Page 7 of 204 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Isaiah Stewart Liked What He Saw

2019 center Isaiah Stewart was in the attendance at the Champions Classic last night as a guest of Duke. He must have liked what he saw. A few 247 Sports Crystal Ball predictions came in this morning in favor of the big man going to Duke. Stewart is a 4 star recruit by most sources and could be a great 3-4 year player for the Blue Devils. Stewart, along with Armando Bacot and Vernon Carey appear to be the primary big man targets for the Class of 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yep. Another reason for a deeper rotation, but not likely to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    Can there be a separate thread for everyone who wants to advocate/whine about a deeper rotation?
    My quote was October 30 -- 16 days ago.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Is the Duke Staff showing any interest in Balsa Koprivica ? He's a 7' center out of Windermere, Fla. I've heard a little Hi, how are you - but it just piqued my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Is the Duke Staff showing any interest in Balsa Koprivica ? He's a 7' center out of Windermere, Fla. I've heard a little Hi, how are you - but it just piqued my interest.
    I thought we had some initial interest. Doesn't look as though anything's moved forward.

I also think we may be re-thinking our recruiting targets if the NBA changes the OAD rule in 2019. I doubt we'd spend more time on Anthony, Carey, etc. if that happens. They'd almost certainly go to straight to the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    My quote was October 30 -- 16 days ago.
    Mine was October 31. What is your point?

Cole Anthony

Amid the hype of R.J. Barrett and the beginning of the 2017-18 season, it seems we missed an important development in the 2019 recruiting class. Duke has offered #1 PG prospect Cole Anthony, a 6'1" guard from New York, NY. Anthony is considered a top 5 player in his class. He appears to excel in shooting, handling, and facilitating the ball. The kid has some impressive finishes with either hand. If he adds a couple of inches in height in the next year or two, he would fit the ideal PG mold. Duke insider Andrew Slater made a prediction for Anthony to commit to Duke, which is a good sign. Anthony seems to be highly interested in either the Blue Devils or Jayhawks of Kansas at this early juncture.

Requisite Highlight Video
    https://youtu.be/CjKLjzUt9Xw

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Amid the hype of R.J. Barrett and the beginning of the 2017-18 season, it seems we missed an important development in the 2019 recruiting class. Duke has offered #1 PG prospect Cole Anthony, a 6'1" guard from New York, NY. Anthony is considered a top 5 player in his class. He appears to excel in shooting, handling, and facilitating the ball. The kid has some impressive finishes with either hand. If he adds a couple of inches in height in the next year or two, he would fit the ideal PG mold. Duke insider Andrew Slater made a prediction for Anthony to commit to Duke, which is a good sign. Anthony seems to be highly interested in either the Blue Devils or Jayhawks of Kansas at this early juncture.

Requisite Highlight Video
    https://youtu.be/CjKLjzUt9Xw
    His father is former UNLV great Greg Anthony.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Oh my goodness that would be hilarious. Greg Anthony is obviously a super sharp guy and I expect his son fits the profile of what Duke looks for in a player/person/student/family combination, but the lulz factor would be amazing. Could we overcome what might be some hard feelings based on how the battles of '90-'91 were portrayed as good versus evil? (Pretty much the last time anyone ever put Duke on the "good" side of things.)

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Oh my goodness that would be hilarious. Greg Anthony is obviously a super sharp guy and I expect his son fits the profile of what Duke looks for in a player/person/student/family combination, but the lulz factor would be amazing. Could we overcome what might be some hard feelings based on how the battles of '90-'91 were portrayed as good versus evil? (Pretty much the last time anyone ever put Duke on the "good" side of things.)
    Too funny. Would love to have a team comprised of the kids of Greg Anthony, Jalen Rose, Len Elmore and other haters.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    I have heard Anthony speak highly of Duke and Coach K. He also worked with Jim Spanarkel on Nets broadcasts, hopefully Jim got in his ear a bit.

If Cole is anything like his dad, I'm all for him. Anthony was the glue for the Rebs, tough as nails, athletic, smart, great defender. He made Bobby Hurley cry.

In 10 years in the NBA he averaged 4 assists and 1.2 steals per game, in just 20 mpg.

Maybe we don't have Laettner around for the Official Visit.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Greg Anthony is one of the best point guards I've ever seen in college. There are several, but he's on the list. He was a huge part of what made those Vegas teams so good, although Larry Johnson, Augmon, and Hunt sometimes got more hype.

It may not be a popular opinion on this board, but it definitely helped us in 91 when Greg Anthony fouled out near the end of the game. UNLV looked a little lost after that. Maybe we win anyway, but it helped.

I would love to get Cole Anthony. I'm sure Greg knows K is one of the greatest of all time, and that Duke would be what is best for his son.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    It may not be a popular opinion on this board, but it definitely helped us in 91 when Greg Anthony fouled out near the end of the game. UNLV looked a little lost after that. Maybe we win anyway, but it helped.
    Oh, I doubt anyone will disagree with you. Great rotation by Brian Davis. Maybe he should not be there for the official visit.

Most know Greg has also been a long-time announcer for NBA and college games. I've always enjoyed him and found him to be very knowledgeable.

His son Cole is the #1 point guard and top 2-3 overall player in the class.

I'd love to welcome them into the Duke family, and think it's cool that K has a history of losing to and ultimately finally winning against Greg in the 90-91 Final 4's. Those were 2 of the lowest and highest moments in K's career, and certainly one of those career-defining wins throttling him to his first Natty in 91. Losing in a title game is respectable, but the way we lost that one in 90 was anything but.

The question that is begging to be asked... are we recruiting over Tre Jones, or do we expect him to be a OAD?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The question that is begging to be asked... are we recruiting over Tre Jones, or do we expect him to be a OAD?
    I think in this day and age, Duke is doing their due diligence and expecting Jones to be OAD. He’s a top 10 recruit and number 1 pg. He could stick around but if we don’t bring in another pg, we could be left without one.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I don't think we're recruiting over him at all. It sounds like he may be good enough to be OAD. Barrett and Reddish will certainly be OAD. So we'll have plenty of room, and if Jones is still here K has shown plenty of times that we can excel with 2 PG backcourts (Tyus/Quinn; CDu/Jwill; etc.) K was originally recruiting Darius Garland for the 2018 class with Stones, Barrett, and Reddish until Garland started cancelling all the visits. So my guess is that Duke expects there is plenty of room for both in the back-court and also expects that Tre is looking good enough to be OAD like his older brother.

I'm just assuming - certainly more knowledgeable opinions like Oly or Jim are always appreciated!

But I think it's pretty safe to assume that K would not "recruit over" Tre Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    So we'll have plenty of room, and if Jones is still here K has shown plenty of times that we can excel with 2 PG backcourts (Tyus/Quinn; CDu/Jwill; etc.)
    But I think it's pretty safe to assume that K would not "recruit over" Tre Jones.
    Please don't forget his first two point guard backcourt, Johnny Dawkins and Tommy Amaker!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Please don't forget his first two point guard backcourt, Johnny Dawkins and Tommy Amaker!
    Although Johnny played the point his Freshman year, I don't think of Johnny as a PG. He really seemed to be a prototypical college SG. He could slash, spot up and play incredible D.

Am I wrong in that belief?

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Too funny. Would love to have a team comprised of the kids of Greg Anthony, Jalen Rose, Len Elmore and other haters.

I'm holding out for Larry Johnson's kid.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Is Greg Anthony really a Duke hater? I certainly have a much higher opinion of him than the other 2 guys you listed. Greg is one of the best color guys in the business IMO, I think he's extremely professional, does a great job and leaves his biases out of his commentary. Would love to see his kid at Duke.