Do you like the rock and roll music?

Then run, don't walk, to your nearest record store/iTunes terminal and purchase 'Evil Urges,' My Morning Jacket's latest offering. Boy, is it good.

I agree. One of my favorite purchases as of late.

Also, John Mayer's new DVD comes out Tuesday. (Shameless plug.)

Wink The obvious question

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Then run, don't walk, to your nearest record store/iTunes terminal and purchase 'Evil Urges,' My Morning Jacket's latest offering. Boy, is it good.
    Better than Fleetwood Mac?

i'll download it on Limewire...

If its good then I'll tell at least 5 of my friends to go buy it who have money... and possibly 2 of them will tell 5-10 other people total... and so on and so forth.

Have there ever been extensive studies done on viral marketing? I wonder how many people just this initial post's influence will reach...

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    i'll download it on Limewire...

If its good then I'll tell at least 5 of my friends to go buy it who have money... and possibly 2 of them will tell 5-10 other people total... and so on and so forth.
    If it's good *you* should buy it, or at least the songs you like. Unless that part was implied, in which case good luck avoiding the RIAA mafia.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    If it's good *you* should buy it, or at least the songs you like. Unless that part was implied, in which case good luck avoiding the RIAA mafia.
    Or come to Canada where the RIAA mafia has no influuence and where downloading is still perfectly legal.

I like Evil Urges and MMJ alot but have you heard Back Door Slam. 20year old kids from the Isle of Man? Their first album is "Roll Away".

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...1&sa=N&tab=wv#

And they kick Jimi Hendrix's Red House.
    ~rthomas

back door slam remind me of the band in the movie ghost world.

Also a good cover story on MMJ in this month's Paste Magazine. Like the new album, although I do find myself skipping tracks in the middle (the slower stuff). But, it ends particularly well. The last four songs are excellent.

If it doesn't have Miley Cyrus or The Jonas Brothers on it, the chance of it getting any airplay in my house is nil.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Or come to Canada where the RIAA mafia has no influuence and where downloading is still perfectly legal.
    I'll buy it if it is really good out of respect. Or maybe buy a concert ticket

Love the MMJ record. And, if you like that, I suggest Fleet Foxes for a sort of roots-music-meets-Brian-Wilson sound. Awesome stuff when I play the two back-to-back.

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    Love the MMJ record. And, if you like that, I suggest Fleet Foxes for a sort of roots-music-meets-Brian-Wilson sound. Awesome stuff when I play the two back-to-back.
    Love this album. And the more I listen to it, the less I'm able to pin it into any category. It really sounds like nothing else I've heard. I stated in the "Bands You Should Know" thread a few weeks ago, but it's worth repeating: if you have any interest in traditional American folk music, buy the new Fleet Foxes album. I listened to it back-to-back with the "new" Roger McGuinn album (which is really just an abridged version of his box set from a few years ago) and it certainly held up as a wonderful folk record. That's quite an accomplishment from 22-year old indie rockers.

That rock and roll music stuff should be cast down into the nether world with the devil and his imps...

Trivia question: Can anyone name the familiar cultural institution from which I more or less lifted the title of this thread?

mmj

Since I only listen to sattelite radio, I wonder if "I'm amazed" is getting any airplay at all on regular radio? It seems made for it. It really is a good album.

I'm torn

I guess I'm the guy that says their old albums are better. I've always been a big fan of At Dawn, and never really "got" the direction they went in. I guess I don't really have room for many unpredictable bands in my life, I like the Flaming Lips, but for the most part, I prefer bands to make an album as an improvement upon a certain theme, rather than a wild detour. So I've been avoiding the new album so as to not tarnish the good standing of At Dawn.
    But I have been hearing a lot of good buzz about the album, at least parts of it. I've heard the "Prince" song, which I disliked, and I saw them play most of the new tracks at SXSW this year, but it was a little too loud and I was in the middle of my MMJ backlash (brought on partly by a friend that's a little too fanatical).
    Anyway, in summary, I think I'm over my MMJ hating and I'm ready to give them another chance. But I'll be ready on the skip button just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    That rock and roll music stuff should be cast down into the nether world with the devil and his imps...
    A lot of people think this way; you know, that rock and roll is just noise pollution. I disagree though. It's not like it's a riddle. To me, it makes good, good sense.

-AC/EJ