Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I didn't think we could win without a good game from Cam.

Jordan had a big game. Vrank made some good plays.

I have a moral dilemma. I've committed to dinner with friends tomorrow who don't care about basketball. I think I am coming down with something and need to cancel.
    You've got Ebola. I'm a doctor on DBR.

Let’s go Duke. Zion and Jordan. Big games. Free throws. Come on.

Quote Originally Posted by kaufmjo View Post
    Wow that was nerve racking. RJ has to hit those shots at end tourney time.
    First of all, congrats to the team for a needed win. I believe we would have won easily if Tre and Jordan handled the ball and Williamson got a touch on each possession. He was clearly the best player on the floor and even defensively, Luke Maybe was held way down tonight.

To improve what we did tonight:

1. Stop making silly fouls far from the basket. We must have handed UNC 6 or 8 points on that kind of foul.

2. We got into RJ and Cam handling the ball and turning the ball over. We don't need hero ball just movement to put themselves into a position to score.

3. Box out as we gave up quite a few points when UNC got an offensive rebound at the basket after missing the initial shot.

4. Make FTs

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Goldwire is a warrior. Just stepping it up at the right time of the year. Was getting no burn at all earlier, but has fought his way and taken his opportunity to impact this team positively.

Sadly, the same cannot be said of Cam Reddish, Jack White, Tre Jones and even Javin Delaurier. I was really hoping these guys would find their groove and confidence in March to help us win a title. Instead they look like they have mental blocks, and visibly have lost all confidence in their own game. If anyone can turn it around, Coach K can.
    i wouldn't say that about Javin, but i would say it about AOC.
    Javin doesn't have good hands and he doesn't go up strong when he should. Still he had 6 rebounds, 5 points and had a sweet block while bothering several other shots in the lane. I thought he played better than even.
    Cam otoh, that dude has become a liability. So much so that J-Gold got 28 minutes in part b/c Cam can't dribble or pass without turning it over, and can't drive without charging. They ran a play for him to get the ball while cutting, and he scored. More of that please.
    J-Gold has now hit 4 strait FGs. After being a 17% FG shooter prior to the ACCT, he is now a 26% FG shooter! Seriously, the dude has stepped up and played the best ball of his career right when the team needed him most. Kudos.

Whew! It feels good to win that. Would’ve been gutting to lose it for us fans. This game ended up a defensive slugfest despite the high-scoring first half. Other than allowing a few too many run-outs, our defense really clamped down after the first 12 minutes or so. Only Cam Johnson and Zion Williamson were efficient scorers for their respective teams. Luckily for us, Zion makes Johnson’s really good performance seem unimpressive by comparison.

The team defense battled all game and made life tough for uNC in the half-court. I hate allowing so many run outs but I guess it’s bound to happen against the Heels. Our half court offense was . . . not great. I’ve been one of Cam’s biggest believers all season but yeesh . . . Some of those TOs were ugly. Our free throw shooting and three point shooting seem to be what they are now. So I hope that K and the staff can work out a few new wrinkles to get RJ and Zion a few more easier looks.

Tomorrow is going to be a serious battle. FSU will want revenge for Cam’s dagger in Tallahassee. On the other hand, they’ll have to face Zion for a full two halves. I can’t wait. Let’s get this team a championship!

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    And you want Zion not to start because?
    I don't think Zion, R.J. or Tre should play tomorrow, to be honest. More important things to do.

Cam really has to show up tomorrow because his foul trouble has allowed for more rest than the other freshmen. Also be nice for AOC or White to be a threat. FSU will be tough with all the size...

The in game thread was yet again horrible. Some of y’all should be banned for some of the garbage I read in that thing. It’s pathetic.

Duke really needs to cut down the turnovers. It seems they always occur at the absolute worst times when the momentum is all duke. But great win. Zion is something else and gets better every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by kaufmjo
    kind of sour grapes comments. I’m not sure even with Zion in much would change the outcome here
    I didn't think it was possible but this statement seems even more ridiculous than it did on Saturday...

presser up yet?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    J-Gold has now hit 4 strait FGs. After being a 17% FG shooter prior to the ACCT, he is now a 26% FG shooter! Seriously, the dude has stepped up and played the best ball of his career right when the team needed him most. Kudos.
    Really excited about Goldwire. He has developed well, and I'm eager to see how he grows his game over the next 2+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I don't think Zion, R.J. or Tre should play tomorrow, to be honest. More important things to do.
    I disagree. We have a chance for a championship. Let’s get it. We will have almost a week to rest after tomorrow. Throwing championships away is not how Duke operates.

Quote Originally Posted by banneheim View Post
    I think I’m going to the ER, I might have suffered a minor heart attack!
    Paging devildeac

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Then win a championship? Let me introduce you to this guy coaching Duke. His name is a little tricky to spell.

There is a decent chance these teams will meet again. I’m not pumped for that at all.

Looking back at the boxscore, just really annoyed that Cam went 0-2 from the free throw line and RJ went 3-6 including missing those last two.

I'm sure this will be fixed in time for the big dance. Its critical we hit those freebies because it would have given us a much more comfortable victory.

Okay a few more thoughts...

That ball that bounced to Goldwire for the layup at the end... right place, right time. HUGE.

Did it seem like the timeouts were really long? That probably helped us a bunch. We looked GASSED. Especially Zion.

Jav didn't have a great game but I thought he played reasonably well. We are going to need him to stay out of foul trouble tomorrow. Or Vrank is gonna have to play. FSU is BIG.

Tre played great on defense and he did a pretty good job initiating the offense. He didn't shoot so well but... that's not really his thing.

RJ did some really good things (8 rebounds, 7 assists) but too many tough shots. The huge step back 3 in particular. It's tough on him though cause w/ Zion out he really needs to carry the offense.

Great win. Still recovering. Feels good though!

I wonder how coach K will handle tomorrow. Our guys seemed completely gassed by the end of this one.

-j-gold with the cramps, Zion holding his back, rj with a mix of nerves and fatigue at the line late (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on fatigue), cam with "mental" cramps??, tre's legs must be dead, etc.

Combing through social media and craiglist to get tickets for tomorrow without killing the wallet.

This talk about resting guys is silly. Coach K and the Duke team want to win a championship. I agree with that philosophy 100%. Let's go after it with ALL our weapons deployed.