Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    Played great basketball on both ends of the court tonight. Poised and confident on offense, aware and aggressive on defense.

Our defense was fantastic tonight. For all the talk about our great 3 pt shooting, the degree of difficulty of the made shots by the wahoos was very high. They had to hit a lot of tough shots to keep this close.

Jerome is very fortunate for the rough handling he got away with against RJ. There was definitely some home cooking that helped him out there.

And I know this horse has been beaten to death ad nauseam...but Mr Bilas continues his streak of finding some calls that “should have gone against Duke” and never ones on the opponent for us.
    Lots of folks here have been hating on Vitale..Well, you wanted Bilas, you got him. Great win against a great team on the road. Virginia can beat UNC, after all, they nearly lost to Miami at their place today..

Game was so good, I’m Going to rewatch it this afternoon. Not a single minute lacked intensity from both teams. Great college basketball game.

😎

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    Just an amazing all-around game from us.

I admit I was worried when UVA cut the lead to four at the half despite our otherworldly 3 point shooting to start the game. Even though Diakite's exit was unfortunate for the Hoos, I actually thought having Kihei Clark replace him to give UVA a small three guard lineup opened up their offense and put Duke in more dicey situations defensively. Really have to give the opponent credit for making 7 of 14 threes and finding other ways to carve up our defense starting with about five minutes left in the first half and continuing into a good portion of the second half. That is an outstanding team.

With that said, I loved how we responded once RJ cooled off and UVA cut into the lead. Our defense bent but didn't break, and despite them shutting down Zion for much of the second and keeping RJ out of the paint, we created good shots for ourselves and took advantage of any transition opportunities that presented themselves. Tre, Marques and especially Cam looked extremely poised against one of the most elite defenses in the country. Only the turnovers and the spotty FT shooting kept this from being a 15 or 20 point game.

A few games ago, mulling over our inconsistent patches against lesser opponents at home, I found myself hoping that Tre's shooting would improve, that Bolden could contribute a little more on both ends, and that Cam would be less reckless with the ball and more confident on offense. Tonight, I saw all that. If I'm being really greedy, the only thing left I could ask for is slightly more from the bench. But it's hard to complain after an effort like tonight on the road. Kudos to the team.

(P.S. Cam's deflections on defense continue to be an underappreciated highlight of his improving game. The announcers oohed and aahed over Tre's hit ahead pass to RJ for a dunk after a UVA miss, but they missed Cam stripping Brandon Key after his offensive rebound to set it all up. Seems like Cam is good for two or three of those deflections or steals a game at this point).
    One stat I haven't seen mentioned directly is that Cam had zero turnovers in this game. He didn't have any of his looseness with the ball that we have seen in the past. Good going!

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    You guys are so classy. This must have been a tough loss for you. I was prepared for a loss, given your team's prowess. We shot lights out, and both teams played tough. It is a privilege to see two superior college teams go at it, with great offenses and defenses, and with sportsmanship.

At around the 11 minute mark of the 2nd half, Kyle Guy was called for a foul against a driving Tre Jones. It wasn't a hard foul, but Kyle went over to Tre to help lift him up from the court. Just a small thing, perhaps, but indicative of your team's culture. I hope we win, but if we don't, I hope that you guys do.
    Guy also walked toward Zion on the floor once with his hand extended as if to help him up. Z was surrounded by teammates before Guy could help but I couldn’t help but wonder how that would have gone. Sort of like trying to see-saw with my kids when they were young, the weight disparity just doesn’t work.

Zion's subpar game

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    ...The only player I thought had a sub-par (for him) game was Zion and that’s only because he’s raised our expectations ridiculously high. .
    When some people say that Zion isn't quite ready to take over the NBA, this is the kind of game that they will point to. In the game he did, Hubie was somewhat less gushing about Zion than a lot of people because he knows the NBA game so well, and Rondo even said something about Zion still having to develop. I think that's what we saw against UVa: A whole lot less highlight reel offense when quality physical defenders put their minds to stopping him. On the other hand a defense designed to stop him gives up something else and just as we (fortunately) were able to, NBA offenses (even the Knicks) will exploit that. Zion will have to be reckoned with even when he isn't on Sports Center. And even in "subpar" games he'll still be on Sports Center; nothing about the NBA game would keep him from making that block (it will forever be "THE BLOCK"). I think he'll be just fine.

And speaking of the Knicks. Does anyone doubt that there will be another Patrick Ewing lottery fix this year?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedev_92 View Post
    I’m soo tired of Jay Bilas & his need to point out where he thinks the refs make a call that benefits Duke. I watched several games today & nobody goes back & shows replays of multiple individual fouls to make a point like Nilas does. It really takes away from the game & emphasizes something & helps to create controversy. I wish espn would take him off of Duke games (I know that won’t happen)

What a great win for the team today!!
    GO DUKE!
    I know he sometimes seems to overcompensate, but the commentary was so much better than when Vitale is involved that I could actually keep from muting the telecast.

Well

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    When it comes to our incredible three point shooting today, I’ll say the same thing that I said when we were 3-43: the average is the average because it is the average. LGD GTHc!
    No need to get all mean about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Lots of folks here have been hating on Vitale..Well, you wanted Bilas, you got him. Great win against a great team on the road. Virginia can beat UNC, after all, they nearly lost to Miami at their place today..
    I would take Bilas every time rather than Vitale.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I love when the replay shows that he's completely wrong with what he claims to have seen, he'll do something like claim the rule is wrong and should be changed.

I think he thinks he's never been wrong in his life.
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    After the game I managed to get down into the tunnels under jpj to pop out near the bus. Bilas walked by intent on his phone and I just managed a "Hey Jay, go get 'em" innocuous hello. He blew me off and that's the second time this season. He did it in Toronto, too.,

You've been warned Jay. Not nice to ignore someone in Duke blue who's only saying hello.
    We need a replay of that to show him how wrong he is. Again.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by 84Duke View Post
    I don’t know. He was pretty self-deprecating about Ralph Sampson dunking all over him. What no one did mention was that Ralph called the Duke big men dirty players after a 43-point Virginia win in the 1983 ACC Tournament.
    Here's to never forgetting.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I know he sometimes seems to overcompensate, but the commentary was so much better than when Vitale is involved that I could actually keep from muting the telecast.
    In a nation of 350 million people, it shouldn't be just Bilas or Vitale.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    And that why there’s Bill Walton and Dan Dakich ....
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by MB in MD View Post
    When some people say that Zion isn't quite ready to take over the NBA, this is the kind of game that they will point to. In the game he did, Hubie was somewhat less gushing about Zion than a lot of people because he knows the NBA game so well, and Rondo even said something about Zion still having to develop. I think that's what we saw against UVa: A whole lot less highlight reel offense when quality physical defenders put their minds to stopping him. On the other hand a defense designed to stop him gives up something else and just as we (fortunately) were able to, NBA offenses (even the Knicks) will exploit that. Zion will have to be reckoned with even when he isn't on Sports Center. And even in "subpar" games he'll still be on Sports Center; nothing about the NBA game would keep him from making that block (it will forever be "THE BLOCK"). I think he'll be just fine.

And speaking of the Knicks. Does anyone doubt that there will be another Patrick Ewing lottery fix this year?
    Zion scored 18 points on just 8 FGA. He had 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, and 3 blocks. Against the second-best team in college b-ball. That is a pretty obscene stat line. Little about that game suggests Zion isn’t ready for success in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    And that why there’s Bill Walton and Dan Dakich ...
    I actually like Dakich when he did our ND (?) game a couple years back. Walton is insufferable for those who actually care about the game I'd imagine (except for UCLA fans given his clear on air bias), but can be oddly entertaining for those who don't really care as we continually question "what the heck is he saying???" Honestly, I personally think CBS made a good decision with the threesome of Grant, Nantz, and Rafferty. They just call the game and don't bother me as commentators at all. Why can't others do that?

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    The shots that the Wahoos made were contested and very difficult shots...as has been pointed out, if they don’t hit a high % of low % shots, its a 20 pt win.

If you think this wasn’t a great defensive effort..your standards are much higher than mine.
    I agree with this....Virginia beat a lot of very good defense by draining incredibly difficult shots. That offset a little bit of Duke's extremely hot three point shooting, most of which was done while wide open due to UVa's strategy.

Zion’s block

Loved Zion’s explanation of the block: “Coach said no 3s," Williamson explained. "And I was trying to get out there and make him drive, but he shot it so I blocked it."

That simple, huh?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...te-short-title

Zion has 3 blocks and they all 3 were huge. The block against Salt was also spectacular because he reacted to the ball and elevated so quickly. They replayed that block during the game and it was amazing.

https://youtu.be/DJGNvEmJ-e0

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I keep volunteering to call Duke games, rather unsuccessfully. Not one call from ESPN or a major network. 🤪

devildeac or mattman might tell you its because I have a face for radio. 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Zion has 3 blocks and they all 3 were huge. The block against Salt was also spectacular because he reacted to the ball and elevated so quickly. They replayed that block during the game and it was amazing.

https://youtu.be/DJGNvEmJ-e0
    Even one he didn’t get had a big impact on the game. Guy was driving down the lane late in the game and was going for a layup. Here comes Zion with his momentum going upward. I could almost see the “oh crap” face on Guy. Guy wanted to pass out of the layup but there wasn’t anyone near by. With the ball stuck to his hip, Guy fired off a pass to noone. Eventually it rolled to JD or Bolden. Zion forced a turnover because Guy had a thought of a block coming.

In the pregame, I tried to estimate how Duke would score enough points last night to beat UVA assuming we held them to 70 points. Well, we did hold them to 71 but never in my wildest imagination did I suspect that we would have such a night from three point land.

I expected RJ and Zion to combine for more than 40 based on 65 minutes played. They actually had 44 efficient points and played 76 total minutes.

I expected Cam to deliver 15 points from 35+ minutes and he delivered 17 points in 36 minutes

I expected Tre also to chip in offensively with 8 points in 35+ minutes and he really did yoeman's serive with 13 points in 40 minutes

I expected Bolden to give us 5 points in 30 minutes and he did give us 5 points but in 24 minutes

I expected Javin and Jack to give us 2 points betweeen them in unspecified minutes and they gave us 2 points in 24 minutes

I expected Alex to get into the game and get us well over 70 by giving us 4 points.

My takeaways are that I should have known that coach K would shorten the rotation and play our top players unless they were in foul trouble or very tired. Between RJ, Tree, Cam and Zion, our top guys were only out of the game for 8 minutes total. Bolden was out for 16 minutes so Jack and Javin got the call with Jack being a better defender than AOC getting to fill in for both Cam and Zion. Tre's offensive contribution was even better than I expected with the point distribution not a lot different than it has been of late, just scored in a different way. Having him chip in like he did bodes well for the team going forward. Now we just need to avoid injuries.