Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Duke Dunk Report - 2019

What do y’all think: will Zion, the dunking legend, pass Marvin?

Duke Dunk Report - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdevil View Post
    What do y’all think: will Zion, the dunking legend, pass Marvin?
    I say yes. We know we can extrapolate seasonally accurate stats from 20 minutes of Blue/White CTC action.

So let's see - Last year, Marvin averaged 33.9 min/game, played a total of 1118 minutes, and finished with 96 Dunks, averaging 1 Dunk every 11min/39sec.

Zion had 5 dunks in 20 minutes last night, for an average of 1 every 4 minutes. If Zion averages 33.9 minutes/game x 40 games (we are playing 40 this year, right?), that's 1356 minutes. If he dunks every 4 minutes, he should finish with 339. That sounds about right. Might even be a little higher if he gets carried away in a couple of games.

I am a great lover of pies, so putting my pie where my mouth is (literally, I hope), I am willing to bet any taker that Zion will break Marvin's Dunk record this season, even if he doesn't keep up his current average.

PS. Kedsey, this was one of my favorite threads last year. Thanks! It would be great to see a 2018/2019 version.

Quote Originally Posted by BullBlue View Post
    I say yes. We know we can extrapolate seasonally accurate stats from 20 minutes of Blue/White CTC action.

So let's see - Last year, Marvin averaged 33.9 min/game, played a total of 1118 minutes, and finished with 96 Dunks, averaging 1 Dunk every 11min/39sec.

Zion had 5 dunks in 20 minutes last night, for an average of 1 every 4 minutes. If Zion averages 33.9 minutes/game x 40 games (we are playing 40 this year, right?), that's 1356 minutes. If he dunks every 4 minutes, he should finish with 339. That sounds about right. Might even be a little higher if he gets carried away in a couple of games.

I am a great lover of pies, so putting my pie where my mouth is (literally, I hope), I am willing to bet any taker that Zion will break Marvin's Dunk record this season, even if he doesn't keep up his current average.

PS. Kedsey, this was one of my favorite threads last year. Thanks! It would be great to see a 2018/2019 version.
    Ahhhhh, but would you bet a pie that Zion single-handey breaks Duke single season team record for dunks?

Quote Originally Posted by BullBlue View Post
    Once the real games start (i.e., not the exhibition games), I will endeavor to keep this thread going again.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Ahhhhh, but would you bet a pie that Zion single-handey breaks Duke single season team record for dunks?
    I think I would....

Other Zion Metrics

So what is the Over/Under on the number of times Zion will have a dunk on the ESPN Sports Center Top 10. He had one from the Blue/White Scrimmage! I'm thinking that he'll have 14 1/2 regular season (typical over/under number). Looking forward to seeing others getting "Zionized".

Larry
    DevilHorse

I said I'd start this once the real games begin, but I couldn't help myself.

We had 14 dunks against Virginia Union (Zion 4; RJ 4; AOC 2; Marques 2; Cam 1; Jack 1).

During last season's record-setting dunkathon, in the real games (I didn't chart this in the exhibitions), we only reached double-figures twice, in consecutive games in late February, with 14 against Louisville followed by 13 against Syracuse.

So, who knows, that record might not last so long.

(for reference, last year's dunk thread is here)

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    (I didn't chart this in the exhibitions)
    OK, again I couldn't help myself. I just checked, and in last year's exhibitions we had 7 dunks against NW Mo State and 18 (!) dunks against Bowie State.

Guess we'll have to see how we do in the second exhibition game before we can draw (useless) comparisons.

11 Dunks against Ferris State: 4 by Zion; 2 by Marques; 2 by AOC; 1 each by RJ, Cam, and Javin.

That's 25 dunks for the two exhibition games, exactly the same number that last season's team achieved in its two exhibition games.

The race is on.

The dunkathon has begun:

6 dunks against Kentucky: Zion 3; RJ 1; Cam 1; Marques 1.

Considering the vaunted size and supposed defensive ability of UK, not a bad season debut.

I thought Bolden had two dunks - the alley pop from Barrett and the inbounds play

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I thought Bolden had two dunks - the alley pop from Barrett and the inbounds play
    He definitely did.

Dangers of relying on box scores/play-by-play - the official log of the alley oop to Bolden (which, if I'm remembering correctly, came right before the end of the half) is:

GOOD! JUMPER by Marques Bolden [PNT]00:41 ASSIST by R.J. Barrett
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    He definitely did.
    Yeah, I looked at the play by play on GoDuke and it lists the alley oop wrong

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    GOOD! JUMPER by Marques Bolden [PNT]00:41 ASSIST by R.J. Barrett
    In fairness, Bolden did jump on that play
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

So Zion would have to average roughly 2.5 dunks per game or slightly more to tie Bagley’s total (keeping in mind that Bagley missed four games plus most of the MSU game due to injury). Looks like he’s right on pace.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Dangers of relying on box scores/play-by-play...
    Perhaps, but the official box is the only thing I can reasonably rely on. I'm sure we got snookered out of at least one dunk last year too.

Perhaps, but the official box is the only thing I can reasonably rely on. I'm sure we got snookered out of at least one dunk last year too.
    The box score on ncaa.com credits Duke with 7 dunks (including both by Bolden)

https://www.ncaa.com/game/basketball-men/d1/2018/11/06/kentucky-duke/play-by-play

The dunkathon has begun:

6 dunks against Kentucky: Zion 3; RJ 1; Cam 1; Marques 1.

Considering the vaunted size and supposed defensive ability of UK, not a bad season debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    The box score on ncaa.com credits Duke with 7 dunks (including both by Bolden)

https://www.ncaa.com/game/basketball...e/play-by-play
    OK, I will happily fix:

7 dunks against Kentucky: Zion 3; Marques 2; RJ 1; Cam 1.

Seven is exactly the number of dunks we achieved in our first game last season (against Elon, which was not exactly Kentucky).

OK, I will happily fix:

7 dunks against Kentucky: Zion 3; Marques 2; RJ 1; Cam 1.

Seven is exactly the number of dunks we achieved in our first game last season (against Elon, which was not exactly Kentucky).

When I played, if I touched the net when making a layup, it counted as a dunk.

I still didn't have many dunks.