Captive Since 1917, and I Just Freed It!

My ex-father-in-law gave me a cigarette lighter hand-made from artillery shells by a relative in WWI when he was in Europe.

I just unscrewed the cap and noticed a bunch of string/wick inside it. Using a paper clip, I removed the 2 to 3-inch piece of wick from inside the lighter.

I laid the wick on my computer desk and just stared at it (seriously). My hands were probably the first hands to touch that material since the lighter was made in France in 1917. Oh the places that string has "seen."

Seriously, I am amazed by a piece of wick - and I'm not stoned.

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    My ex-father-in-law gave me a cigarette lighter hand-made from artillery shells by a relative in WWI when he was in Europe.

I just unscrewed the cap and noticed a bunch of string/wick inside it. Using a paper clip, I removed the 2 to 3-inch piece of wick from inside the lighter.

I laid the wick on my computer desk and just stared at it (seriously). My hands were probably the first hands to touch that material since the lighter was made in France in 1917. Oh the places that string has "seen."

Seriously, I am amazed by a piece of wick - and I'm not stoned.

-EJ
    FRRREEEEEEEDDDOOOMMMMM!

Thank you, William Wallace.

That's a great story! Now, vacuum seal it in UV protected vinyl so you don't melt it with your oily fingertips.

I have a similar kind of mind boggle when I walk three blocks from the place I just moved into in New Orleans and observe a house that my father lived in in 1917. Some may recall the actresss Dorothy Lamour from the Road to... Movies -- she lived on the same block at the time.