've read but never made or tasted the original cocktail version. Immediate ginger zing on the palate accompanying some mildly sweet but mostly sour freshly squeezed lime juice. The high ABV is barely perceptible, making this a high dangerous beverage as one could easily belt down a couple of these and not wake up for several hours. IBUs are 5. Another high quality offering from SPBC and worth the ~$18 for the 4 pack that I'm planning to share/trade.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

From 4/5/18:

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Blackbeard's Booty-Mother Earth Brewing

More local!

Hoppy blonde ale-an interesting brew.

Another 12 ounce can shared 3 ways last evening. Pour was pale yellow with a small, white head. Nose was not attractive and reminded us of stale, wet bread. Tastes were better but somewhat unusual for a blonde ale and consisted of lightly toasted white bread, flowers, light caramel and herbs. Amarillo and Chinook hops give a moderately bitter finish and I'll guess IBUs about 40 with the ABV at 4.9%. Would make a satisfactory pairing with BLT or grilled cheese and tomato sammiches. A bit disappointing for a Mother Earth Brew.
    From last PM:

Blackbeard's Booty-Mother Earth Brewing

Because (almost) everything/one deserves a second chance (lying, cheating "u"nc athletic bastards excepted, of course). Also, because I had little/no choice as this 12 ounce can was gifted to me this week for a birthday treat .

Canned
    07/27/18

Oh, my, more (possibly) stale beer .

This was certainly better than last year's tasting with a more attractive bouquet of aromas including some pine and resin. Impressions from the palate were improved, too, with some light orange and grapefruit rind flavors, some juiciness, a bit of pine and resin and hints of sweetness. A rather pleasant warm, spring/summer evening after dinner beer. Perhaps hoppy Belgian blondes are good after all...

Nightcap last PM:

St. Benedict's Breakfast-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

But, I could have had this for breakfast this AM .

"Coffee & Oatmeal Dubbel; Belgian-style dark ale brewed with coffee and oatmeal (and, on the back of label, organic cocoa nibs and rich dark chocolate)"

Two 8 ounce portions last PM sipped over 45 minutes from an oversized Ommegang tulip. Appearance was dark brown and slightly cloudy with a generous, foamy tan head that left a lot of Belgian lacing at the end of each portion. Coffee appears as the first aroma and is followed by milk chocolate and dark caramel. The flavors made their presence known in about the same order along with dark, dried fruits and enhanced by a smooth/silky mouthfeel and earthy/herbal hops. I'll guess IBUs around 30 with the stated ABV at 7.2%. Another outstanding Haw River product. I'll add this to Burial and Brewery Bhavana as being the leaders in the NC craft beer industry.

Tried a beer today I never thought I’d have seen- a gose made with tropical kool aid.

It was tastier than I expected.

Managed to have some Bissel Brothers and Lawson’s Finest Liquids as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Tried a beer today I never thought I’d have seen- a gose made with tropical kool aid.

It was tastier than I expected.

Managed to have some Bissel Brothers and Lawson’s Finest Liquids as well.
    Never heard of Bissel Brothers. Lawson's has a great rep, regularly putting brews on various beeradvocate top 100 lists of various styles.

Will you be taking a journey across upstate New Hampster to visit any breweries in upstate Vermont?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Never heard of Bissel Brothers. Lawson's has a great rep, regularly putting brews on various beeradvocate top 100 lists of various styles.

Will you be taking a journey across upstate New Hampster to visit any breweries in upstate Vermont?
    Likely will not make VT or NH; Bissel Bros is supposed to be one of the best new breweries in Maine/Portland- their Substance IPA is highly regarded and one of the beers sampled today.
    It was pretty tasty. I also had one of their pilsners and it was also good.

More Hawaii Beer

Playing catch-up:

(1) Kona Longboard Lager. Mrs. Tripping & I shared a 22-ounce bomber of this while chilling on Kailua Beach. But we had no Solo cups (or other drinkware), so we were uncouth, imbibing straight from the bottle. The beer was okay, but not as good as the Ola Ma’a reviewed upthread. And the scenery outpaced the beer ... by a lot.

(2) Kona Wailua Wheat. Also a shared bomber, but in our VRBO one afternoon. Brewed with passionfruit. Terrifically refreshing. Bright gold pour, off-white head. The citrus is subtle, but definitely present. I’d take this over the lager, hands-down.

(3) Big Island Golden Sabbath. Also a shared bomber, this time with dinner. In the running for Beer O’ The Trip. A Belgian style golden ale, brewed with local honey. Deep gold pour, with a medium-size white head. Notes of pink bubble gum, and some spice. The honey flavors smooth it out. Delicious.

(4) A visit to Maui Brewing’s location in Kailua. Great space. Had a four-pour flight of their all-year pineapple wheat (very refreshing), their seasonal DIPA (very good, but not a standout in a crowded field), brown ale (a very good brown, and I tend not to be impressed by Browns), and an imperial coconut porter (quite tasty, but higher gravity). I also had a quick taste of their Belgian white ale (think White Zombie, but better), and would have come home with a crowler of that, but their crowler machine was broken.

Some really good beer being made in this state.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Oarsman Ale-Bell's Brewery

Important code from bottom of can:

(buncha numbers) 04:57
    01/25/19 (another buncha numbers)

Shelf life-6 months so *not* a stale beer

Tart wheat ale

Birthday gift from office nurse last week

Poured with vigor from a 12 ounce can into a Sam Adams White Ale glass bought forth a slightly hazy, pale yellow liquid with a generous, fluffy head. Orange juice and tang dominated aromas while some more citrus, rind and mildly tart and sour tastes tantalized the tongue along with a bit of spice (coriander?). I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the ABV is a crushable 4%, suitable for porch-pounding and thirst-quenching after a lawn-mowing yesterday.

(Looks like 9 more posts to complete page #1000 )

Hopefully I get to Garden Grove Brewery tonight and try a couple more. One beer, one post?

This beer may have been reviewed above, but it's so good I'm tossing in my 1 cent.

Yep you guessed it-

Burial - Sixth Passing - DIPA - ABV - 8.2 %; 58 IBU; Double Dry Hopped with Complex Hops mixture - Strata, Sabro, Citra, and Simcoe "and blessed once more with a dose of cryo hops"

Just outstanding. I'd rate 4.5

You know it's outstanding as soon as you taste it. Super smooth from oats + lactose. Hoppy but not too bitter. People who don't like IPA's would love this. People who like IPA's will love this. Grapefruit kick (but a very good one), honeydew melon, light lemon. Clean light dank finish.

I got a 32 growler on draft at Stella. Get some.
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 06-23-2019 at 09:35 PM.

A flight of four Virginia brews I haven’t tried at our Carytown Mellowi Mushroom (they have 40 beers and ciders on tap).

Vasen Brewing - Richmond. Guava Otter.
    Reborn from their guava gose, its a sour ale with a lot of guava added. Nice tropical notes. Kind of refreshing on this hot day.
    Ardent Blind Tiger Pre-Prohibition Lager. Also Richmond. A collaboration with Final Gravity Brewing. A decent enough lager but nothing stands out. I think part of my problem is everything Ardent does pales in comparison to their Honey Ginger and BBA Honey Ginger.
    Virginia Beer Co. out of Nellysford. Wrenish Rye. German Rye malts, Simcoe and Jarrylo. Has the spice need you’d expect from a rye, needs more malty flavor. A nice break from the usual amber ales.
    Ooziefinch - that’s the name of the brewery from Fort Monroe VA. Their stout is called Individually Wrapped. Why? Because they added 60 lbs. of butterscotch making this a sweet stout. You get the butterscotch but it’s not overly sweet, still has a bit of roastiness on the finish. Still only 8.3% abv so not as powerful as other stouts.

New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian REd

So, I went back go Chicago area for my parents' 70th wedding anniversary. My niece came through and delivered a bunch of New Glarus beer. I have wanted to try the Wisconsin Belgian Red for many years, New Glarus doesn't seem to distribute outside of Wisconsin.

It was different than I expected. It's not a beer that you will drink in volume. It was great. New Glarus says that they use a pound of cherries for every bottle. I believe it. It didn't have a vaguely cherry, chemical flavor. It tasted like cherries. It felt more viscous than most beer and it was really good. Sweet but not cloying.

I view it as a dessert beer. One you would split with someone else at the end of a good meal.

Really good, I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    ... Virginia Beer Co. out of Nellysford ...
    This lists Virginia Beer Co as Williamsburg-based: https://www.virginiabeerco.com/about-us

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    So, I went back go Chicago area for my parents' 70th wedding anniversary. My niece came through and delivered a bunch of New Glarus beer. I have wanted to try the Wisconsin Belgian Red for many years, New Glarus doesn't seem to distribute outside of Wisconsin.

It was different than I expected. It's not a beer that you will drink in volume. It was great. New Glarus says that they use a pound of cherries for every bottle. I believe it. It didn't have a vaguely cherry, chemical flavor. It tasted like cherries. It felt more viscous than most beer and it was really good. Sweet but not cloying.

I view it as a dessert beer. One you would split with someone else at the end of a good meal.

Really good, I highly recommend it.
    This review isn’t foul 🤣

I am right there with you- New Glarus Belgian Red is an amazing dessert in a glass. Well captured on the dense and satisfying mouthfeel.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    This lists Virginia Beer Co as Williamsburg-based: https://www.virginiabeerco.com/about-us
    What’s a two plus hour drive among friends?

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    A flight of four Virginia brews I haven’t tried at our Carytown Mellowi Mushroom (they have 40 beers and ciders on tap).

Vasen Brewing - Richmond. Guava Otter.
    Reborn from their guava gose, its a sour ale with a lot of guava added. Nice tropical notes. Kind of refreshing on this hot day.
    Ardent Blind Tiger Pre-Prohibition Lager. Also Richmond. A collaboration with Final Gravity Brewing. A decent enough lager but nothing stands out. I think part of my problem is everything Ardent does pales in comparison to their Honey Ginger and BBA Honey Ginger.
    Virginia Beer Co. out of Nellysford. Wrenish Rye. German Rye malts, Simcoe and Jarrylo. Has the spice need you’d expect from a rye, needs more malty flavor. A nice break from the usual amber ales.
    Ooziefinch - that’s the name of the brewery from Fort Monroe VA. Their stout is called Individually Wrapped. Why? Because they added 60 lbs. of butterscotch making this a sweet stout. You get the butterscotch but it’s not overly sweet, still has a bit of roastiness on the finish. Still only 8.3% abv so not as powerful as other stouts.
    One of these days I will find an Ardent beer, your reviews of them inspire a certain thirstiness.

I'll take Ymm, Beer, Alex for 20K

no. 6-Brewery Bhavana

7f6b662076b31b4f30638c38f0b8419c_640x640.jpg

"This two-year old Belgian Strong Ale was fermented in a single Cabernet barrel."

An amazing beer from an amazing friend who was kind enough to collect an extra bottle of the first six Cellar Door release from his beer club membership last year and share/trade.

Many thanks to fuse again!

Format: 750 ml capped bottle
    Appearance: cloudy red-brown pour with a modest, fizzy head that lingered a long time
    Stemware: Gouden Carolus chalice
    Serving size: 375 ml Saturday and Sunday nights
    Nose: dark fruits and berry vinegar
    Palate: raspberry, lemon, dates, figs, raisins, cherry-apple vinegar and red wine, red, red wine...
    IBU: 20 (estimated)
    ABV: 10.2%
    Pairing: none, but I suppose I'd consider a pasta dish with a homemade marinara gravy
    Overall impression: world class Belgian-style strong/dark ale meets cabernet sauvignon-outstanding

This has been quite fun anticipating this post and I'm honored fuse reminded me via text that I needed a review for it. What better way/beer to review than from one of the best NC breweries in tribute to all who contribute here, regularly or sporadically. Who's going to start the next 20K Ymm, Beer entries?

Respectfully submitted,

devildeac