Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new grill

new grill

I am buying a new grill and was wondering if people have experience with infrared cooking. Unfortunately, charcoal is out for pragmatic reasons. On the gas side though, infrared just doesnt seem right. Is it good to go?
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Grill

I'm not sure if its a "national" brand or not, but I have bought (2) Broilmaster all aluminum gas grills through my power company (in ground, first one stayed with the house when we moved) that are hooked up to the home gas lines.

I'm really happy with how Broilmaster cooks, but I'm intrigued by the "Big Green Egg" and have historically had great experiences with both Weber charcoal and gas grills.

Hope this helps!

-g

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I'm not sure if its a "national" brand or not, but I have bought (2) Broilmaster all aluminum gas grills through my power company (in ground, first one stayed with the house when we moved) that are hooked up to the home gas lines.

I'm really happy with how Broilmaster cooks, but I'm intrigued by the "Big Green Egg" and have historically had great experiences with both Weber charcoal and gas grills.

Hope this helps!

-g
    I don't know about infrared, but we've had a Broilmaster for about 10 years and it is a great product.

Gas Grills

I have a Weber and think it is very good.

I don't know your situation. If you own your home then I would recommend natural gas rather than propane tanks. Much more convenient.

I have a side burner that I rarely use.

It is just my wife and I now. We have a 3 burner which is fine 99% of the time. Once in a while I would like a 4 burner which gives 2 zones.

By reputation Broilmaster is very good also.

SoCal

Time to revive this thread. I’m in the market for a new grill (mine died after 13 years). Small-mid size. Doesn’t need to be fancy. Must be propane- I can’t have charcoal here and no way to hook up to a gas line. I’m leaning toward a Weber. Thoughts? Any particular model? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71, esq View Post
    Time to revive this thread. I’m in the market for a new grill (mine died after 13 years). Small-mid size. Doesn’t need to be fancy. Must be propane- I can’t have charcoal here and no way to hook up to a gas line. I’m leaning toward a Weber. Thoughts? Any particular model? Thanks.
    The Weber Q series is really terrific in my experience. Starts with the 1000, which is a pretty small tabletop-type model, and works up to the 3200, which is a nice mid-sized option. All models have good options and add-ons, and propane connections on these babies are a snap. They're on the expensive side, as are most Weber products, but with grills, you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71, esq View Post
    We have the Weber 3-burner grill (no side burner) and I love it. It replaced a 10 year old 2-burner Weber 2 years ago. You can't go wrong with the Weber, even if it's a few dollars more than the cheapies. I did have to replace the AA battery in the auto-igniter this spring . LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I have a rather old propane grill that is wearing out. Base is pretty heavy and sturdy. Probably 15-20 years old. To give you a sense of how old, the propane tanks are the old style of connection. Luckily I have several and can just get them refilled locally.

Question is whether its worth repairing an old grill or just buying a new one. Are newer grills well made, or is it a "they don't make them like they used to" kind of thing.
    "There can BE only one."

I’ll second all the Weber recommendations. I bought mine a few years ago, replacing a cheaper charbroil model. The Weber has a much higher build quality (which I expect to last longer - the insides of the charbroil only lasted a few years), and it cooks much more evenly. To me it’s been totally worth the extra cost.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    I have a rather old propane grill that is wearing out. Base is pretty heavy and sturdy. Probably 15-20 years old. To give you a sense of how old, the propane tanks are the old style of connection. Luckily I have several and can just get them refilled locally.

Question is whether its worth repairing an old grill or just buying a new one. Are newer grills well made, or is it a "they don't make them like they used to" kind of thing.
    You need to spend at least $300 to get out of the flimsy category (barring sales). Webers are built for the long haul and Fathers Day sales are coming up if you can wait a month.

grilling out

I have a Weber Genesis 3 burner model, propane, my second, a Christmas gift purchased at Ace Hardware and assembled there in 2005. I brought my first Weber also a 3 Burner model from Home Depot in 1987. I assembled the first myself with the supervision of a neighbor who looked on with amusement as we split a 6 pack. These models start now at about $900. I do not recall ever seeing them discounted at Home Depot. I have replaced the grill inserts and burner bars and "flavorizer" bars on one or the other through the years. I replaced the gas feeder hose from the propane tank once because my dog chewed thru the original. The grills have been used at least weekly and up to 100 times a year. Warmer weather down here in Georgia. The replacement parts were either available at Home Depot or ordering direct from Weber. I do not have a garage and the grill is outside continuously though I do keep it covered with a Weber grill cover. I also grill at times, usually weekends, on a Green Egg.

I like the 3 burner grills better than the 2 burner for more even heat distribution.

While pricier than some other makes, my next gas grill purchase will be a Weber.

I think we've had our Weber about 18 years (Father's Day and/or birthday gift early 2000s; cost then about $600) and will echo the above recommendations. We've also had 2 "major" re-builds costing about $200 each over the last 3-5 years, one included the "starter/igniter," and would certainly buy another if/when this one falls apart. Kept outside and protected nicely from the elements with an over-sized Duke vinyl cover .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I've used up one Weber and am 9 years into a second. Love 'em.

I did get the spring to put around the hose from the tank to the grill - twice; my squirrels seem to find the bare hose tasty. I wish they shipped with it.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I've used up one Weber and am 9 years into a second. Love 'em.

I did get the spring to put around the hose from the tank to the grill - twice; my squirrels seem to find the bare hose tasty. I wish they shipped with it.

-jk
    Those dumb critters have also found the plastic caps from my plastic gas cans to be a delicacy.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Those dumb critters have also found the plastic caps from my plastic gas cans to be a delicacy.
    New thread: Ymm, chewy!

-jk

I find squirrels chewing on the brick steps that lead to my front porch.

In fairness to the squirrels, they are rodents. Pretty sure that means "long teeth" in Latin. I think they have to chew on tough stuff all the time to pare down their teeth or they get so long as to make life uncomfortable.

Weber just trashed a 15 yr old gas model.i may have paid 250 -300 at most for it. We have a Baker and chef(Sam's club) gas grill at work it's got some years also.

Thanks all. Seems I’m on the right track with a Weber. I can wait for sales even though I’d love to be grilling now. I went to Lowe’s tonight to look at them. I definitely want a 3-burner, but don’t want a huge one and also don’t need a side burner (dead grill has one that was used maybe twice in 13 years). I’m not looking for fancy- just sturdy, reliable, even heat, no/few flare ups...

I looked at the Weber Genesis II E-310 and Spirit II E-310 models tonight. The main differences were size and BTUs- Genesis was bigger for both. Other than that, does anyone have feedback on those particular Weber lines/models? Any other recommendations? Thanks again for the help!

Sue -- I got a big ol' Broil King to replace my ancient Weber, which was probably 17-18 years old. The Weber got destroyed by the local bears over the years. The Broil King was one-third less than the comparable Weber, and, so far, I have been pleased with it.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

My Weber Silver B is turning 20, and while it still works nicely (used it all winter including at -9F for lamb chops), I think I'll get a Weber Genesis to replace it this year...fine piece of engineering, but I'm starting to get a few issues (drip pan is finally rotting, wheels falling off, numerous cosmetic issues)...you can buy a grill that costs a lot more than a Weber, but it's still got a great bang for the buck. Weber doesn't allow discounting, so I have the antenna up looking for the enticements from the local hardware store, e.g. free delivery, free cover, propane tank, whatever...