Some people will do anything to get into college

Big schools, some mid-level stars in college admission bribery scam:

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2019/...-lori-loughlin

Thankfully Duke not named.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Thankfully Duke not named.
    At some point, you are a big enough school that you don't want these types of posers who buy their way in. If someone can get in on the merits of their family, a parent calls up the President of the University and makes darned well certain their kid gets in

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    At some point, you are a big enough school that you don't want these types of posers who buy their way in. If someone can get in on the merits of their family, a parent calls up the President of the University and makes darned well certain their kid gets in
    Not too long ago Duke was somewhat notorious for being very focused on admitting the children of the rich and famous. I obviously do not know the academic credentials of these students, but it was very well known as Duke built its national reputation in the 80s and into the 90s.

And no school is fully immune from it. The question is at what point the line is considered crossed - the cheating on tests part of this story is what really puts it over the top for me. Not to get PPB, but it is pretty well accepted that Jared Kushner's parents bought his way into Harvard (I'm sure there are plenty of Democrats who did the same thing).

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Not too long ago Duke was somewhat notorious for being very focused on admitting the children of the rich and famous. I obviously do not know the academic credentials of these students, but it was very well known as Duke built its national reputation in the 80s and into the 90s.

And no school is fully immune from it. The question is at what point the line is considered crossed - the cheating on tests part of this story is what really puts it over the top for me. Not to get PPB, but it is pretty well accepted that Jared Kushner's parents bought his way into Harvard (I'm sure there are plenty of Democrats who did the same thing).
    Whoah! How do you know Kushner is a Republican?

(Praise be to wikipedia! It made me think, and sure enough Kushner was a life-long Democrat. Maybe you should change your post to 'plenty of Republicans did the same thing'. )