Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Didn't have the time/expertise to search for the older thread where this would fit better, so putting it here. If someone/mod wants to move it or start a new thread, please do.

This is about as scandalous as the cheating. Not sure which is worse, Emmert making $3.9M or the PAC12 commish making over $5M.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...ysE?li=BBnb7Kz

Pretty good gig if you can get it.

NCAA says sanctions coming for “at least” six programs.

Link

So who are the six schools? My guess would be Arizona, USC, OK State (the three schools whose assistants were indicted) plus Kansas, NC State for the Dennis Smith payments, and Louisville for Brian Bowen.

EDIT: I forgot Chuck Person of Auburn was also among the original indictments. Maybe include them as well.
    Last edited by UrinalCake; 06-12-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    So who are the six schools? My guess would be Arizona, USC, OK State (the three schools whose assistants were indicted) plus Kansas, NC State for the Dennis Smith payments, and Louisville for Brian Bowen.

EDIT: I forgot Chuck Person of Auburn was also among the original indictments. Maybe include them as well.
    What about LSU?

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    Not compensated enough as evidenced by the robust black market.
    I always like this talk about paying players.

#1 Does Zion get paid the same as Nassir Little? If so, then how does that stop some shoe company say “hey Zion go here and we will give you another $50,000.” If you pay them all the same amount that leaves the door open for extra payments. Plus, how does one tell that mom’s brand new car isn’t from his original pay. This would just create a total problem with auditing any records to try to prove extra money is involved.

#2 Each school pays the players what they can. Well Oklahoma State has the oil barren and their starting 5 gets paid a combine $2.5 million. What school can compete with that? Also the richest 10 schools will compete for the title each year. Clemson won’t compete and kiss that football program good bye. But will Texas Tech ever have another chance at a title?

#3 Guys like Zion get paid more than guys like Little. How much and who decides that? What about guys like Morant, he is going to go at #2 in the draft but no way he gets as much as Reddish. How much of a problem is that?

Do they do away with scholarships and make the kids pay for school? They should, they are no longer students, they are employees.

Paying the players will not solve any problems. As a CPA, the numbers will not work out. I know one CPA that makes $60,000 a year and another one who makes $90,000 a year. How the heck does the market work? The market is the story you want to create but it is not true.

That talk is foolish.

Do away with school and actually make a real minor league that can pay what players are worth.

Well that is what the D league was suppose to do. I think this “market” is telling us something. That it does not exist. If it did, the D league would pay more. Nobody has the funds for this “market.” The NBA owners don’t see it. I think Mr. Bilas should be asked to tell us where this “market” is.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Do away with school and actually make a real minor league that can pay what players are worth.
    Perhaps you should consider that the sport of college basketball's worth is mostly vested in the name on the front of the jerseys, and all the inherent fan bases and traditions that go along with it. Doing away with college sports will not magically translate into "worth" for whatever minor league you are dreaming of. No one's gonna care to pay to see "the Spartanburg Spartans" against the "Greensboro Greenies" or what have you.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    No one's gonna care to pay to see "the Spartanburg Spartans" against the "Greensboro Greenies" or what have you.
    Will they serve cold beer?

Perhaps you should consider that the sport of college basketball's worth is mostly vested in the name on the front of the jerseys, and all the inherent fan bases and traditions that go along with it. Doing away with college sports will not magically translate into "worth" for whatever minor league you are dreaming of. No one's gonna care to pay to see "the Spartanburg Spartans" against the "Greensboro Greenies" or what have you.
    So what? College football and basketball will still exist … just as college baseball does, in tandem with the baseball minor leagues. Will college football and basketball be ruined if the best teenage players are siphoned away from college and into a minor league? I think Duke-State, Ohio State-Michigan, USC-UCLA, whatever, will be just as intense with that system. The only thing that would be missing, probably, is the ridiculous amount of money and attention that ESPN and others pour into the colleges … and many of us think that would be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    So what? College football and basketball will still exist … just as college baseball does, in tandem with the baseball minor leagues. Will college football and basketball be ruined if the best teenage players are siphoned away from college and into a minor league? I think Duke-State, Ohio State-Michigan, USC-UCLA, whatever, will be just as intense with that system. The only thing that would be missing, probably, is the ridiculous amount of money and attention that ESPN and others pour into the colleges … and many of us think that would be a good thing.
    You seemed to have totally missed the point I was making to PackMan. I never said anything about college being ruined....quite the opposite in fact. If the best 5% of the talent bypasses college....the college game will still be as big - and still just as much money will be "poured into it" because there are still going to be alums, and local fans, who've followed their team for years/decades/generations. THATS where the money is....not in any particular group of players or even any particular generation of players.

And there still won't be much interest in any D or G League really....

You seemed to have totally missed the point I was making to PackMan. I never said anything about college being ruined...quite the opposite in fact. If the best 5% of the talent bypasses college...the college game will still be as big - and still just as much money will be "poured into it" because there are still going to be alums, and local fans, who've followed their team for years/decades/generations. THATS where the money is...not in any particular group of players or even any particular generation of players.

And there still won't be much interest in any D or G League really...
    Not much interest in a D League or G League sure. But can you imagine the interest in a DOG League?

*head explodes*

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Not much interest in a D League or G League sure. But can you imagine the interest in a DOG League?

*head explodes*
    I believe there's a documentary out there.

Linky 1

Linky 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman10 View Post
    I always like this talk about paying players.

Another hijack. I think Hitler will get 13 mpg and will drink Grolsch ale after games. Can we now get back to the thread topic? There are dozens of threads on paying players one could try tp revive that the rest of us could ignore.

*head explodes*
    I actually once interviewed a candidate for Duke who played in the GOD league:

http://www.myhsal.com/Playoffs/basketball-boys-v

He was not being recruited for basketball.

*head explodes*
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

http://www.myhsal.com/Playoffs/basketball-boys-v

I'm a dyslexic atheist: I don't believe in DOG.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Did the Plumlees compete in the GOD League while playing for Christ School? I seem to recall an article about them winning a championship over the Abraham Apostles. *ducks*

Back to the topic at hand; seems weird that they would notify the 6 schools at different times... The two "high profile" schools (Zona and Kansas, IMO) will know by early July and the other 4 will be notified later in the summer? I get it that the NCAA is gonna NCAA, but you'd think that something that tarnishes their brand would be ripped off like a band-aid rather than prolonging it. Also, outside of maybe Creighton, the term "high-profile" applies to a lot of the other programs mentioned... I'd consider USC, the Cards, and maybe even State to be at that national profile, albeit not exactly blue blood status.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    Did the Plumlees compete in the GOD League while playing for Christ School? I seem to recall an article about them winning a championship over the Abraham Apostles. *ducks*

Back to the topic at hand; seems weird that they would notify the 6 schools at different times... The two "high profile" schools (Zona and Kansas, IMO) will know by early July and the other 4 will be notified later in the summer? I get it that the NCAA is gonna NCAA, but you'd think that something that tarnishes their brand would be ripped off like a band-aid rather than prolonging it. Also, outside of maybe Creighton, the term "high-profile" applies to a lot of the other programs mentioned... I'd consider USC, the Cards, and maybe even State to be at that national profile, albeit not exactly blue blood status.
    Sounds like a prosecutor trying to line up defendants for trial in an order that will bring out the most evidence, support the most and most severe charges, and bring down the most defendants.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I'm a dyslexic atheist: I don't believe in DOG.
    Do you believe in Shammgod?

Do you believe in Shammgod?
    On that, I'd have to say I'm amphibious ...