Page 194 of 204 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,880 of 4071
    There looks to be a solid chance Duke doesn’t have a lottery pick in 2020. When the hell was the last time that happened?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I'd be SHOCKED... like, completely stunned... if Vernon Carey is that low. The kid is huge, physical, quick and skilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I'd be SHOCKED... like, completely stunned... if Vernon Carey is that low. The kid is huge, physical, quick and skilled.
    Apparently centers have gone the way of 8 track cassettes and encyclopedias.

I don’t understand how Moore is the 35-ish best college freshman yet the 19th best NBA prospect. That suggests his game is more built for the pros than for college, and I would have supposed the exact opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    There looks to be a solid chance Duke doesn’t have a lottery pick in 2020. When the hell was the last time that happened?
    2013, Mason went #22.

--Jason "since then Jabari, Justise, Jahlil, Brandon, Luke, Jayson, Wendell, and Marvin have all gone lottery with Zion, RJ, and Cam almost certain to follow them this year" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

^ there’s also a non-zero chance that Duke doesn’t have a single OAD player. I believe 2013 was also the last time that happened. Highly unlikely, but if it did happen we would be pretty awesome the following season.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    ^ there’s also a non-zero chance that Duke doesn’t have a single OAD player. I believe 2013 was also the last time that happened. Highly unlikely, but if it did happen we would be pretty awesome the following season.
    We'll definitely have at least one OAD. Vernon, to me, is gone. But after that, it gets pretty interesting.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post

I haven't watched a lot of video of Vernon... is he as skilled a post scorer as Okafor?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Vernon, to me, is gone.
    Recruiting threads move so fast. He’s already gone? I feel like I never got to see him in a Duke uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    I haven't watched a lot of video of Vernon... is he as skilled a post scorer as Okafor?
    Well, no. But who would be? Okafor was a uniquely skilled post scorer. On a scale of 1 to 100, Okafor was a 99 in the post offense category.

From the handful of games I have seen, Carey has as much or more skill on offense as Wendell Carter, Jr. He is going to get points down low due to some decent footwork, a cuople of moves, outworking people, surprising athleticism, and the occasional jumper. Unlike Carter, I expect Carey to be the leading scorer on the team. That had little to do with Carter and a lot more to do with his teammates.

Alos, I don't think Okafor would have gone top 5 if he was being drafted now. The NBA has changed too much.

I'd be surprised if he went in the top 5, but if Vernon has a great season, and proves that he's a capable defender and is a threat to hit from the perimeter, I don't see him dropping into the 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Well, no. But who would be? Okafor was a uniquely skilled post scorer. On a scale of 1 to 100, Okafor was a 99 in the post offense category.

From the handful of games I have seen, Carey has as much or more skill on offense as Wendell Carter, Jr. He is going to get points down low due to some decent footwork, a cuople of moves, outworking people, surprising athleticism, and the occasional jumper. Unlike Carter, I expect Carey to be the leading scorer on the team. That had little to do with Carter and a lot more to do with his teammates.
    I think Carter is a reasonably decent comparison for Carey. Neither wows you athletically, though neither is an anchor like Okafor was either. Both are solid shooters from various spots on the floor. Carey seems like he might have a little more offensive polish than Carter, but probably won't be as good defensively (of course, Carter was really only good defensively when we switched to zone, so who knows?).

Obviously they aren't identical, but Carter is probably the best approximation of the type of player that Carey will be. With the understanding - as you note - that Carter's Duke stats were deflated by playing next to Bagley.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post

Just a bit of a quibble on Okafor as far as post offense. If he is 99, I'd leave some room above that for Zion. My recollection on Okafor (overwhelmingly positive to be sure) was that against good defenders, he could get pushed a little farther from the basket and was not super-accurate from a few feet further.

I haven't seen much of Carey and appreciate your observations. I guess Hurt will be the leading scorer, but eagerly await seeing the Duke 19-20 edition in action and would be happy to see Carey dominate inside.

^ Same... appreciate the info/perspective gents.

If memory serves me well, most of our best teams combined great guard and wing play (which we usually have) with reliable post scoring (Laettner, Brand, Boozer, Okafor). Every one of those teams won the national championship and the one that didn't was arguably our most dominant.

That's part of the reason I asked about that aspect of Vernon's skill set, other than just general curiosity.

^ Same... appreciate the info/perspective gents.

If memory serves me well, most of our best teams combined great guard and wing play (which we usually have) with reliable post scoring (Laettner, Brand, Boozer, Okafor). Every one of those teams won the national championship and the one that didn't was arguably our most dominant.

That's part of the reason I asked about that aspect of Vernon's skill set, other than just general curiosity.
    So, teams that have great guard play, great wing play and national-player-of-the-year-caliber post players tend to be pretty good?

Smash my head. Who'd a thunk it?

Would it be churlish of me to suggest that neither the 37-3 1986 team (Jay Bilas, 6.8 ppg) nor the 2010 NCAA title team (Brian Zoubek, 5.6 ppg) got a lot of scoring from the center spot?

Which isn't to suggest that a scoring five is a bad thing.

^ lol.. I thought about that jim after I posted it.

Welandedonthemoonhuh?

Yep... let me have it...

I forgot about the '86 team. As painful as '99 was, '86 might've been more so for some of us longer in the tooth.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Recruiting threads move so fast. He’s already gone? I feel like I never got to see him in a Duke uniform.
    I am going to start a thread advocating for his jersey in the rafters. Unless he redshirts next year.

^ lol.. I thought about that jim after I posted it.

Welandedonthemoonhuh?

Yep... let me have it...

I forgot about the '86 team. As painful as '99 was, '86 might've been more so for some of us longer in the tooth.
    '78 was no picnic and '66 sucked as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I am going to start a thread advocating for his jersey in the rafters. Unless he redshirts next year.
    Go ahead and start the Vernon Carey jersey retirement thread. The mods will close it if he redshirts, but can then re-open it when Coach K burns the redshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    So, teams that have great guard play, great wing play and national-player-of-the-year-caliber post players tend to be pretty good?

Smash my head. Who'd a thunk it?

Would it be churlish of me to suggest that neither the 37-3 1986 team (Jay Bilas, 6.8 ppg) nor the 2010 NCAA title team (Brian Zoubek, 5.6 ppg) got a lot of scoring from the center spot?

Which isn't to suggest that a scoring five is a bad thing.
    Bilas, who was injured part of the year, shared the center position with Ferry. Together they played 1604 minutes (40.0 per game) and scored 467 points (11.7 per game).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Do you have him confused with the Boogie man?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.