Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I agree totally that it fit the description of a flagrant foul and wasn't called. Salt cam down on Zion from behind him with no attempt to get the ball and it was a hard foul.
    In 2011 the NCAA changed the term 'intention foul" to "flagrant foul". The previous term was confusing. It does not matter whether the defender was going for the ball or made contact with the ball. A flagrant foul 1 is a foul that "involves excessive or severe contact during a live ball...". So it is just whether the officials deem the contact excessive. It is somewhat subjective. IMO it was the correct call regarding Cam. Salt's contact was probably excessive, but Zion is so big and strong he doesn't get the benefit of those calls.
    Last edited by -jk; 02-10-2019 at 07:20 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I know Cam’s banked 3 had to be luck but it really looked intentional and the angle he had is the best possible angle to shoot a bank shot imo.
    I can count on one hand the 3 point shots I've seen intentionally banked in.

And it wasn't actually counting; It was spelling one of the following letters, H-O-R-S-E.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    As discussed elsewhere, the UVA game was the lowest % win likelihood of all the games in this stretch for Duke, so the likelihood of winning all the rest just went up a lot!!! That being said, there are still plenty of tough games coming up, particularly on Tuesday and later at UNCheaters. I would have added @VT to that list, but withe uncertainty surrounding 2 of their best players, that might not be as difficult as previously believed.
    Yep, we now have roughly a 1 in 3 chance of winning all of the six-game stretch and a 2 in 3 chance of surviving it with no more than 1 loss.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    A few posters may have opinions against Sampson, but I don't believe that is a consensus view here. I like him but am sorry his pro career got derailed by injuries.
    IMHO, where the H is somewhere in sagerouse's garage, I think sage has it right. I grew up in Va. Beach and was a big Ralph Sampson fan as a teenager. He was special/freakish kind of like Zion is now. A fluid 7'4" player who could jump? Wow. If I remember right, he had a good NBA career but it would have been great if he didn't have health issues as an NBA player (bad knees, I think).

Although I am impressed with their results and appreciate how they carry themselves, I'm also someone that doesn't care for their style of play. I've stated before that I think a big part of their defense being so good is uncalled blocking fouls (they do a great job of not fouling with their hands which is why I think they get away with the constant body fouls).

I've seen 2 responses where people said we got calls last night. You were watching a different game than I. At one point on the chat, I just posted "How many are they going to get" after yet another uncalled, physical play. The response was "all of them". The phantom walk on Tre to kill some momentum was telling. Sometimes it's not how many bad calls a team gets but the timing...

I agree on the fouling point. I remember one foul on Hunter the announcers were arguing against that I thought was a clear foul - I thought he bumped him a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    IMHO, where the H is somewhere in sagerouse's garage, I think sage has it right. I grew up in Va. Beach and was a big Ralph Sampson fan as a teenager. He was special/freakish kind of like Zion is now. A fluid 7'4" player who could jump? Wow. If I remember right, he had a good NBA career but it would have been great if he didn't have health issues as an NBA player (bad knees, I think).

Although I am impressed with their results and appreciate how they carry themselves, I'm also someone that doesn't care for their style of play. I've stated before that I think a big part of their defense being so good is uncalled blocking fouls (they do a great job of not fouling with their hands which is why I think they get away with the constant body fouls).

I've seen 2 responses where people said we got calls last night. You were watching a different game than I. At one point on the chat, I just posted "How many are they going to get" after yet another uncalled, physical play. The response was "all of them". The phantom walk on Tre to kill some momentum was telling. Sometimes it's not how many bad calls a team gets but the timing...

Quote Originally Posted by Ballboy1998 View Post
    Given that my avatar here is a still of that block, it is obviously an all time favorite of mine. But THE BLOCK is from the 2001 national championship game.
    It's funny, to me THE BLOCK was the the forte block...not to undersell the block in the Natty but the "chasing him down like he was a gazelle on the horizon (excuse if I'm misremembering) sold me on it.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

For anyone who missed Salt’s free throw, it was bad! Here’s a replay:

I've watched that Salt free throw at least 50 times. I also giggled at least 50 times. Worst free throw attempt in many seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    He was an astonishingly fluid big, long before that was a thing for bigs! (Of course, “bigs” are a relic these days..)

I still remember his first game at Cameron, when folks were tossing frisbees back and forth (back when crazies had both sides) and one landed atop the PA system (back when there was a single PA system - sheesh, I’m old!). “Ralph will get it <clap. clap. clap, clap, clap>”. Alas, we got it, over and over again.

-jk
    I was part of the halftime entertainment of the Duke-UVA game my freshman year, so spring 1981 - I bring it up because it was freestyle frisbee. There were 3 or 4 pairs of us spread out across the court and we played until the teams came out for 2nd half warmups. I had a chance then to stand next to Ralph when he came out on the court and my 5'7" barely came up to his waist.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    How is it that a UVA fan can't like or appreciate what he did for the program?
    I think DarkstarWahoo was talking about Duke fans not liking Sampson, not Virginia fans.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    No matter that he never took them to the final 4.
    Virginia made the Final Four in 1981, Sampson's sophomore season.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I can count on one hand the 3 point shots I've seen intentionally banked in.

And it wasn't actually counting; It was spelling one of the following letters, H-O-R-S-E.
    A friend of mine is actually quite good at purposely banking in three-pointers from the wing. It's all what you practice, I suppose, and he does it in games (albeit in pickup games).

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    I had a chance then to stand next to Ralph when he came out on the court and my 5'7" barely came up to his waist.
    I got the same opportunity once in pre-game warmups. With the same result.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    I was part of the halftime entertainment of the Duke-UVA game my freshman year, so spring 1981 - I bring it up because it was freestyle frisbee. There were 3 or 4 pairs of us spread out across the court and we played until the teams came out for 2nd half warmups. I had a chance then to stand next to Ralph when he came out on the court and my 5'7" barely came up to his waist.
    I remember the Frisbee players! Some of us joked that this must be the first basketball game most of these guys have ever attended.

Ralph killed us, but we beat UVA in my senior year - thanks to (may need help on this) Doug McNeely hitting the biggest shots of his entire career.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think DarkstarWahoo was talking about Duke fans not liking Sampson, not Virginia fans.

You are correct on both counts.

On the Salt free throw...my soon-to-be-9-year-old’s team was on the receiving end of a lopsided loss earlier that day, with many ugly free throws. And even he looked at me after that shot and said “What was he doing?”

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    On the Salt free throw...my soon-to-be-9-year-old’s team was on the receiving end of a lopsided loss earlier that day, with many ugly free throws. And even he looked at me after that shot and said “What was he doing?”
    I hope you told him the truth - "playing catch with the backboard!"
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    I've watched that Salt free throw at least 50 times. I also giggled at least 50 times. Worst free throw attempt in many seasons.
    when it happened i was wondering if he was trying to miss so bad that UVA would have a chance to get the Oboard, but without hitting the rim it was called a dead ball, so no good on that attempt if it was so.

My wife is fairly athletic, but doesn’t play basketball. One day she came out and tried to shoot free throws. They were all so close, but smacking the back iron. I told her to try to put a little more “arc” in her shot.

It looked exactly like that. I wonder if he got the same tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post

You're correct, of course. I've mentally blocked out that they were beaten by UNC in the Final Four that year. UGH.

Quote Originally Posted by UVa1981 View Post
    What makes this Duke edition different from recent prior editions is intensity: the team plays hard, particularly on defense, much more like Duke editions from the 1990s.
    I’m not really sure where you’re coming from on this. I think Duke teams have played exceptionally hard since the day Coach K took over as head coach. There may have been a couple editions in the OAD era that have played with slightly less intensity, but that’s as far as it goes. I think your eyes have been deceiving you.

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    My wife is fairly athletic, but doesn’t play basketball. One day she came out and tried to shoot free throws. They were all so close, but smacking the back iron. I told her to try to put a little more “arc” in her shot.

It looked exactly like that. I wonder if he got the same tip.
    Considering that his first attempt on that same trip was an equally horrendous line drive that missed, that might have been the exact adjustment he tried to make. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.