Page 8 of 122 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    I think Kessler is right on the edge of 1 and done or not. What he could potentially do is reclass, redshirt a year to work on his body (technically his HS senior year), play a year and be done.
    Why would he redshirt? The only thing Redshirting does is preserve a year of eligibility down the line. A kid like Kessler is almost certainly expecting to be in school for one or maybe two years. Why would he waste one of those years sitting on the bench and not competing at all in games? This makes zero sense.

Baker is doing it because he expects to be a 4-year player at Duke and he would rather those 4 years be 2019/20-2022/23 versus 2018/19-2021/22.

I said it earlier and CDu agrees, if Kessler reclassifies it is not something good for Duke (unless he does not mind being part of a very, very crowded frontcourt in 2019-20).

-Jason "frankly, given his family's ties to UGA, I would be shocked if Kessler does not go to the Dawgs" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Why would he redshirt? The only thing Redshirting does is preserve a year of eligibility down the line. A kid like Kessler is almost certainly expecting to be in school for one or maybe two years. Why would he waste one of those years sitting on the bench and not competing at all in games? This makes zero sense.

Baker is doing it because he expects to be a 4-year player at Duke and he would rather those 4 years be 2019/20-2022/23 versus 2018/19-2021/22.

I said it earlier and CDu agrees, if Kessler reclassifies it is not something good for Duke (unless he does not mind being part of a very, very crowded frontcourt in 2019-20).

-Jason "frankly, given his family's ties to UGA, I would be shocked if Kessler does not go to the Dawgs" Evans
    Thats a great point, no reason to redshirt.

Why would it be “not something good for Duke”? I think it might be better than getting Stewart it Hurt. If we had signed Stewart, we probably lose Bolden who is starting to play better and better. Even Hurt could chase Bolden away since Carey would then probably play more at the 5. Kessler wouldn’t scare Bolden away, could come in play a smaller role for a year while he works on his strength and conditioning and then be ready to start his sophomore year when we loose Bolden, Delaurier, Carey and White. A sophomore Kessler is better than a freshman Kessler, right? I kinda think, it’s the best outcome we can hope for since there doesn’t seem to be any quality long term bigs left in the 2019 class. (I like Hurt a lot I think we need a smaller role big that will be around in 2021 more)

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Why would it be “not something good for Duke”? I think it might be better than getting Stewart it Hurt. If we had signed Stewart, we probably lose Bolden who is starting to play better and better. Even Hurt could chase Bolden away since Carey would then probably play more at the 5. Kessler wouldn’t scare Bolden away, could come in play a smaller role for a year while he works on his strength and conditioning and then be ready to start his sophomore year when we loose Bolden, Delaurier, Carey and White. A sophomore Kessler is better than a freshman Kessler, right? I kinda think, it’s the best outcome we can hope for since there doesn’t seem to be any quality long term bigs left in the 2019 class. (I like Hurt a lot I think we need a smaller role big that will be around in 2021 more)
    I agree with you.

Kessler is not a unanamous top 5 or even top 10 recruit. I remember a few years ago a certain big man, who is currently on our roster, was surely going to be a one and done. He was also similarly ranked.

I suspect that Baker will be a 3 year player as he will graduate in 3 years and I expect he will be a very good player his senior year- good enough to go pro in the US or abroad. He may stay 4 years if he has a chance to get a jersey retired or hit some Duke record.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    You guys make a really good point. Kessler's ranking is not all that dissimilar to Baker (#13 in the 2019 class and then dropped to about 40 when he joined the 2018 class). I suppose it is possible Kessler would not mind playing a relatively small role during his reclassified freshman season. Generally, when kids reclass, they expect to play a good bit and many of them do it so they can get to the NBA faster, but Kessler may not be thinking that way. Without knowing what is in his head, it is really hard to project whether a reclass would be good or bad for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I suspect that Baker will be a 3 year player as he will graduate in 3 years and I expect he will be a very good player his senior year- good enough to go pro in the US or abroad. He may stay 4 years if he has a chance to get a jersey retired or hit some Duke record.
    That is entirely possible but I feel like the theory in redshirting him this year was that he might stay 4 years. If there was some degree of confidence that he would only be a 2 or 3 year player, there is no reason to redshirt him this season. I suppose it is also possible that K realized Baker would never see meaningful minutes for us with O'Connell, White, and so many guys ahead of him and so K decided to redshirt Joey just in case things fall into place in a way that allows us to squeeze a 4th year out of him. Hey, no one ever thought Bolden would be here for his junior and likely senior season when he first enrolled either.

-Jason "I sorta want Baker to be here for only a couple seasons though as it would mean he had blossomed into a heck of a player" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Dont lose sight of the NBA/Players contract.

You guys make a really good point. Kessler's ranking is not all that dissimilar to Baker (#13 in the 2019 class and then dropped to about 40 when he joined the 2018 class). I suppose it is possible Kessler would not mind playing a relatively small role during his reclassified freshman season. Generally, when kids reclass, they expect to play a good bit and many of them do it so they can get to the NBA faster, but Kessler may not be thinking that way. Without knowing what is in his head, it is really hard to project whether a reclass would be good or bad for Duke.

That is entirely possible but I feel like the theory in redshirting him this year was that he might stay 4 years. If there was some degree of confidence that he would only be a 2 or 3 year player, there is no reason to redshirt him this season. I suppose it is also possible that K realized Baker would never see meaningful minutes for us with O'Connell, White, and so many guys ahead of him and so K decided to redshirt Joey just in case things fall into place in a way that allows us to squeeze a 4th year out of him. Hey, no one ever thought Bolden would be here for his junior and likely senior season when he first enrolled either.

-Jason "I sorta want Baker to be here for only a couple seasons though as it would mean he had blossomed into a heck of a player" Evans
    Baker may be the team's Daniel Jones. I agree that he would have not seen much playing time this year- although the kid has a very nice shooting stroke and with his size- he could be a nice addition. K was seeing a lot from Jack in practice as a shooter at the start of year and figured he was going to be a reliable threat from deep. The hope is that Jack regains his early shooting form and confidence- otherwise K may need to pull the redshirt and let Baker have his Freshman Grayson moment.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Baker may be the team's Daniel Jones. I agree that he would have not seen much playing time this year- although the kid has a very nice shooting stroke and with his size- he could be a nice addition. K was seeing a lot from Jack in practice as a shooter at the start of year and figured he was going to be a reliable threat from deep. The hope is that Jack regains his early shooting form and confidence- otherwise K may need to pull the redshirt and let Baker have his Freshman Grayson moment.
    Assuming the absence of a significant run of long-term injuries, Joey Baker will not play this season.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Assuming the absence of a significant run of long-term injuries, Joey Baker will not play this season.
    I see a reclass redshirt as an opportunity to spend a year at the college level instead of the HS level without the expectation or pressure of paying in games for a youngster who might not be ready for ACC competition physically, but is a genuine NBA prospect.

For prospects that need seasoning and aren’t automatic OADs, it seems like it could make sense for the reasons I posted previously.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Did you miss the coaching staff try to go for Stewart??????

Can argue if Stewart was the 4 or if it would be Carey, but don't act. And there have been pretty public rumblings that Bolden might move on next year to another program (although Adam and John have been pretty miss on predicting what Bolden will do).
    Wait, what? This again? Did I miss these public rumblings, or is it the same old speculation because Bolden doesn't smile enough on the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Wait, what? This again? Did I miss these public rumblings, or is it the same old speculation because Bolden doesn't smile enough on the bench?
    I've not heard these rumblings at all. There has been some speculation that he might enter the NBA draft, but a transfer seems highly unlikely unless he has busted his hump in school and is on course to graduate this spring (and it is still somewhat unlikely in that case as well, it is not like he is not getting playing time at Duke right now).

Why are we talking about Bolden in the 2020 thread? Unless the worst happens and he gets injured, there's no chance he is on the roster in 2020.

Top 40 2020 SF Henry Coleman from Richmond will be taking an unofficial visit to Duke today. Coleman is being recruited by a ton of ACC and SEC teams, including UVA and Va Tech, and he supposedly has an offer from Kansas. He's a high flying dunker who has good handle but not a great shot. He does not have a Duke offer yet.

I've not heard these rumblings at all. There has been some speculation that he might enter the NBA draft, but a transfer seems highly unlikely unless he has busted his hump in school and is on course to graduate this spring (and it is still somewhat unlikely in that case as well, it is not like he is not getting playing time at Duke right now).
    I have heard he has considered entering the pre-draft camp - But not hire an agent. Which may be Bolden's best option.

Top 40 2020 SF Henry Coleman from Richmond will be taking an unofficial visit to Duke today. Coleman is being recruited by a ton of ACC and SEC teams, including UVA and Va Tech, and he supposedly has an offer from Kansas. He's a high flying dunker who has good handle but not a great shot. He does not have a Duke offer yet.
    I've seen him listed anywhere from 6'6" to 6'8" and is ranked as 69th (nice) on the 247Sports Composite but 133rd on the 247Sports ranking for the Class of 2020. If he's Top 40 on another list and receiving attention from Kansas and other high-major teams, maybe he's a fast-rising junior.

Coleman seems like an ideal candidate for the Duke frontcourt as a long-term prospect, a la Javin DeLaurier and Jack White. He's got great athleticism and good size for the college 4. If he grows another couple inches in the next couple years, even better. I hope he enjoys his visit this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I've seen him listed anywhere from 6'6" to 6'8" and is ranked as 69th (nice) on the 247Sports Composite but 133rd on the 247Sports ranking for the Class of 2020. If he's Top 40 on another list and receiving attention from Kansas and other high-major teams, maybe he's a fast-rising junior.
    ESPN has him #41.
    He is #43 in Rivals and their ranking indicates he moved up 30 spots since their last ranking, so he seems like the very definition of a fast-riser.

Duke showing interest in PG Sharife Cooper

Duke appears to be showing interest in 2020 PG Sharife Cooper of Marietta, Georgia, according to Adam Zagoria. There sure are a lot of Georgia recruits in this class. Cooper is 6'0" tall and has attracted the interest from Auburn and Kentucky, among others. He was recently named MVP of the City of Palms Tournament, Hoop Hall Classic, Bass Pro Shops Tournament, and more. He also seems close with Brandon Boston, Jr. The young man has an excellent shot and vision as well as "moxie" and every other adjective attributed to the basketball players of shorter stature. There might be a visit this spring from the young man.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Duke appears to be showing interest in 2020 PG Sharife Cooper of Marietta, Georgia, according to Adam Zagoria. There sure are a lot of Georgia recruits in this class. Cooper is 6'0" tall and has attracted the interest from Auburn and Kentucky, among others. He was recently named MVP of the City of Palms Tournament, Hoop Hall Classic, Bass Pro Shops Tournament, and more. He also seems close with Brandon Boston, Jr. The young man has an excellent shot and vision as well as "moxie" and every other adjective attributed to the basketball players of shorter stature. There might be a visit this spring from the young man.
    At 5'8" i must laugh at the thought of a 6'0" guy being of "shorter" stature, but I get you.
    Last edited by BandAlum83; 01-28-2019 at 02:42 PM. Reason: OK, I admit that's 5'8" in shoes. 5'7"and 3/4"

Here is the young man (right), his family, and the head coach of the men's basketball team. Apparently, the young man also boasts a 3.5 GPA. He looks like a Duke kid, or maybe it's just the smile and the glasses.