Page 21 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
    I defer to the mods and I agree with the sentiment. If they would like to edit or delete my post I have no problem with that. I certainly sidetracked the discussion

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I hope you're being a bit tongue-in-cheek, otherwise you really don't understand.
    My joke was that if a majority of a nation's population is 65 and above (at or near retirement age and well beyond reproductive age) and "on the dole", that country is going to collapse quickly.

A majority of voters passed the Leave referendum. The statement was made that "it was the old folks on the dole that voted Leave, screwing the rest of the country" (white was in the piece quoted). I would understand the argument that they are to blame if they represented a majority of the population. They don't. ~18% of the British population is 65 or above.

P.M. May survives no confidence vote 325-306. So ball is still in her court to disclose her Plan B (on Monday I think).

Edit to add: from the flow chart I posted a link to yesterday, it looks like the options are:

1. No deal Brexit (the default if nothing is worked out, and the goal of some hardline Tories)
    2. Second vote on May's deal (after that thumping, cannot imagine this is a realistic option)
    3. Major renegotiation of the deal (EU to this point has been strong in saying this is not an option, and presumably the EU would want something more from the UK in return for changes to the Irish backstop which have already been rejected -- I think some Brexiteers want a deal that includes unicorns)
    4. Another referendum (May is opposed, Corbyn has been inconsistent)
    5. Call a general election (who knows what that would turn up, and not sure why the Tories would do it)

So it seems to me that the most obvious off-ramp from a no-deal Brexit is another referendum: "Would you rather stay in the EU, or leave without an agreement?" Because that seems to be where things stand unless Brussels signals a willingness to renegotiate. Certainly, "leave without a deal" was not part of the original referendum as I recall because it contemplated a negotiated withdrawal. (Could be wrong about that last point though).
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 01-16-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Some of the responses are just as hilarious!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    There is a great Brexit "Simon's Cat" gif that is out there, that I tried to upload last night.
    Question for those that know the answer, when I tried to upload the .gif, it was converted to a .jpeg, so it no longer worked. Any idea on why and the workaround?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    There is a great Brexit "Simon's Cat" gif that is out there, that I tried to upload last night.
    Question for those that know the answer, when I tried to upload the .gif, it was converted to a .jpeg, so it no longer worked. Any idea on why and the workaround?
    I imagine the forum software does that to make the file smaller (jpeg is a better compression algorithm) and to avoid animated gifs

The solution is to link it from another site and not to upload it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I imagine the forum software does that to make the file smaller (jpeg is a better compression algorithm) and to avoid animated gifs

The solution is to link it from another site and not to upload it.
    Tried that. The image is only 374 x 300, but still get a "remote file too large" msg. Oh well.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

All those imply calculations and planning. Brexit is more like a person walking into traffic while looking at one’s phone and expecting the cars to stop for them and then getting mad when they don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    All those imply calculations and planning. Brexit is more like a person walking into traffic while looking at one’s phone and expecting the cars to stop for them and then getting mad when they don’t.
    The Nigel Farage's and Boris Johnson's of the world that promised unicorns and free candy really oversold Brexit. I was in the UK about two weeks before the vote, and the busses had ads on the side promising some 50 million pounds in cash influx to the country. Leave, they promised, and we will have new/better trade deals with all our partners ready to go by the time the Brexit date hit. We will have great access to the Euro market without the nasty bits we don't like.

It was snake oil from the beginning, and as soon as it passed all those pushers scurried away from their promises and blamed P.M. May for failing to negotiate the unobtainable.

At base, the Brexit referendum was put up by P.M. Cameron to appease his own back-benchers that wanted out of the EU. No one expected it to pass, and no one had a serious workable plan as to how it could be implemented. It's like wanting to sky dive, and then trying to figure out for the first time how parachutes are worn and operated as you plummet towards the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    I proposed the maximum voting age. I'm middle aged and own my own house. While I was joking about the maximum voting age, it was not really a response to Brexit. It's more frustration with a dysfunctional US government whose President is 72, House Majority Leader is 76, and Speaker is 77. I am tired of living in a gerontocracy. I'd like to see a Constitutional amendment that limits the holding of federal office (President, Congress, Federal Judiciary) to age 75 or at least has cognitive fitness tests past that age. I say this because I can start to see the signs of aging in myself, and have seen it my parents who are healthy for their ages and take good care of themselves but have still slowed down considerably in their late 70s and early 80s.

As for Brexit, I quote the following "We find that voting Leave is associated with older age, white ethnicity, low educational attainment, infrequent use of smartphones and the internet, receiving benefits, adverse health and low life satisfaction." So it was the old folks on the dole that voted Leave, screwing the rest of the country which now has to live with this disaster. Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...76268018301320
    There are many, many elderly Brits who have retired to the Continent, especially Spain. They surely voted "Remain," in order to continue their chosen lives.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The Nigel Farage's and Boris Johnson's of the world that promised unicorns and free candy really oversold Brexit. I was in the UK about two weeks before the vote, and the busses had ads on the side promising some 50 million pounds in cash influx to the country. Leave, they promised, and we will have new/better trade deals with all our partners ready to go by the time the Brexit date hit. We will have great access to the Euro market without the nasty bits we don't like.

It was snake oil from the beginning, and as soon as it passed all those pushers scurried away from their promises and blamed P.M. May for failing to negotiate the unobtainable.

At base, the Brexit referendum was put up by P.M. Cameron to appease his own back-benchers that wanted out of the EU. No one expected it to pass, and no one had a serious workable plan as to how it could be implemented. It's like wanting to sky dive, and then trying to figure out for the first time how parachutes are worn and operated as you plummet towards the ground.
    No argument from me accept I think that bus was advertising 350 pounds a week so even more fairy dust. Even the mastermind behind it, Dominic Cummings, said Brexit might be a bad idea after the fact. I have my popcorn ready to watch Brexit: The Uncivil War tomorrow on HBO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    No argument from me accept I think that bus was advertising 350 pounds a week so even more fairy dust. Even the mastermind behind it, Dominic Cummings, said Brexit might be a bad idea after the fact. I have my popcorn ready to watch Brexit: The Uncivil War tomorrow on HBO.
    350 Million pounds. This subject gets me so riled up my thumbs and mind don’t sync well at times.

I have nothing against Labour per se, but I worry that Corbyn is more concerned about how he wrests control from May rather than fixing the Brexit mess, in which he has found himself trying to appease pro and anti Brexit forces in his own party.
    I'd be really impressed if he just took a strong anti Brexit stand, but I don't think he has it in him...hope he proves me wrong.

Corbyn would love a new election, because he thinks his party can get control of government, but I don't think he (or anyone) really wants May's job at the moment because she is in an impossible situation. Brexit is so difficult and it is impossible to make everyone happy. May cannot say it, but I think she really wants another vote where the country changes its mind and votes to remain.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Some of the responses are just as hilarious!
    My favorite:

"Cat, what's your opinion on Britain leaving the EU?"

"I think you should repeatedly ask to leave and then when the door opens, just sit there and stare at it. That's what I would do."
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    My favorite:

"Cat, what's your opinion on Britain leaving the EU?"

"I think you should repeatedly ask to leave and then when the door opens, just sit there and stare at it. That's what I would do."
    Brexit reminds of a time in Agrigento, Sicily when I drove my rental car into a side street that twisted and turned for several blocks, before ending at a portal to a main street with a width of 1.9 meters versus my 2.0 meter car. I had to get one of the locals to back my car up a block or so until there was a space I could turn around..

In other words, there is no acceptable exit plan, and it is virtually impossible to turn around and go back.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Brexit reminds of a time in Agrigento, Sicily when I drove my rental car into a side street that twisted and turned for several blocks, before ending at a portal to a main street with a width of 1.9 meters versus my 2.0 meter car. I had to get one of the locals to back my car up a block or so until there was a space I could turn around..

In other words, there is no acceptable exit plan, and it is virtually impossible to turn around and go back.
    you entered the Italian Automotive Portal!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Corbyn would love a new election, because he thinks his party can get control of government, but I don't think he (or anyone) really wants May's job at the moment because she is in an impossible situation. Brexit is so difficult and it is impossible to make everyone happy. May cannot say it, but I think she really wants another vote where the country changes its mind and votes to remain.
    Corbyn’s first (and it seems only) priority seems to be to gain power after Brexit not before. He doesn’t want to get his hands dirty and prefers May take the fall whether it be a no deal, a bad deal, a second vote or cancellation. He just wants to make sure he is blameless when it’s done.

I’ve been in London for a week and a half now and I can confirm Brexit is a complete dumpster fire. There’s been a lot of talk and then more talk and then more talk but noaction...at all. Considering there’s less than a month to Brexit day the general mode is very British: Keep calm and carry on. I know I’m panicking more then most Londoners and I live in South Carolina. It’s surreal.