Len Bias Article

ESPN is featuring a very sad story detailing the terrible tragedies of Len Bias and his brother Jay's deaths. I remember well the day I heard the news that Bias was dead. The author notes that Bias has now been dead for as long as he was alive. It's hard to believe.

People forget, but Bias was that good. I remember watching him drop 40 on Duke like it was nothing.
    I used to watch Maryland games that year just to see him play. He wouldn't have been Michael Jordan, but with his leaping ability and that (unblockable) high arching jumper, he would definitely have been an NBA all star. You can be sure with him in the lineup that the Celtics would have won at least one more title, in 1987, and maybe another in 1988.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    People forget, but Bias was that good. ... he would definitely have been an NBA all star. You can be sure with him in the lineup that the Celtics would have won at least one more title, in 1987, and maybe another in 1988.
    I think the point of the article was that you can't be sure. Even his mother seemed to admit that he was fated to fail. Bird and McHale were pretty tough on rookies. They might have straightened him out or they might have made him feel like an outsider and he could have turned back to the less savory side.

I remember that day well, that is the day I knew God was not a Celtics fan.
    Class of Billy King and Chris Moreland

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBill View Post
    I remember that day well, that is the day I knew God was not a Celtics fan.
    The Bias tragedy aside, isn't that a little bit dramatic? I'm sure somewhere there's a downtrodden NBA franchise that hasn't won 17 championships!

With the Dynasty they had for the years prior to 1986, the Bias pick looked to be the beginning of the next run of championships. The team was loaded with veterans and with that new blood, I felt it upset the balance, and the Man Upstairs didn't like the balance being upset.

My opinion at the time.
    Class of Billy King and Chris Moreland