Page 20 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Does he have John Ribock backing him up?
    Here's a Curry Kirkpatrick SI article which detailed the South Carolina basketball juggernaut of the early 1970's. Classic quote from Ribock.

"We have our own animals," says South Carolina's Riker. "How about Ribock? He's insane."

The son of a retired Army mess sergeant and a onetime altar boy, Ribock has become the league's reigning butcher due largely to the efforts of Roche and Owens. On first meeting the New Yorkers as freshmen, Ribock, a Georgia native, said, "You know what I like to do when I go home? I like to sit in front of my TV with a big gallon of water and drink it all down." The Dead End sophisticates, Roche and Owens, went wild. They said to each other "Instant Savage" and proceeded to, in their words, "psych Ribock up for blasting guys" by telling him how tough his opponents were supposed to be.

https://www.si.com/vault/1971/01/04/...anybodys-block

I would have liked Duke to take a shot at Daishen Nix. He's a 6'4" PG from Alaska. Nix has moved to Las Vegas. With Roach in the fold, I assume Duke will pass on Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    I would have liked Duke to take a shot at Daishen Nix. He's a 6'4" PG from Alaska. Nix has moved to Las Vegas. With Roach in the fold, I assume Duke will pass on Nix.
    If Duke pursues another PG in the 2020 class it's likely to be Caleb Love, from St. Louis. They already have established a relationship.

If Duke pursues another PG in the 2020 class it's likely to be Caleb Love, from St. Louis. They already have established a relationship.
    Read an interview recently (just after Roach committed) which made it sound like Love is probably now a Longshot. Things of course change but it looks like the coaches may have to extend their pg list if they want to bring in someone along side Roach.

Would like to see a “Moore-Love” backcourt. We could possibly play some “Love-Hurts” two man game.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Would like to see a “Moore-Love” backcourt. We could possibly play some “Love-Hurts” two man game.
    Don’t get Carey’d away.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

and you should nix Nix

Does he have John Ribock backing him up?
    I feel compelled to tell a wee (even true) story for those who remember Ribock The Enforcer and those ultra physical Gamecock teams.
    A classmate at Duke had moved from NY to SC in high school, did not enjoy the place. He became a virulent anti Gamecock fan (like most everyone else at Duke) and especially detested Ribock. No big surprise.
    Not many years later, his mom developed a life threatening disease and required some rare blood, and who did the Corpuscle Gods offer up as the donor but one John Ribock. How 'bout that?
    (I know Jim knew this student as well). Ya just never know...

A flurry of Crystal Ball picks for Jalen Johnson to Duke today: https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitut...rtPredictions/

Including by Evan Daniels, he of the 93+% accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    A flurry of Crystal Ball picks for Jalen Johnson to Duke today: https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitut...rtPredictions/

Unfortunately, also a slew of Crystal Ball picks for Brandon Boston, Jr. to Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Unfortunately, also a slew of Crystal Ball picks for Brandon Boston, Jr. to Kentucky.
    Related?

-jk

That's a bit disappointing (though it certainly seems real, with the Duke insider Andrew Slater being one of the ones making that pick), particularly since we don't appear to be involved with any of the other top 10 ranked shooting guards in 2020.

I'd thought we would have had a strong pitch for Boston and Johnson to play together on the wings. And, it's not like Cal is going to stop recruiting wings if they land Boston (see, e.g., him bringing in all three of Whitney, Brooks and Juzang this year).

Brings back memories of the brief period in Duke basketball of "Sweet-Love".

We've had a number of very talented forwards in this size range over the last several years -- Jabari Parker, Brandon Ingram, Jayson Tatum, and Cam Reddish come to mind. Is Jalen a good comp for one or more of this group? Or what else would best describe his game?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I feel compelled to tell a wee (even true) story for those who remember Ribock The Enforcer and those ultra physical Gamecock teams.
    A classmate at Duke had moved from NY to SC in high school, did not enjoy the place. He became a virulent anti Gamecock fan (like most everyone else at Duke) and especially detested Ribock. No big surprise.
    Not many years later, his mom developed a life threatening disease and required some rare blood, and who did the Corpuscle Gods offer up as the donor but one John Ribock. How 'bout that?
    (I know Jim knew this student as well). Ya just never know...
    Our mutual friend from Irmo, I presume. I did not know the story about his mother, however.

Tom Owens was one of the great players on those South Carolina teams. About 6-10, mobile, led the ACC in rebounding three times. Bubas recruited Owens really hard. Roche was part of the package deal but Owens was considered the prize.

Owens finished his college career by helping USC beat UNC in the 1971 ACC Tournament title game. Winning basket on a jump ball at the buzzer.

Anyway. Owens often professed his undying hatred for the state of North Carolina. I'll never again set foot in North Carolina, yada, yada.

So, where does he end up in the pros? Why the Carolina Cougars of course.
    Last edited by jimsumner; 05-15-2019 at 09:03 PM.

I thought that whole Kentucky/Calipari thing jumped the shark several years ago. Perhaps I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    We've had a number of very talented forwards in this size range over the last several years -- Jabari Parker, Brandon Ingram, Jayson Tatum, and Cam Reddish come to mind. Is Jalen a good comp for one or more of this group? Or what else would best describe his game?
    Jalen Johnson is a point-forward. So, I would take Ben Simmons as a starting point, subtract some athleticism, subtract some passing ability, but add a jumpshot. Or, to put it more straightforwardly, a less athletic Ben Simmons that can actually shoot and is not quite as good a passer.

Jalen Johnson is a point-forward. So, I would take Ben Simmons as a starting point, subtract some athleticism, subtract some passing ability, but add a jumpshot. Or, to put it more straightforwardly, a less athletic Ben Simmons that can actually shoot and is not quite as good a passer.
    So a completely different player with similar measurements?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    So a completely different player with similar measurements?
    He’s like JJ but without the jump shot and black. Just picture Shaq, 6 inches shorter and 100 pounds lighter and with guard skills.

jerry meyer predicting kentucky for bj boston.