View Poll Results: Who wins? Who will sit on the Throne at the end of the series

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jon Snow/Stark/Targaryen

6 24.00%
  • Sansa Stark

2 8.00%
  • Arya Stark

0 0%
  • Daenerys Targaryen

5 20.00%
  • Cersei Lannister

0 0%
  • Jaime Lannister

0 0%
  • Tyrian Lannister

3 12.00%
  • Theon Greyjoy

0 0%
  • Samwell Tarley

1 4.00%
  • Bronn of the Blackwater

0 0%
  • Gendry Baratheon

1 4.00%
  • Lyanna Mormont (you know we all want to see this!!)

0 0%
  • The Night King

2 8.00%
  • Other (explain in post

5 20.00%
Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Pretty well done and humorous summary of S8:

That was spot on.

It's basically glorified fan-fiction, but an article from The Ringer today linked an author going about re-scripting the entire 8th season scene by scene. I'm only one episode in and I think we might have a contender for someone to handle the re-shoots for which 1.5 million people have petitioned.

https://www.aliceshipwise.com/gameof...lty_part1.html

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    It's basically glorified fan-fiction, but an article from The Ringer today linked an author going about re-scripting the entire 8th season scene by scene. I'm only one episode in and I think we might have a contender for someone to handle the re-shoots for which 1.5 million people have petitioned.

https://www.aliceshipwise.com/gameof...lty_part1.html
    I've read the first few pages. I would pay good money to see this script produced!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    That was spot on.
    It really was.

My last GoT post ever. Wow.

I enjoyed the finale, and thought it better than most of the last season and a half because it took its time a little bit. Somehow I wasn't as bothered in the moment by the total implausibility of some of the things happening as in other recent episodes (Why didn't the Unsullied kill Jon immediately? Why was Tyrion still alive? How did that final gathering of nobles came together? What the heck is the need for a Night's Watch, anymore? Why doesn't everyone follow Sansa's lead and the whole thing breaks apart? Who are these people sailing off with Arya? Are we to believe no one ever sailed West from Westeros before, like she just invented seafaring exploration?). Things had to be tied up somehow. I liked the end for Jon, though again implausible (guy saved the entire human race and they send him to the Wall even after the Unsullied and Dothraki sail away?). But I like to think he's not going back, and he will enjoy nights by the fire and take a wife in the far North after he Odd Couples it with his bro Tormund for a couple years.

That said, I fully endorse the general consensus here that most of the final plot developments just felt underfleshed and/or unearned. Especially Bran as king. I could have bought "Bran was secretly masterminding this the whole time, using Jon's parentage to take out Danaerys, and getting Littlefinger offed, etc., as part of his grand scheme of getting the ultimate revenge on Jaime and Cersei for the events of the first episode of the series." But nothing presented over 8 seasons would have foreshadowed that revelation, and the Bran character was too flat and undeveloped to make it believable, anyway.

Combined with the seeming abandonment of so many interesting ideas and character arcs and the ultimate lack of meaning to so many of the twists and big moments from throughout the series, it all left me disappointed, and guilty pleasure watching these last several weeks. Not so-called "hate watching" and I'm not starting a twitter account to complain about how my time was stolen by charlatans who promised me pure awesomeness or any of that. But all in all, disappointed that a lot of the great setup and writing and character establishment was eventually sort of squandered or had an underwhelming payoff.

One element people have discussed upthread is their frustration that ultimately Jon's being a Targaryen didn't end up mattering, but I'd quibble with that. It did matter - if he hadn't been, or it hadn't been discovered, he would have continued to peacefully serve Dany, probably marry her, and never presented a threat, and she wouldn't have felt so isolated and pushed toward her final answer in the "love or fear" sweepstakes. She knew Jon let the cat out of the bag, and Sansa had already started to use it against her, and Varys was spreading the word. Now, whether any of that was sufficiently scripted or fleshed out on film all that well and leveraged for the bang it could have gotten is up for grabs (and I'm in the camp that it wasn't), but I think without it Danaerys continues to listen to her better angels and doesn't murder a million people and guarantee her own assassination. Like most here I found her rampage utterly unbelievable given the totality of prior events and character development, but the final nudge for it wouldn't have been there were it not for Jon learning he was her nephew.

Anyway, fun show. Not "ruined" by the last couple seasons, just lessened. And my great enjoyment of the first 4+ seasons and the tantalizing story possibilities they presented isn't rendered imaginary by limping to the finish, either.

On to the next one!

I’ve come up with a cure for my disappointment. I’m rewatching Deadwood from the beginning in preparation for the movie. Things are going quite well with this plan so far.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I’ve come up with a cure for my disappointment. I’m rewatching Deadwood from the beginning in preparation for the movie. Things are going quite well with this plan so far.
    I have the same plan except I’m only rewatching S3 before the movie. Just finished 3rd and final season of Santa Clarita Diet. I miss “Deadwood” and “Justified” Timothy Olyphant.

From the Horse's Mouth

HBO has started to film a Prequel to Game of Thrones!

This Sunday (5/26/2019) I'm told that a Making of the GoT show will appear on HBO.

Just GoTten from the horse's mouth.

Larry
    DevilHorse

I know there are a lot of folks complaining about how GOT ended, so here is a dude who has an alternate final season that is pretty darn well done. I wish this had been what happened instead:

There are a few problems with his narrative: 1) Arya can't wear a face unless she has taken it off a dead body and she ain't killing Jamie... plus bringing Elaria Sand back just feels unnecessary; 2) Danys bending the knee would take a lot and seems unrealistic, I think an uneasy truce would be a better idea; 3) Jon Snow dying because the great tree was destroyed is weak and doesn't make much sense. Just have Jon die in the battle with the Army of the Dead if you want him to die.

That said, there's a lot of good stuff in the above video and it would have made for a far more satisfying ending. Most importantly, it would have kept characters on the arc that defined them for the previous seven seasons. The final season was like introducing us to brand new characters as they all acted in ways that bore no relation to the folks we knew from the past. Ugh...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I know there are a lot of folks complaining about how GOT ended, so here is a dude who has an alternate final season that is pretty darn well done. I wish this had been what happened instead:

There are a few problems with his narrative: 1) Arya can't wear a face unless she has taken it off a dead body and she ain't killing Jamie... plus bringing Elaria Sand back just feels unnecessary; 2) Danys bending the knee would take a lot and seems unrealistic, I think an uneasy truce would be a better idea; 3) Jon Snow dying because the great tree was destroyed is weak and doesn't make much sense. Just have Jon die in the battle with the Army of the Dead if you want him to die.

That said, there's a lot of good stuff in the above video and it would have made for a far more satisfying ending. Most importantly, it would have kept characters on the arc that defined them for the previous seven seasons. The final season was like introducing us to brand new characters as they all acted in ways that bore no relation to the folks we knew from the past. Ugh...
    Ok, I like some of his stuff. He clearly put a lot of thought into it. I agree with your thoughts about it. Also, if Jon dies because magic dies, wouldn’t Gregor Clegane die too, so no Cleganebowl?

A very good video about how the story completely flipped on a dime in the final few episodes and why it really, really did not work.

I know its a huge "what if," but IF GRRM is able to finish his last 2 tomes I have a flicker of hope for an amazing ending after reading and listening to all of the fan fictions and "how GOT should have ended" articles, videos and screenplays over the past few weeks. I can absolutely see GRRM spending waaaaaaay too much time pouring over the same articles, videos and screenplays, cherrypicking all of his favorite parts, then tying it all together successfully and giving D&D the literary middle finger.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    I know its a huge "what if," but IF GRRM is able to finish his last 2 tomes I have a flicker of hope for an amazing ending after reading and listening to all of the fan fictions and "how GOT should have ended" articles, videos and screenplays over the past few weeks. I can absolutely see GRRM spending waaaaaaay too much time pouring over the same articles, videos and screenplays, cherrypicking all of his favorite parts, then tying it all together successfully and giving D&D the literary middle finger.
    Martin reportedly has a fairly large ego. I doubt he would do something that was too obviously cribbed from the voluminous fanfiction out there. That said, even if he follows D&D's path, he will know about all the criticism and make his tale more believable and true to the characters.

A very good video about how the story completely flipped on a dime in the final few episodes and why it really, really did not work.
    Must confess, I watched the entire series during the last eight weeks and know none of the key players (creators, writers, etc.) or their back stories.

Is this another example of HBO allowing key players to move on to other desires before sufficiently completing their best career work? HBO certainly did that with one of my three all-time favorites shows, when they let David Milch quickly move from Deadwood to the substantially inferior John from Cincinnati. Seems like HBO should have learned from their Deadwood lesson.

IMO, the final few episodes tried to cover way too much ground. I actually like the idea of concluding with the four surviving Stark kids ultimately leading three or four (Arya?) different parts of the world. IMO, the girls' stories concluded sufficiently but the boys' stories needed substantially more concluding work.

Apparently the really good director who did the big battle episodes (Miguel Sapchnik) wanted to do the following for The Long Night battle but was overruled by D&D:

1. Jorah dying in the first few minutes to create a sense of desperation
    2. White Walkers actually fighting
    3. Bran warging into animals to not be useless, possibly including direwolves against the Ice Zombie Dragon

What could have been...

The GoT prequel has begun filming and here's a summary of what we know so far.

Naomi Watts is the big name attached. It's widely expected* that she'll be gutted by Episode 3.

And, in a "bit late to the party, aren't we?" article, ScreenRant asks how long does it take to travel from Winterfell to King's Landing then does the math. June 22, 2019 seems like a solid day to run with that.

*At least around my house.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Apparently the really good director who did the big battle episodes (Miguel Sapchnik) wanted to do the following for The Long Night battle but was overruled by D&D:

1. Jorah dying in the first few minutes to create a sense of desperation
    2. White Walkers actually fighting
    3. Bran warging into animals to not be useless, possibly including direwolves against the Ice Zombie Dragon

What could have been...
    With the myriad problems this season had, it’d be like curing the patient of the flu while ignoring the stage 4 cancer.

Commendable, but the real problem remains.

I agree the changes here would have improved the episode, although knocking out Jorah early would have slightly undercut what extremely little background this season laid for Daenerys’ heel turn.

The only way to save this season would have been to replace D and D with a pair of showrunners interested in actually making the show’s last set of episodes.

Some more info on the GoT prequel in the works. Sounds like Westeros will be made up of 100 kingdoms at the time of the prequel. We'll have the Starks and the White Walkers...but not Lannisters at first. We'll also finally learn the origin story of Gollum...

I enjoyed this video that just rips Ep 6 a new !#@^$!^@!^. It contains quote a few bad words and be prepared to pause it at times to read the commentary he writes on the screen.

I enjoyed this video that just rips Ep 6 a new !#@^$!^@!^. It contains quote a few bad words and be prepared to pause it at times to read the commentary he writes on the screen.

Is that the same guy who did the amazing videos breaking down Raymond Felton’s game when he was with the Knicks? (Google it if you haven’t seen them!)
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block