Page 923 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 423823873913921922923924925933973102314231923 ... LastLast
Results 18,441 to 18,460 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

From 12/11/16:

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    From 1/16/16:

Bourbon Barrel Aged Midnight Brue 2016-Brueprint Brewing Company

Guess who got this bottle for me last month ?

Excellent summary/description, as usual. I didn't think it was so thick and thought the head was a bit thin as was the body and perhaps tasted a bit of dark chocolate, too. Whiskey notes are very smooth, maybe with a bit of vanilla, too. I'll guess IBUs of about 50 and the ABV is 8.5%, drinking a bit more boozey than that but on the low end for the imperial stout style. I think this was $12 for the capped bomber that I sipped over 2 nights. Likely their first effort at barrel-aging for their Bruetopian Series and a very high quality one, too.

Thanks again to fuse.

From last PM:

BBA Midnight Brue 2016-Brueprint Brewing

After darn near a year in the fuse not-so-overloaded-anymore beer fridge.

Batting in the 5th spot. Same appearance as above but more whiskey-ish aromas and boozier on the palate, along with the expected dark fruits, a bit of coffee and a dollop of molasses. A bit thinner than Silent Night but still highly enjoyable.

And yes, there was a cornucopia of snacks, treats, desserts to accompany the tastings. They included a thick apple-berry relish, candied/spiced almonds, various cheeses and crackers, pistachio bars, salted caramel/chocolate Moravian cookies along with milk chocolate iced and dark chocolate brownies. I know I missed a few other items-those were just the ones I tasted .
    From 1/10/19:

Bourbon Barrel-Aged Midnight Brue-Brueprint Brewing

Pint can ($4.50?) I bought on my own (!) and sipped over an hour last week. I think the recipe has changed a bit as the IBUs (35) are printed on the can now and the ABV is a bit increased at 9.2%, though not noticeably boozier. In fact, I thought this was a bit less bourbon-y than the BBA Edinbrue Scotch-style ale of theirs I had last week, too. Still a lot of dark chocolate and some vanilla, oak and toasted coconut on the palate, accompanying the expected lightly-charred grains. I'd rank this in the middle of all I've sipped from their barrel-aged Bruetopian series over the last years.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Sow (canned on 12/14/2018 16:04:43)-Brewery Bhavana

Simple table beer printed on the can and listed as an Abbey single on the website. Not so simple after all.

Twelve ounces ($2.09) poured vigorously into a pint glass with a moderate, fizzy head that disappeared quickly. Color was pale straw. There must be some wheat in the grain bill because orange, bubblegum and clove aromas waft above the glass. My word, there's lemon on the palate in addition to the citrus, spice and gum, plus some apple, pear and a swizzle of honey. I'll guess IBUs about 20 from the Czech Saaz hops and the ABV is a highly crushable 4.2%. For a light-bodied ale, this is very flavorful and highly impressive.

From the Southern Pines Brewing Company website:

"PARTISAN ROCK
    RUSSIAN IMPERIAL STOUT
    A hazy IPA brewed with loads of lactose and oats, then hopped with Citra, Idaho 7, and Mosaic Hops. Conditioned on pineapple puree, Madagascar vanilla beans, and coconut!

11.5% ABV 65 IBU"

The above resides right next to this:

"PINEAPPLE THIEF
    IPA - NEW ENGLAND
    A hazy IPA brewed with loads of lactose and oats, then hopped with Citra, Idaho 7, and Mosaic Hops. Conditioned on pineapple puree, Madagascar vanilla beans, and coconut!

6.5% ABV 38 IBU"

I suspect *someone* in marketing might need a reminder that proof-reading is still important.

The Partisan Rock I sipped last PM tasted nothing like a milkshake IPA.

From the Southern Pines Brewing Company website:

"PARTISAN ROCK
    RUSSIAN IMPERIAL STOUT

11.5% ABV 65 IBU"

The above resides right next to this:

"PINEAPPLE THIEF
    IPA - NEW ENGLAND

6.5% ABV 38 IBU"

I suspect *someone* in marketing might need a reminder that proof-reading is still important.

The Partisan Rock I sipped last PM tasted nothing like a milkshake IPA.
    Clearly devildeac it is not the website that is incorrect- your tastebuds are merely flawed 🙄🤣🍻

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Clearly devildeac it is not the website that is incorrect- your tastebuds are merely flawed 🙄🤣🍻
    LOL-Upon further review, I guess it's possible that imperial stout *could* have been a chocolate milkshake IPA.

LOL-Upon further review, I guess it's possible that imperial stout *could* have been a chocolate milkshake IPA.

A very Hershey statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    A very Hershey statement.
    Morsel or less.

From last PM:

Partisan Rock (11/08/18 printed on bottom of can)-Southern Pines Brewing Company

Pint can (about $4) bought last week after passing it over last month. Why? It looked and sounded real tasty and SPBC has made some very good quality high gravity ales the last couple years and this was no different.

Poured aggressively and an oily (almost) black hue appeared in my snifter with a generous, creamy, latte-like head. Stuff smelled and tasted like liquid, dark chocolate fudge with some dark caramel and plum notes and hints of black strap molasses and coffee. IBUs in line with the style at 65 and the ABV was 11.5%, pushing the envelope for a non-barreled imperial stout. This would have been a nice share beer but I was quite content to sip for an hour and then amble upstairs for a nice winter's sleep.

Sprout (canned on 12/14/2018 09:19:07)-Brewery Bhavana

Sneaky fig dubbel ale (not quite sure what they mean by "sneaky" )

Poured vigorously from a ($2.29 ?) 12 ounce can into an oversized Ommegang tulip tonight. Medium to dark brown color and a bit cloudy with a modest, tan, fizzy head that disappeared fairly quickly. The nose and tastes rivaled many of the traditional Belgian dubbels I've sipped over the last couple decades. Quite the compliment. Dark, dried fruits take the lead and are followed by medium/dark brown sugar, a bit of rum and very mild herbal, earthy bitterness. I'll guess IBUs about 30 and the ABV is 7.6%. I'm not sure I could tell the added figs but the aromas and flavors were superb. Highly recommended.

Bloom (canned on 12/14/2018 12:51:17)-Brewery Bhavana

Dry cardamom tripel

Poured from a 12 ounce can ($2.59 I think) into a large, Ommegang tulip. Moderate fizzy head that dissipated quickly and left a small amount of Belgian lace. Orange-yellow and cloudy in appearance, there were aromas of spice, orange and honey. Tasting impressions included mild curry (), orange juice and zest, light brown sugar and a pinch of black pepper with the only oddity the curry which likely was the cardamom and my sensors failed. I'll guess IBUs about 30 with the ABV at 8.1%. I believe this would be an outstanding pairing with almost anything on their menu:

https://brewerybhavana.com/dim-sum/

I'm continuing to find excellent reasons why this was listed as one of the top new restaurants (and breweries?) in the US in 2017:

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/...167246387.html

Knee Deep Brewing Stoutello Chocolate Hazelnut Stout

Another of the beers I acquired over New Year's weekend from the nice little bottle shop in Southport, NC. Knee Deep is a brewery out of Auburn, California (northwest of Sacramento). The proprietor of the bottle shop described this beer as "liquid Nutella." Pretty apt description. It's brewed with cacao nibs and "natural flavors," and also contains lactose, which adds some smoothness to the mouthfeel. IBUs at 40, and ABV clocks in at a sessionable 6%. This could make a really good breakfast stout and, of course, you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning (not that I did that today, of course).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Another of the beers I acquired over New Year's weekend from the nice little bottle shop in Southport, NC. Knee Deep is a brewery out of Auburn, California (northwest of Sacramento). The proprietor of the bottle shop described this beer as "liquid Nutella." Pretty apt description. It's brewed with cacao nibs and "natural flavors," and also contains lactose, which adds some smoothness to the mouthfeel. IBUs at 40, and ABV clocks in at a sessionable 6%. This could make a really good breakfast stout and, of course, you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning (not that I did that today, of course).
    Oooh, would have made a nice comparison to MooTella, Terrapin's imperial milk stout from their WnB series.

I got a Knee Deep product in my January beer club 4 pack last week. I don't think I've ever tasted one of their beers before and I believe you've inspired me to sample that one with dinner tonight.

Slooow Mo (no date on can)-Knee Deep Brewing Company

100% Mosaic hopped IPA.

Item #1 from my January beer club 4 pack.

Pour was a light, yellow-copper with a moderate, frothy head after a vigorous exit from the 12 ounce can. There are multiple tropical fruit scents and tastes including pineapple, papaya, guava with hints of (non-tropical) melons and stone fruits. Very mild bitterness with IBUs of 41 and standard IPA ABV at 6.5%. This was very happy with some grilled salmon (basted with olive oil and Emeril's spices) and roasted Yukon Gold potatoes.

Looks like we have 2 good reviews of Knee Deep brews after Tripping William's Stoutello.

Reports of mattman in the area. No tulip or snifter is safe.

Which states had most craft brewery growth since 2015? Forbes magazine will inform you:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/garysto.../#2b9d640241b3

Hint: They're not the states you'd expect.

(NC is #4 at 37% .)

Hazy Little Thing IPA (bottom of can dots read: PKGD 112118M 15:02)-Sierra Nevada Brewing Company

Stolen, err, borrowed from our older daughter's fridge for a weekend dog-siting fee .

"Family owned, operated and argued over"

Their description:

"As brewers, we get the privilege to sample our beers straight from the tanks in all their raw glory. Some beers need a little polishing to get ready to go out into the world, while others—the hop-heavy, rowdy, crowd-pleasers—should just be left alone. We wanted to share this brewery-only treat with you, so we present this Hazy Little Thing, our unfiltered, unprocessed IPA, straight from the tanks and into the can."

Tasty stuff for a nightcap last PM.

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a boring, standard pint glass. Appearance was a moderately flocculent, orange-yellow with a medium-sized, foamy head. Smells like a tropical-citrus juice blend and tastes like one, too. Pineapple, guava, papaya, orange and mango come to mind. I guess it best fits into the NEIPA niche with IBUs of 40 and ABV of 6.7%. This would have paired nicely with our salmon, "super foods" salad and roasted potatoes dinner earlier in the evening. Ingredients (theri caps, not mine):

YEAST: Ale yeast
    BITTERING HOPS: Magnum
    FINISHING HOPS: Citra, Comet, Simcoe, El Dorado, Mosaic
    MALTS: Two-row Pale, Munich, Oats, Wheat

If you ever get a chance to check out Trophy in Raleigh, it is some of the best in the area! Also, Bond Brothers in Cary ranks as one of my faves.

Quote Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
    If you ever get a chance to check out Trophy in Raleigh, it is some of the best in the area! Also, Bond Brothers in Cary ranks as one of my faves.
    Been there and been there. Agreed and agreed. Have you had either of the Trophy Heavyweight Champs? (They may have more but appear to have just 2 available now.)

WTH? No celebratory brews to report?

WTH? No celebratory brews to report?

Patience, grasshoppa. Ask and you shall receive (although timing was such that none was actually "celebratory").

(1) Pregame: Burial's Shadowclock Pilsner. I go back and forth between whether Burial or Haw River is NC's best brewery. This pils was as flavorful as any I have had in this style. Pours a bright gold, with a nice, foamy white head. I usually find pilsner's to have a sharpness to them, and this had a little bit, but it was much more "rounded" than most. Their website claims aromas of wildflower, honey, and lemon, which is tough to dispute. Saaz, Saphir, and Tettnang hops, with IBUs of 35 and ABV at 5.5% And excellent way to start warming up for the game action.

(2) First Half: Ommegang Hennepin Saison. I have had this beer previously. The color and head are a lot like the Shadowclock, but the flavor profile is vastly different. It is brewed with ginger, coriander, and orange peel, making it spicy and fruity at the same time. ABV at 7.7%, so a bit of gravity to it.

(3) Second Half: Bombshell Ubernight Stout: Brewed with locally roasted coffee and vanilla, this was a delicious dessert beer. I think it may be the first I have had from Bombshell (located in Holly Springs, NC). Pours a nice, dark color with a thin tan head. The vanilla is very prevalent on the nose and palate, and really smooths this beer out. In fact, it's so easy-drinking at 9.6% ABV that, if you're not careful, an Uber might be needed at the conclusion of the night. (I'm sorry; I'll see my way to the door.)

Are my answers to your satisfaction?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."