Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    he's 65% from the line on the year. They might try it, but I don't see any reason why Zion wouldn't be expected to shoot about his % moving forward.

Further, given his ability to finish through contact, you may just be giving up more &1's.
    Yeah, just my take, but I've seen difficulty in foul shooting relate to being out of action and adjusting to the pace and fatigue of game conditions. Practicing foul shooting during a loss of games due to injuries is standard, but it wouldn't replicate game conditions. Similarly, I think early season foul shooting for several members of the team was related to the same type of thing, freshmen getting adjusted to foul shooting under game conditions.

Zion is likely to go back toward his % and hopefully soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Even at 65%, Zion is more efficient at two-point shots than at free throws. I agree the "and one" possibility skews the analysis a bit, and of course there are only so many players who can foul him effectively and those players only get five tries, but it's still a potential valid opposing strategy, especially at the end of a close game.
    Also last night Zion was the designated in-bounder after made baskets, so there will be fewer opportunities for teams to foul him in late game situations

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    So setting aside the sheer absurdity of Goldwire getting MOTM votes when Zion had one of the best Duke games of all time, is Goldwire set to play meaningful minutes in specific match-ups? Not part of the regular rotation, but if we run into a team with a really good shooter at a non-PG guard position? You might think UVA would fit that description, but he didn't play in either of those games, so maybe last night was a one-off coincidence.
    Cam's foul trouble played a role here as he's usually the guy we use to track the Kyle Guy types.

With that said, we might continue seeing JGold play minutes in certain games going forward. I just don't know whether those games will fit into a pattern or be planned.

Even at 65%, Zion is more efficient at two-point shots than at free throws. I agree the "and one" possibility skews the analysis a bit, and of course there are only so many players who can foul him effectively and those players only get five tries, but it's still a potential valid opposing strategy, especially at the end of a close game.
    I think they'll have to foul him away from the basket. I noticed last night that Tre, Cam, and Goldwire were hoarding the ball at the end when Syracuse was fouling so this can be mitigated.

If they do choose to foul Zion near the rim, it will either be an and-1 or a flagrant (because you'd have to foul him that hard to keep him from finishing his shot).

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Cam's foul trouble played a role here as he's usually the guy we use to track the Kyle Guy types.

With that said, we might continue seeing JGold play minutes in certain games going forward. I just don't know whether those games will fit into a pattern or be planned.
    I think this is certainly the case in playing Jordan. It's evident that Coach K isn't afraid to insert him into big games. Last night I think Coach K was really upset over Alex poor defense. That's why he's the GOAT. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Also need good Cam tomorrow night.
    Unfortunately, there's never any way to know which Cam will show up.

Yeah, Zion is the rare player who is less efficient from the line than he is from the field. After watching last night, I'm a little worried about opponents going with hack-a-Zion moving forward.
    I think that if opponents go with hack-a-Zion strategy, it's likely to backfire. He is strong enough to finish with most all "hacks" and the results would be mulpitle "and ones".

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    He's done it again since then, though (I think the count might be up to 5+, or at least in that ballpark), and yet he's a role model. Wasn't claiming he didn't get properly punished for his cheap shot on Julius Hodge, just that he's done it repeatedly throughout his career college and NBA but it isn't a big deal, he's still a "great guy", and he gets the benefit of the doubt.
    Thanks for explaining some more! Agreed.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    All credit to Jay for staying consistent on this.
    Absolutely moronic, uneducated, hating responses below JWill's response/s.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

Cam's defense last night was not particularly good, although i don't think it was particularly bad. He didn't seem to have good focus on either end of the floor. Hopefully that is not the case going forward.
    However, J-Gold shut Boeheim down completely for several minutes allowing only a 2pt jumper well after SYR's momentum had completely evaporated and Duke had firmly grabbed the lead.
    I agree though that J-Gold's utility won't fit a pattern or be planned, but that his presence will be predicated on the defensive failure of other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkingdukedog View Post
    I think that if opponents go with hack-a-Zion strategy, it's likely to backfire. He is strong enough to finish with most all "hacks" and the results would be mulpitle "and ones".
    I agree. To start with, those hacking will break their arms and wrists.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Cam's defense last night was not particularly good, although i don't think it was particularly bad. He didn't seem to have good focus on either end of the floor. Hopefully that is not the case going forward.
    However, J-Gold shut Boeheim down completely for several minutes allowing only a 2pt jumper well after SYR's momentum had completely evaporated and Duke had firmly grabbed the lead.
    I agree though that J-Gold's utility won't fit a pattern or be planned, but that his presence will be predicated on the defensive failure of other players.
    And last night it was Alex's defensive failure. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkingdukedog View Post
    Really depends on their strategy. Agreed that hack-a-Zion when he has the ball in position to score is not a smart idea. But if they implement the strategy the second he gets the ball in the post, it can absolutely result in a non-shooting foul.

Two things need to happen for this strategy to be effective: 1) the opposing team needs to be in the bonus and 2) they need to be deep. During elimination tournaments, teams don't go as deep and fouls can really, really hurt.

Will be see hack-a-Zion? Absolutely. Will it work? No idea.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by ns7 View Post
    I think they'll have to foul him away from the basket. I noticed last night that Tre, Cam, and Goldwire were hoarding the ball at the end when Syracuse was fouling so this can be mitigated.

If they do choose to foul Zion near the rim, it will either be an and-1 or a flagrant (because you'd have to foul him that hard to keep him from finishing his shot).
    Unless, of course, it's Salt who grabs him with both arms from behind, making no play whatsoever on the ball and gets the common foul call.

Man, Mad Dog on MLBTV just went off on Howard for trying to trip Zion last night. Zion making his way over to major league baseball. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    In fairness to Howard, I assume this is the first time he's been accused of tripping. With Grayson, he had three blatant trips in 2 years.

Also, there is a lot of chatter on the interwebs on this. I do not see a double standard whatsoever.
    Grayson's were magnified for a number of reasons, but all were kind of retaliatory as far as I remember them.

This one almost seemed like it was meant to injure. Sure, he was frustrated as Bilas said, but then Jay gave him a pass saying - Zion didn't even trip or fall. That's weak. This is where I like how JayWill reacted. One small change in how Zion landed and he tweaks the exact same knee that was just injured.

So here's a hypothetical. If, god forbid, Zion did, as could easily have happened, re-injure his knee on that play, what would have happened? Howard would definitely be suspended. The internet would absolutely explode. As a lawyer, Bilas should know. Intent matters. And there was clearly intent.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Unfortunately, there's never any way to know which Cam will show up.
    The main hallmark of being a good player is to CONSISTENTLY play well, not to show flashes of it here and there. Cam is not a good player yet. He might become one in the future, but that potential improvement won’t help Duke this season.

Duke Postgame Press Conference

Now I should probably mention that given the recent discussion of bald links, my first thought was, "But what about those times I post just a link to the postgame presser?"

I have to be honest, I don't think any commentary on my part is necessary (and I usually post it before I get a chance to finish watching it). The reasons for the link being pertinent and of interest to the board are obvious. It's just a convenience thing for the other readers. Maybe the posting guidelines should reflect that sort of thing as a contrasting example.

Edit: Although the video doesn't appear to be working at the moment

Double edit: working again
    Last edited by BLPOG; 03-15-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Duke Postgame Press Conference

Now I should probably mention that given the recent discussion of bald links, my first thought was, "But what about those times I post just a link to the postgame presser?"

I have to be honest, I don't think any commentary on my part is necessary (and I usually post it before I get a chance to finish watching it). The reasons for the link being pertinent and of interest to the board are obvious. It's just a convenience thing for the other readers. Maybe the posting guidelines should reflect that sort of thing as a contrasting example.

Edit: Although the video doesn't appear to be working at the moment

Double edit: working again
    Very interesting: did RJ make a jab at Coach K when he was walking in that was caught on mic? Also Zion is just cracking up at questions. A different look than our typical, buttoned up teams, no? Are we looser this year? If so, don't know if that's good or bad. More so, a neutral observation.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    One small change in how Zion landed and he tweaks the exact same knee that was just injured.
    The play that really made me catch my breath was in the 1st half when Zion went for an alley-oop from the weak side, and was undercut by a SYR player...was that Howard, too? Zion landed exactly on that same knee, in a stiff, hyper-extended way. It was clear the SYR player made no play on the ball, and the "box out" (such as it was), was terribly weak...it was a frustration move that could've easily led to a re-injury. If that was Howard, then I have little sympathy for him.