View Poll Results: What will be the result of the Midterms (vote twice!!)

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • GOP holds the House

7 14.58%
  • Dems win the House by less than 12 seats

20 41.67%
  • Dems win the House by 12-25 seats

12 25.00%
  • Dems win the House by 25-38 seats

7 14.58%
  • Dems win the House by 38+ seats

1 2.08%
  • GOP gains 1 or more seats in the Senate (52-48 or more)

29 60.42%
  • GOP holds the same number of seats in the Senate (51-49)

7 14.58%
  • GOP loses seats but still holds the Senate (50-50 with Pence breaking tie)

7 14.58%
  • Dems win the Senate (49-51 or more)

2 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 83 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 1870
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Broward County recounts its ballots — but turns in the results two minutes late. So the recount doesn’t count.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/15/polit...unt/index.html
    That is so damn crazy to me. I understand having a deadline (you can't just let people re-count forever) but invalidating it for two minutes? Pure insanity. Not even partisan insanity...just the kind of insanity that comes from large organizations (private or state).

Incidentally, this kind of thing is exactly why I love working at my current small company after 6 years at a large multinational corporation.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    That is so damn crazy to me. I understand having a deadline (you can't just let people re-count forever) but invalidating it for two minutes? Pure insanity. Not even partisan insanity...just the kind of insanity that comes from large organizations (private or state).

Incidentally, this kind of thing is exactly why I love working at my current small company after 6 years at a large multinational corporation.
    Well, but here is the problem. This is a legal process and you have to have some kind of deadline.

To which some may say, "Ok, fine, but 2 minutes of wiggle room should be allowed."

To which I would reply: "What about 5 minutes? What about 10? What about a half hour? What about 2 hours? What about 16 hours?"

Let's say Broward was allowed to report 2 minutes to late. What if Pinelass then came in 20 minutes too late. And then Seminole came in 4 hours too late.

If there is a legal deadline it must be adhered to. Once you allow the deadline to not be a deadline, it throws the whole process into chaos.

-Jason "if Nelson ends up losing by less than 700 votes, the lost votes from the 2 minute too late Broward recount will become the stuff of legend" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, but here is the problem. This is a legal process and you have to have some kind of deadline.

To which some may say, "Ok, fine, but 2 minutes of wiggle room should be allowed."

To which I would reply: "What about 5 minutes? What about 10? What about a half hour? What about 2 hours? What about 16 hours?"

Let's say Broward was allowed to report 2 minutes to late. What if Pinelass then came in 20 minutes too late. And then Seminole came in 4 hours too late.

If there is a legal deadline it must be adhered to. Once you allow the deadline to not be a deadline, it throws the whole process into chaos.

-Jason "if Nelson ends up losing by less than 700 votes, the lost votes from the 2 minute too late Broward recount will become the stuff of legend" Evans
    Yeah, but I cannot see a judge throwing out legally-cast votes because a beaurocrat screwed up.

You either follow the law as written or you have no law. It is a simple reality. There is no "wiggle room" in a clearly stated deadline. If you don't like it, go to the Legislature which set the rule. It is not for others to create "wiggle room" on their own. We have the same problem administering other law as well.

I am a stickler for the letter of the law and for timeliness and deadlines. However, when people are disenfranchised due to bureaucratic ineptitude, something has gone horribly wrong, either intentionally, or unintentionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I am a stickler for the letter of the law and for timeliness and deadlines. However, when people are disenfranchised due to bureaucratic ineptitude, something has gone horribly wrong, either intentionally, or unintentionally.
    See, that’s the thing.

There are consequences when you miss deadlines. But if the consequences are felt by innocent parties and not you, equity finds a remedy.

If I show up to vote two mi utes after they close the line, I am out of luck. If the counter misses the deadline by two minutes, I cannot imagine the court will discount legally-cast votes because of a government clerk’s dalliance.

See, that’s the thing.

There are consequences when you miss deadlines. But if the consequences are felt by innocent parties and not you, equity finds a remedy.

If I show up to vote two mi utes after they close the line, I am out of luck. If the counter misses the deadline by two minutes, I cannot imagine the court will discount legally-cast votes because of a government clerk’s dalliance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I completely agree and I would expect Nelson or someone to file suit to get those votes counted. I would hope the judge would count them.

But, from the standpoint of the Sec of State's office, once the report was late, it had to be rejected. The SoS deadline must be an absolute (until a court rules otherwise).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I completely agree and I would expect Nelson or someone to file suit to get those votes counted. I would hope the judge would count them.

But, from the standpoint of the Sec of State's office, once the report was late, it had to be rejected. The SoS deadline must be an absolute (until a court rules otherwise).
    I agree with both of these statements.

worth mentioning for a couple of reasons: as the country took a blueward turn this time around, the lone Republican from New England was purged, Peloquin of Maine...noteworthy also
    because he got more votes than his Demo foe, but he did not get 50% of the vote, so ranked voting kicked in, and the Demo won...(as many had suspected would happen).

See, that’s the thing.

Yup.

All the voters did the right stuff.

The recounted votes missing a two-minute deadline isn't their fault.

Votes should be counted.

I'm generally on board with "the rules are the rules for a reason." But the rules were followed here by the people. The government missing a government deadline by a nominal amount of time should not result in the people's good behavior being tossed out.

On the Senate side at least, the overall machine recount in Florida is within the margin for a hand recount, so it will proceed to a hand recount either way, and the numbers that come out of that will prevail at the end of the day. So Broward's missed deadline for turning in the machine recount numbers is kind of irrelevant. Same with Palm Beach County, which never even finished the machine recount (they had to run the ballots separately for each race because the counting software is so outdated, and the machines broke down so they never even finished recounting the one race they started with).

It kind of puts the nail in the coffin for the governor's race though, as that one is outside the hand recount threshold.

This feels like a horror movie. Or maybe it was Jaws the book when the first woman was eaten:

"Oh God! Just let it be over!"

Here is a helpful summary of outstanding races, though as others have noted, I think the Florida governor's race is pretty much done. Excluding that one, there are six House races, two senate and one governor.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...led-races.html

In the meantime, did the rapture happen and the only ones taken were "The Caravan" migrants?

I haven't seen hide nor hair since election day.

Maybe it's like the new TV show Manifest. They will reappear out of nowhere in 2 years.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    On the Senate side at least, the overall machine recount in Florida is within the margin for a hand recount, so it will proceed to a hand recount either way, and the numbers that come out of that will prevail at the end of the day. So Broward's missed deadline for turning in the machine recount numbers is kind of irrelevant. Same with Palm Beach County, which never even finished the machine recount (they had to run the ballots separately for each race because the counting software is so outdated, and the machines broke down so they never even finished recounting the one race they started with).

It kind of puts the nail in the coffin for the governor's race though, as that one is outside the hand recount threshold.
    I wish there were a bipartisan effort to invest in election infrastructure. It's needed everywhere, not just Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I wish there were a bipartisan effort to invest in election infrastructure. It's needed everywhere, not just Florida.
    Yup. Both parties should see the shambolic mess we have right now, and both may arguably be stung by it.

("Shambolic" being stolen from Jeremy Corbyn's attack on Brexit during Prime Minister's Questions Wednesday -- great word)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    In the meantime, did the rapture happen and the only ones taken were "The Caravan" migrants?

I haven't seen hide nor hair since election day.

Maybe it's like the new TV show Manifest. They will reappear out of nowhere in 2 years.
    My guess is that they will be in the limelight again very soon. This will be interesting to watch, although I don't see how there will be a good outcome for anyone involved. People from all sides will likely be pegged as "the bad guys". For right now, the burden appears to be on Mexico.
    Hundreds of people who arrived in Tijuana with the first wave of the migrant caravan planned to spend Wednesday night in a makeshift camp by the Pacific Ocean, steps from the tall border fence that separates Mexico and the United States. But those plans shifted in the evening, after local and state officials opened a temporary shelter – and about 300 local residents gathered by the encampment to demand the migrants leave the upscale Playas de Tijuana neighborhood and go to the facility.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...y3D?li=BBnb7Kz
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

In Georgia, Abrams preparing for possible court challenge to the election:

https://www.apnews.com/7985be43fa4c4422bfece25cb0204307

Take that, Florida. We'll see your recount, and raise you a do-over.

(it's a joke, not a comment on the merits)

In Georgia, Abrams preparing for possible court challenge to the election:

https://www.apnews.com/7985be43fa4c4422bfece25cb0204307

Take that, Florida. We'll see your recount, and raise you a do-over.

(it's a joke, not a comment on the merits)
    I recently was introduced to a neighbor who is a prominent constitutional law professor, specializing in election laws (ironically, it was the night before the election). I do not anticipate seeing him around very much for the next few months - I expect him to be spending a lot of time in the south.

Make it end already!