Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    He's 7-9 v. Bennett at UVA. A tough win in tough conditions, but the better team won. It puts us in the driver's seat for a 1-4/5/12/13 matchup in the ACC Tournament, which is a big advantage this year.
    That 1-seed REALLY pays off in the semis and finals. Assuming some sort of Duke/UVa/UNC top 3, not only does the 1 seed avoid a tougher matchup in the semis, they also have a rest advantage over their finals opponent who is also coming off of a likely WAR.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Of course the ankle injuries to Little and Cam had nothing to do with the result. Nothing at all. You know, the way Cam and Tre going down didn't impact Duke Syracuse...
    That is still a impressive win for UVA. Cam only left for couple of minutes and Little does not have a great game when he is on the court...missing shots and defense position...

Do you suggest Diakite leave Duke UVA game early as injure actually cost UVA to win the game on last Saturday? As Cam and Little today, I don't think that play much factor to affect the game result

My takeaway:

UNC does not really have any reliable one on one scorer. Coby White and Cam Johnson are better catch and shoot then create offense by themselves. I am surprised it takes 2/3 of game for Tony Bennett to realize Kehion Clark is black whole in defense end and really cannot defend Coby White/Cam Johnson take the shots.

But anyway, in the last 10 minutes, it is right move to take down Clark and put Keys in. Roy clearly did not learn anything from Duke VS Virginia game. Don't switch defense for Kyle Guy's screen, which leave him some good 3 pts shot in the end...

It is good result for Duke. This game also prove my impression... Luke Maye is totally useless if you put athletic big on him... Cam Johnson is a catch up shooter with limited ball handing and create offense... Switch defense when he try to take the screen...Coby White does not really have great touch near the rim or wiggle in dribble... I think Tre can take him, just let him take all the challenging 3 pt shot...

UNC is not really impressed today, we just need to take care the defense rebound...They did get 18 off rebounds today over Virginia... We need our guys to fully protect the rebound...

I missed the game but checked IC to find out what happened. Apparently the refs gave the game to the Hoos.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I missed the game but checked IC to find out what happened. Apparently the refs gave the game to the Hoos.
    Hahahahaha of course they did. Cheats got cheated I tell you. Cheatery

The sounds of silence from the Heels crowd in the last minute as defeat sunk in was delicious.

They beat themselves. That's all you have to know.

I'm just glad MJ, the Best Basketball Player in History (tm) was there.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    That game really turned on the fraction of a second the ball stayed too long on Coby White's miracle heave.
    One might say that if they had a true point guard, he would have realized the shot clock was winding down rather than dribbling aimlessly 30 feet from the basket when there were three seconds left. They almost had another shot clock expire with under a minute left, as they rebounded an air ball and didn't realize it hadn't reset. So maybe a little bad luck that he didn't get it off in time but also White should take some responsibility for being in that position to begin with. On UVA's last possession they ran off a good 15-20 seconds before UNC fouled them, they clearly had no idea what they were supposed to do.

I did not realize that Black and Manley were also unavailable for this game. They're not starters or anything, but they do play some minutes. It would be like us not having Goldwire and Delaurier, and then on top of that we lose Jack White for most of the game and Cam Reddish for several minutes down the stretch. Maybe not as significant as having to play the whole game without Tre (which we did), but still a factor.

I watched the first half at the airport and then went dark for an hour in flight.

The smile I had on reentry was delightful.

- Chillin

I saw 3 things tonight while watching the UNC-UVA game that I'm wondering if anyone else saw.

If need be, I'll go through my recording to get names, but here they are:
    • At one point, either Jerome or Guy drive the right side of the key and get called for a charge. The Carolina player goes down and appears to lift his leg in an attempt to trip Jerome/Guy. Mrs. BandAlum83 saw this immediately. The replays clearly showed it. No call.
    • Second half, UNC gets called for clock shot violation. UNC player retrieves the ball visibly upset and chucks the ball nearly into the stands. The ref at the end line has to jump to get even a piece of it. No technical foul called. this happened at the under 8:00 time out, I think. I expected to come back from the break and see a UVA player on the FT l line.
    • Late in the game, under 2:00, I think. UVA with ball and up by 2. Jerome or Guy with the ball on the 3 pt line. UVA player cuts to the corner, receives pass and takes uncontested 3. How does UNC even begin to give up a shot like that in that situation?

I really do hate the Heels. They looked very unimpressive tonight. GTH.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    [*]Late in the game, under 2:00, I think. UVA with ball and up by 2. Jerome or Guy with the ball on the 3 pt line. UVA player cuts to the corner, receives pass and takes uncontested 3. How does UNC even begin to give up a shot like that in that situation?
    I watched the replay of that play a couple times. Kenny Williams is guarding Guy, who runs through the lane and then cuts to the corner while Williams has his head turned. Williams then gets screened by his own man, preventing him from closing out on Guy who drills the wide open three. Williams was also late closing out on the following possession (I think) where Guy hit the three and also got fouled by Williams who got there late. (LOL at Bilas claiming Guy leaned in and initiated the contact, he couldn't be more wrong about that).

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I watched the replay of that play a couple times. Kenny Williams is guarding Guy, who runs through the lane and then cuts to the corner while Williams has his head turned. Williams then gets screened by his own man, preventing him from closing out on Guy who drills the wide open three. Williams was also late closing out on the following possession (I think) where Guy hit the three and also got fouled by Williams who got there late. (LOL at Bilas claiming Guy leaned in and initiated the contact, he couldn't be more wrong about that).
    Thanks so much for responding and breaking it down for me. I was watching with the wife, or I would have rewound and slo-mo'd that one.

If those plays are typical of Williams ability on the defensive end, we should be able to exploit that. I imaging White will guard Trey, Williams would be on Cam, maybe?

Johnson on RJ?

Maye on Zion, LOL???

I am so much less fearful of UNC after seeing tonight's game.

Quote Originally Posted by shjiang View Post
    That is still a impressive win for UVA. Cam only left for couple of minutes and Little does not have a great game when he is on the court...missing shots and defense position...

Do you suggest Diakite leave Duke UVA game early as injure actually cost UVA to win the game on last Saturday? As Cam and Little today, I don't think that play much factor to affect the game result
    No, very different situations for a number of reasons, and you've jumped into an on going discussion and are not aware of the context. I said pre game that I thought the turn around/ rest situation for Virginia was much more brutal than on the Heels for about three reasons. I listed those reasons. As such I highly doubted Virginia would win.

After the game, a couple of snippy comments were made at me regarding my prediction and the reasons for it. Of course, I didn't know that Little would go down early and Johnson would go down later. Had I known that (nobody could know) I would have certainly said that could nullify the travel/time deficit UVa was facing.

Virginia was tired, emotionally and physically, and it was a disadvantage. The injuries to the Heels were a disadvantage the other way that countered them. So to overlook the injuries to UNC and then mock the fatigue situation for UVa is simply a disingenuous analysis of what really happened.

What really happened is that a very tired Virginia team gutted out a tremendous win...one that very well might not have happened without two turned ankles.

As for Diakite and the game on Saturday, it was certainly a factor. But no, i would not say it cost UVa the win. Those were two teams coming into a big time game with ample rest and time to be emotionally charged up. Totally different situation than tonight.

This year's UVA team couldn't lose to a 16 seed if they tried, way too good, offensively (and defensively). They should be Elite 8 bound, at the very least. Feel the same for our Devils.

Heels have impressed more than I expected. Sad, but true. ACC, very strong at the top, pretty good in the middle and very weak at the bottom, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    This year's UVA team couldn't lose to a 16 seed if they tried, way too good, offensively (and defensively). They should be Elite 8 bound, at the very least. Feel the same for our Devils.

Heels have impressed more than I expected. Sad, but true. ACC, very strong at the top, pretty good in the middle and very weak at the bottom, imo.
    We have a long history of eating our young...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    One might say that if they had a true point guard, he would have realized the shot clock was winding down rather than dribbling aimlessly 30 feet from the basket when there were three seconds left. They almost had another shot clock expire with under a minute left, as they rebounded an air ball and didn't realize it hadn't reset. So maybe a little bad luck that he didn't get it off in time but also White should take some responsibility for being in that position to begin with. On UVA's last possession they ran off a good 15-20 seconds before UNC fouled them, they clearly had no idea what they were supposed to do.

I did not realize that Black and Manley were also unavailable for this game. They're not starters or anything, but they do play some minutes. It would be like us not having Goldwire and Delaurier, and then on top of that we lose Jack White for most of the game and Cam Reddish for several minutes down the stretch. Maybe not as significant as having to play the whole game without Tre (which we did), but still a factor.
    Agree on both your points above...I would say that the waving off of that three was a turning point...tough for the Heels to take....though your analysis of it is correct in that it was self inflicted. Emotionally they would've been better off had it simply missed and UVa got the rebound. Funny how stuff like that impacts the ebb and flow of a game, and an outcome.

And yeah, a total of four injuries for the Heels was a big factor.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    ACC, very strong at the top, pretty good in the middle and very weak at the bottom, imo.
    Completely agree with this. The lower middle of the conference has really disappointed this season. To have 6 teams that are just completely out of it at this point is (to my recollection) an unusually high number. We may have 6 ACC teams that finish with an under .500 regular season record - not good.

Quote Originally Posted by W&LHoo View Post
    Not that I wouldn’t have - strongly - preferred to have beaten y’all, but it certainly makes our remaining schedule scenarios simpler to game out when our only losses are courtesy of Duke.
    You should *much* prefer beating the hated h**ls. We're the good guys. We don't cheat. Remember that.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    And the had to overcome Luke Maye’s 4 points on 2 of 10 shooting.
    I'll vote for him for MOTM. Hell, make it acc POTW. Maybe even national POTW.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.