Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Adidas scandal latest

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...rruption-trial

Things are about to get really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

People I know who have ties to the SEC...seem to think Will Wade is too dumb to walk across the street.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

I'm less interested in Sean Miller's testimony (although hearing his story about the reported "at least 13 phone calls [between Dawkins' cell and] a cell number belonging to Sean Miller ... from May 3, 2017, to July 2, 2017," all of which lasted longer than 5 minutes, would be very interesting), than I am in hearing the wiretaps/seeing the transcripts -- in particular to know whether there is any wiretap evidence to corroborate any of:

(i) Brian Bowen Sr's testimony that Dawkins said former UA Assistant (now UCSB coach) offered $50,000 for Bowen to sign with Arizona;

(ii) the assertion by defense counsel at the last trial that, as described in the linked article, "Arizona offered -- or was prepared to offer -- $150,000 for ... Nassir Little to sign with the Wildcats"; and/or

(iii) the controversial Mark Schlabach report (linked below) that asserted, among other things, that there were calls "between ... Miller and ... Dawkins, ... in which Miller discussed paying $100,000 to ensure star freshman Deandre Ayton signed with the Wildcats," and that "[w]hen Dawkins asked Miller if he should work with ... Book Richardson to finalize their agreement, Miller told Dawkins he should deal directly with him when it came to money." http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-investigation.

Sean Miller's "denial" of the Schlabach report was, to my mind, overly specific -- i.e., he focused the denial on (1) not actually paying for any recruit, (2) not discussing "paying Deandre Ayton" with Dawkins and (3) that he "never even met or spoke [with] Dawkins until after Deandre publicly announced he was coming to" Arizona. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-investigation.

There was some facial plausibility to Miller's specific denial in that most of the reports had the wiretapping being done in in the Spring/Summer of 2017, whereas Ayton had committed to Arizona in the Fall of 2016.

One of the theories being floated at the time was the Schlabach's story was correct in most respects, but wrong on the player involved -- that it was about Brian Bowen, not Ayton.

Given the narrow crafting of Miller's denial, each of the statements he made in it could, I believe, be technically reconciled with a version of Schlabach's story being correct in everything except it not being about Ayton. If that's true, then I think Miller would be done, since he has tried to portray his prior denial as a wholesale denial of any wrongdoing at all -- a discussion about paying to get Bowen (or anyone) to commit to Arizona has to be a fireable offense whether or not such payment was actually made or the player actually landed.

On the other hand, if there were a tape of such a call, then I can't figure out why Dawkins wouldn't have tried to use it at the first trial -- and none of the recordings/transcripts released by the Govt. after the trial contain anything as explicit as was reported on by Schlabach.

I guess we will see who was telling the truth -- I'd feared all of this would be buried by Richardson's taking a plea.

According to reports, Sean Miller has been notified by the FBI that he will be subpoenaed (along with LSU coach Will Wade). Are we really sure Mannion is going to stand by his commitment?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    According to reports, Sean Miller has been notified by the FBI that he will be subpoenaed (along with LSU coach Will Wade). Are we really sure Mannion is going to stand by his commitment?
    Maybe. Maybe not.

Sean, is that you singing?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

quibble

I read that Miller and Wade were subpoenaed by the defendants in the federal case, not the FBI. They'll be asked to support the defendants' cases, not the feds. But they will be subject to cross-examination by the feds.

I am sure someone is going to explain to me how so many stud recruits have chosen to commit to Arizona for next season... I'm waiting...

-Jason "there has to be at least a 25% chance Sean Miller never coaches again after this trial is over, right?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am sure someone is going to explain to me how so many stud recruits have chosen to commit to Arizona for next season... I'm waiting...
    Studs like.... https://sport.one/the-top-10-hottest...eading-squads/

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason "there has to be at least a 25% chance Sean Miller never coaches again after this trial is over, right?" Evans
    I’m sure Calhoun would hire him as an assistant...

Boy, you sure hate to see that situation happen to the kid. But I'll take what I can get, if I can get it.

Certainly, UNC did with Nassir Little.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I read that Miller and Wade were subpoenaed by the defendants in the federal case, not the FBI. They'll be asked to support the defendants' cases, not the feds. But they will be subject to cross-examination by the feds.
    The problem for them is, at least from what I read, that the defense case is that everyone does this and everyone knows about it so if the schools know, they are not being defrauded. It is not at all clear that the judge will let them try this and it creates an uncomfortable situation for the defense witnesses. Will be interesting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SueAxe View Post
    The problem for them is, at least from what I read, that the defense case is that everyone does this and everyone knows about it so if the schools know, they are not being defrauded. It is not at all clear that the judge will let them try this and it creates an uncomfortable situation for the defense witnesses. Will be interesting.
    Very interesting. Might be a good defense against criminal charges, but the NCAA won't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Very interesting. Might be a good defense against criminal charges, but the NCAA won't like it.
    Maybe they'll punish ND and Missouri again.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I believe Cal would out bid Calhoun ! And Slick Rick would "Out-Benefit" Cal !

Will anyone throw Nike or UnderArmor under the bus ? At times, a sinking ship has a tendency to cry wolf ! The old "Everyone is doing it" defense.
    It surely will be interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Will anyone throw Nike or UnderArmor under the bus ? At times, a sinking ship has a tendency to cry wolf ! The old "Everyone is doing it" defense.

maybe they'll use the cheat's defense and say all students were given thousands of dollars to attend their schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    (ii) the assertion by defense counsel at the last trial that, as described in the linked article, "Arizona offered -- or was prepared to offer -- $150,000 for ... Nassir Little to sign with the Wildcats"
    Any UNC-CHeat fan will tell you that since an agent claimed that Kansas was willing to pay Zion, and Zion came to Duke, the ONLY logical conclusion is that Duke paid Zion even more. There is no other possible explanation. But as far as Little, the situation is completely different. He knew nothing and chose the CHeats because he needed to go to the cleanest program he could find. (Yes, their fans actually think this.)

Any UNC-CHeat fan will tell you that since an agent claimed that Kansas was willing to pay Zion, and Zion came to Duke, the ONLY logical conclusion is that Duke paid Zion even more. There is no other possible explanation. But as far as Little, the situation is completely different. He knew nothing and chose the CHeats because he needed to go to the cleanest program he could find. (Yes, their fans actually think this.)
    Twisted logic. But maybe that’s what they learn in their “classes”.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Twisted logic. But maybe that’s what they learn in their “classes”.
    Since a Kansas fan said something to me about Zion's shoe contract that got him to Duke, it isn't just unc fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Very interesting points. With Nike, they are a massive market leader, especially in basketball. Do they need to pay kids/programs? With UA, I can absolutely see them paying players, but maybe they have more of a moral compass (based on what I’ve heard of their executive team, maybe not).

IMO, we haven’t scratched the surface of this yet. Plenty more shoe company scandals to come!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club