Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    I thought Bolden had a very nice game and I don’t think there were as many alley-oops when he was in the game. He is just so long and has been using that length very well on defence. I am enjoying watching him play better more consistently. Very nice to see.

Cam Reddish!

R.J. freaking Barrett!

Perhaps my third-favorite thing about that game-winner (after it going in and after it being made by the guy who needed it most) was Nate James’ reaction. Everyone else goes nuts, including Coach K. But not Nate. He just stands up slowly and starts clapping. One cool customer.

Also, that was a pretty entertaining game. Frustrating at times. But lots of fun. Very happy for both Barrett and Reddish getting big games. A lot of positives, not the least of which being how hard the team fought. Really nice win.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I don't get the angst about a two day turnaround. This is the same environment at the NCAA Tournament and is what K has worked to prepare the team for all year. I find it a good thing.
    gofurman has an excellent explanation in the Syracuse pregame thread. Usually it's not a big deal, but this one is.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Perhaps my third-favorite thing about that game-winner (after it going in and after it being made by the guy who needed it most) was Nate James’ reaction. Everyone else goes nuts, including Coach K. But not Nate. He just stands up slowly and starts clapping. One cool customer.
    Cool indeed, but I don't think "cool" is what was called for here. My favorite thing about it was Zion's reaction - because of what that said about Zion, what it said about how Zion views Cam, what it said about how important this was for Cam, and what it said about the overall chemistry on this team.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 01-13-2019 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    AOC didn't get much PT tonight but when he was out there he looked overmatched. He has the athleticism and quickness but just made too many mistakes. Fla St is an athletic and tough team so it is no big deal, but AOC needs to play better going forward.
    AOC is not strong enough to play against FSU. I expect his playing time to diminish as the season progresses.

This was the first game of the season where I was actually yelling at the TV. Lob City was really getting on my nerves and I definitely uttered several choices words during the early portion of the 2nd half.

There's been quite a bit of talk about Cam's final shot, but lost in his offensive outburst yesterday was that fantastic play where he soared high for a blocked shot and then when the ball came down ripped it away from the FSU player. He made a nice pass to Tre who got the ball ahead to another player for an easy basket.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Cool indeed, but I don't think "cool" is what was called for here. My favorite thing about it was Zion's reaction - because of what that said about Zion, what it said about how Zion views Cam, what it said about how important this was for Cam, and what it said about the overall chemistry on this team.
    Jason Williams and Shane Battier would disagree.

If you don't want to click it's a video of Jay talking about the Gone in 60 Seconds game and how once it became apparent they would win Battier told everybody we're not going to celebrate, just shake their hands and walk off the court. He said it was the best part about that game because it sent that message that they expected to come back and win that game because they knew they were that good.

That's not to say the team shouldn't have celebrated the way they did, every person and every team is different, but as we all know Nate James is a bad*** so I'm going to let him be.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post

If you don't want to click it's a video of Jay talking about the Gone in 60 Seconds game and how once it became apparent they would win Battier told everybody we're not going to celebrate, just shake their hands and walk off the court. He said it was the best part about that game because it sent that message that they expected to come back and win that game because they knew they were that good.

That's not to say the team shouldn't have celebrated the way they did, every person and every team is different, but as we all know Nate James is a bad*** so I'm going to let him be.
    In some ways, a valid analogy to yesterday, but in several KEY ways, totally totally different. Here are just a couple:
    A: while the 54 second comeback was astonishing it did not involve a last second shot. HUGE difference.
    B: the 2001 game involved a very experienced team who had faced many tough roadies....yesterday's game was totally different...very young team in their first ever hostile road environment.
    C: There was no dynamic in the 2001 game that in any way, shape or form was like the Zion being held out dynamic.

apples and oranges....

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Without a serious, threatening injury they don't stop when it's on the defense - by rule. As soon as the ball changes hands, they stop play.

I suspect it's about faked injuries. (c.f., Deano)

-jk
    I guess I don’t understand the explanation - Zion was on the floor in obvious pain. How did the refs know that it wasn’t a serious and/or threatening injury at that point? FSU wasn’t running a fast break so their play would not have been disrupted and play was stopped later in the game for an FSU player. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I don't get the angst about a two day turnaround. This is the same environment at the NCAA Tournament and is what K has worked to prepare the team for all year. I find it a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    gofurman has an excellent explanation in the Syracuse pregame thread. Usually it's not a big deal, but this one is.
    I haven't read gofurman's explanation so apologies if I'm merely restating what s/he says, but in the NCAA Tourney both teams have a two day turnaround. IMHO, that's the difference. It's really an unfair advantage when only one team has it plus they have to travel.

I guess it evens out over the course of the season if every team faces a Sat-Mon turnaround (with travel), but I haven't examined the schedule to know if that's the case (although I doubt it is since this seems to be dictated by TV coverage and only some teams are TV draws).

Edited: I see that the Orange has a two day turnaround too so I stand corrected
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by szstark View Post
    I guess I don’t understand the explanation - Zion was on the floor in obvious pain. How did the refs know that it wasn’t a serious and/or threatening injury at that point? FSU wasn’t running a fast break so their play would not have been disrupted and play was stopped later in the game for an FSU player. What am I missing?
    The fix here is easy, though. If a player is down and can't make it back on D, play is stopped. The offense gets 2 FTs, and that's that. No team is going to fake an injury so the other team can get to the line, and it's no more penal than playing a possession down a man...so players in serious danger aren't going to try to get up simply to avoid it.

You protect player safety and the integrity of the game. It makes just enough sense that the NCAA will never see it happen.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    AOC didn't get much PT tonight but when he was out there he looked overmatched. He has the athleticism and quickness but just made too many mistakes. Fla St is an athletic and tough team so it is no big deal, but AOC needs to play better going forward.
    Coach K really got after him when the team came to the sideline at one point in the game. He had just made a bullet pass to a team mate from about 2 feet. The pass looked like it was aimed at the other player's knees. Alex over thinks things and it get's him into trouble. Outside of spot up 3s, he brings little to the table at this point in the season. Too bad because he seems to have the talent to be a good player. GoDuke!
    Last edited by Bob Green; 01-13-2019 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by szstark View Post
    So long as they're advancing the ball and the player is not in danger (pain doesn't really count), they get to finish their play. The ref decides whether an injury is sufficiently bad to stop play immediately (such as a leg bone sticking out). Almost always if the injured defender is in the back court, they'll let the offense finish the 5 on 4 play. From this year's rule book...

Rule 5, section 11. The game clock and shot clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official:

Art. 6. Suspends play immediately when necessary to protect an injured player

In determining whether to stop play under this Article 6 or Article 7 below, when either an offensive or defensive player appears to be injured, officials should always give priority to protecting the injured player by stopping the game immediately when the health or safety of the player appears to be at issue

Art. 7. Suspends play after the ball is dead or controlled by the injured player’s team or when the opponents complete a play after an opposing player is injured
    a. A play shall be completed when a team withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position

Some great pictures from yesterday's game.
    http://www.goduke.com/PhotoAlbum.dbm...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    The fix here is easy, though. If a player is down and can't make it back on D, play is stopped. The offense gets 2 FTs, and that's that. No team is going to fake an injury so the other team can get to the line, and it's no more penal than playing a possession down a man...so players in serious danger aren't going to try to get up simply to avoid it.

You protect player safety and the integrity of the game. It makes just enough sense that the NCAA will never see it happen.

Nice idea, but in this instance there was a better solution. Call the DARN foul and the the clock would have stopped.

What a tremendous game for the young fellas. RJ was a stud making several big shots when FSU had a chance to put Duke away. And Cam, just a great game and moment for him, I think it will give him confidence going forward.

Speaking of Cam, I spent a portion of my morning reading the ridiculous should Jack White start instead of Cam thread. I knew a thread like that was coming since Cam has struggled some offensively and threads like that and any of the post-game threads after Duke loses are reasons I have limited my time on the boards. What I liked about the thread was 98% of the posters were in the Cam should continue to start column (the correct column by the way) and only two, DukeTrinity11 (the OP) and Steven43, wwanted to bench Cam. I have also noticed that DukeTrinity and Steven have been noticeably absent in the post-FSU game thread, wonder why that is?

Since Duke has been recruiting OAD players some posters expect immediate results from 18/19 years olds based on their recruiting rankings. As Coach K loves to say, each player runs their own race. That means players like Tre, RJ, and Zion come in and have an immediate impact or Jack takes a couple of years to get used to the college game and all those practices guarding Grayson, Frank, Tatum, Giles, Carter, Bagley, Duval, RJ, Zion, Cam allow him to evolve to the player he has been this year. Then there are players like Cam, a great player that has NBA scouts drooling but he has never been a 3rd option on any team he has played on. It has taken him a bit to find his footing with this team. But Cam has not let his offensive woes hurt his overall play like Tatum and Ingram did. Cam has to run his race and yesterday will probably be big step forward for him.

I know we are all fans of Duke and we want to see them succeed but at some point expectations need to be put in check when you are dealing with 18/19 year olds that are at Duke for such a short amount of time. While I enjoyed watching the individual talents of the last couple of years I do not think their chemistry was that great. I think this team is special, they have chemistry that is reminiscent of the championship teams and I think that is what carries them to the Final Four. Enjoy the ride DBR, I think this one ends in Minneapolis.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post

Always thought that was a weird thing for him to say considering if you watch Jay, he tosses the ball way up in the air, raises both arms, and jumps into the arms of a teammate. Not exactly the calm reaction he talks about.

Now that the should Jack start over Cam thread has become obsolete, is it time to start the “Alex should never play because he turned it over and didn’t score against FSU” thread?
    Last edited by NSDukeFan; 01-13-2019 at 02:16 PM. Reason: One start is enough

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I haven't read gofurman's explanation so apologies if I'm merely restating what s/he says, but in the NCAA Tourney both teams have a two day turnaround. IMHO, that's the difference. It's really an unfair advantage when only one team has it plus they have to travel.

I guess it evens out over the course of the season if every team faces a Sat-Mon turnaround (with travel), but I haven't examined the schedule to know if that's the case (although I doubt it is since this seems to be dictated by TV coverage and only some teams are TV draws).

Edited: I see that the Orange has a two day turnaround too so I stand corrected
    It is my understanding that the ACC “rule” for Saturday-Monday duos is that both teams will play both days, and (at least) one game will be at home. This way, the prep time is fairly even.

I believe Thursday night football games are handled similarly in terms of prep time. No team will play Sat-Thurs against a team that has a bye on the previous Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    What a tremendous game for the young fellas. RJ was a stud making several big shots when FSU had a chance to put Duke away. And Cam, just a great game and moment for him, I think it will give him confidence going forward.

Speaking of Cam, I spent a portion of my morning reading the ridiculous should Jack White start instead of Cam thread. I knew a thread like that was coming since Cam has struggled some offensively and threads like that and any of the post-game threads after Duke loses are reasons I have limited my time on the boards. What I liked about the thread was 98% of the posters were in the Cam should continue to start column (the correct column by the way) and only two, DukeTrinity11 (the OP) and Steven43, wwanted to bench Cam. I have also noticed that DukeTrinity and Steven have been noticeably absent in the post-FSU game thread, wonder why that is?

Since Duke has been recruiting OAD players some posters expect immediate results from 18/19 years olds based on their recruiting rankings. As Coach K loves to say, each player runs their own race. That means players like Tre, RJ, and Zion come in and have an immediate impact or Jack takes a couple of years to get used to the college game and all those practices guarding Grayson, Frank, Tatum, Giles, Carter, Bagley, Duval, RJ, Zion, Cam allow him to evolve to the player he has been this year. Then there are players like Cam, a great player that has NBA scouts drooling but he has never been a 3rd option on any team he has played on. It has taken him a bit to find his footing with this team. But Cam has not let his offensive woes hurt his overall play like Tatum and Ingram did. Cam has to run his race and yesterday will probably be big step forward for him.

I know we are all fans of Duke and we want to see them succeed but at some point expectations need to be put in check when you are dealing with 18/19 year olds that are at Duke for such a short amount of time. While I enjoyed watching the individual talents of the last couple of years I do not think their chemistry was that great. I think this team is special, they have chemistry that is reminiscent of the championship teams and I think that is what carries them to the Final Four. Enjoy the ride DBR, I think this one ends in Minneapolis.
    Well stated indeed!