Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Coleman is ranked in the 300s, Vrank was 203.

Always possible that kids vastly under/over perform their recruiting rankings, but, I mean, the kid isn't gonna play. Bolden and Javin had a hard time gettin on the floor and they were in the top 15 and top 40, respectively.
    Rankings, schmankings. He's a 7-footer that shoots threes. He'll eventually play.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Rankings, schmankings. He's a 7-footer that shoots threes. He'll eventually play.
    With all due respect, not if he's too slow to play defense, he won't.

I only watched about a minute of the video, but never saw him shoot inside the arc. Did he ever show any post moves?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I only watched about a minute of the video, but never saw him shoot inside the arc. Did he ever show any post moves?
    The video was divided into sections - first they showed him shooting a bunch if threes, then later they showed a string of blocks, then later the post play. Other than him being way bigger than everyone he plays against, we can’t really take anything from these videos.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    There's another one that I just posted in the 2019 recruiting thread, which is where this conversation should be, in which Coleman does a lot of scoring on post moves.

But it's really the 3-pt shooting that is intriguing, though.

Of course, we'd like to have both Jav and Bolden back. But if only one were to return, I'm trying to decide which is most critical for next year's team. I suppose Javin?

Probably

Quote Originally Posted by DukeWarhead View Post
    Of course, we'd like to have both Jav and Bolden back. But if only one were to return, I'm trying to decide which is most critical for next year's team. I suppose Javin?
    Yes, probably Javin, since I could see him playing alongside Carey. But I hope they both come back and have great senior seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Yes, probably Javin, since I could see him playing alongside Carey. But I hope they both come back and have great senior seasons.
    Yeah with Jav we could have a true 3-man rotation along with. Carey and Hurt much like we had with MP1, MP2 and Ryan. Bolden’s not a 4 but, on the other hand, was either MP1 or MP2 really a college 4?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Shooting threes and making them are two different things. I'm not sure K would greenlight him out there against ACC defenders.

I've been trying to find his stats, I want to know what his percentage is from deep. In the video, he's 100%, but I'm guessing the numbers show a different story. If he's over 30%, though, that would be decently impressive.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Without looking for the optimist thread, I expect both Javin and Marques back until we hear otherwise. Let’s Go Duke!

When is the cutoff for Jav and Bolden to return? It seems like all the variables are known at this point except feedback from individual team workouts if any. The longer it goes the less likely it seems they’ll be back. I did read an off hand comment in an article about Duke’s recruitment of Coleman that Bolden and Jav have “remained in the draft” as if it were settled but I assumed it was conjecture.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    When is the cutoff for Jav and Bolden to return? It seems like all the variables are known at this point except feedback from individual team workouts if any. The longer it goes the less likely it seems they’ll be back. I did read an off hand comment in an article about Duke’s recruitment of Coleman that Bolden and Jav have “remained in the draft” as if it were settled but I assumed it was conjecture.
    May 29 is the day so still awhile to go. I wouldn't read anything into the lack of activity yet. Duke beat writers like Wiseman and C.L. Brown have both written previews of the upcoming season that mention Duke expecting at least one to return. It seems extraordinarily unlikely that either will be drafted.

And...

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    duke doesn't work on hours. Every class is worth 1 credit and you need 34 to graduate..
    Duke accepts up to two credits in advanced placement or dual enrollment, which a lot of people have, so the typical student does 4 credits a semester for eight semesters. If not, then there is summer school, or (I think) up to two half credit PE classes.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Duke accepts up to two credits in advanced placement or dual enrollment, which a lot of people have, so the typical student does 4 credits a semester for eight semesters. If not, then there is summer school, or (I think) up to two half credit PE classes.
    Way back when (early 80's) I got 4 AP credits. It got me a semester ahead of most of my classmates! A really big benefit was subsequent registrations: I was always close to first in line!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Way back when (early 80's) I got 4 AP credits. It got me a semester ahead of most of my classmates! A really big benefit was subsequent registrations: I was always close to first in line!

-jk
    My daughter came out of HS with 9 AP’s but Duke only gave two credits.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

16. Same story. Had 11 APs, all 5s except the 4 in Modern European History (cuz, yawn). But I only got a pitiful number of credits. At least I could use those APs to skip some of the intro classes.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Without looking for the optimist thread, I expect both Javin and Marques back until we hear otherwise. Let’s Go Duke!
    I like your optimism, but I think hearing otherwise is key to getting either of them back.

Ah, the good ol' days

-jk
    I remember one guy from way back when who came in with a whole year's worth of credits, but nowadays that would mean $58,000 in foregone income for Duke.

-jk
    That was the main benefit I got from AP credits (not at Duke). I can't remember how many AP courses I took but I was just a little shy of effectively being a sophomore by credit-hours so I always got my first choice for classes. None of them counted towards my major and only one towards my non-major requirements so it didn't put me ahead of schedule for graduation though.

Question about Duke...is there a reason they do credits instead of hours or is it just The Way Things Have Always Been Done?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    That was the main benefit I got from AP credits (not at Duke). I can't remember how many AP courses I took but I was just a little shy of effectively being a sophomore by credit-hours so I always got my first choice for classes. None of them counted towards my major and only one towards my non-major requirements so it didn't put me ahead of schedule for graduation though.

Question about Duke...is there a reason they do credits instead of hours or is it just The Way Things Have Always Been Done?
    In the old days the requirement to graduate was 124 semester hours. That was back when we took five classes per semester and had Saturday AM classes. So, 15 x 8 = 120 plus a lab science for two extra hours (4 vs. 3) plus four one-hour PE classes.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013